Mr. ANA*** Respect yourself by respecting others! Never said pB of being incapable of bar-code reading. The point i've been discussing with iknowmore was, EoDF versus Optical A/F! You don't even bother to read the thread before posting lame abusive comments! The point is not just bar-code reading but document scanning too which fixed focus is incapable of! If the bar-code reader works at fixed focus its an achievement!

P.S. Seems like YOU're the trool here!
    Last edited by MUGHALGXT; 05-17-11 at 01:49 PM.
    05-17-11 01:23 PM
    Geezz... back to the point would ya guys?
    To answer the question:
    - Yes, PlayBook CAN scan barcode, but NOT yet.
    - Why? My old SE V640 with 2.0MP fixed-focus camera able to scan barcode.
    - Why not yet? Dunno if it has something to do with camera API or something, I'm no developers. But one thing for sure, if RIM doesn't provide it, others (Third-party) will.
    05-17-11 11:05 PM
    "EDoF BETTER THAN OPTICAL AF" and you know more? I trust in-field experience rather than printed specs!
    Firstly i have never said Edof better than AF, i know its not and wont be.

the camera processor, the 5Mp camera and the 3Mp camera are sourced, all from the same company.
    both cameras are Edof technology.
    Last edited by iknowmore; 06-28-11 at 12:08 PM.
    MUGHALGXT likes this.
    05-18-11 02:59 AM
    iknowmore quote:"yes its cheaper than an AF system since it doesnt have moving lens parts, less material, less handling, less likely to fail"
    That was a comparative statement, from which i comprehended EoF less likely to fail than optical AF! Which i disagreed! Anyways as EoF is software rendering and the imaging microprocessor in Pb is capable enough hence more improvements can be expected! No grudges, hopefully OP got more comprehensive overview than he expected!
    05-18-11 03:21 AM
    Never said pB of being incapable of bar-code reading.
    Uh yes you did

The barcode reader app is of no use as PB has "No Auto Focus Camera = No Bar Code OR Business Card Scanner", an essential feature overlooked by RIM! Even the presets they exhibit in How To Demo like close-up, business etc aren't available in release versions!
    06-01-11 06:26 PM
    I missed the post, thats it, now happy! I meant to point out the ineffectiveness of pb camera for close-up snaps including barcode and business cards scans(at closer view). But seems like bar-code/qr code scanning is achievable as in bb phones. Though no app has shown up yet!
    06-01-11 07:44 PM
    Currently trying to work on a qr reader app. adobe flex on pb does have a working camera api so it is possible, unfortunately i don't know how to code flex need to learn.
    06-01-11 08:06 PM
    Socket Mobile says their CHS barcode scanner works with PlayBook, might be worth a try if you need to scan a lot of barcodes. Socket Mobile - Bluetooth Scanners
    07-13-11 07:52 PM
    07-13-11 08:09 PM
    I've been using the same app. Works well.
    07-13-11 08:18 PM
    yaaas, the free qr scanner in PB app world not only reads the code, but gives the URL destination and the option to follow the link or copy it...
    Sweet deal
    07-13-11 10:38 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD