I am just curious, I dont think i have seen it done yet
    04-20-11 03:30 PM
    Ok, I am glad you started this, because I have been trying to figure out how to do this all evening. However I see from the mass number of replies to this that either no one else cares, or no one else knows the answer.
    05-10-11 08:48 PM
    I am not a PB owner, so I can't test this out...

But on BB's one of the core places you find barcode scanning is in the App World app. You probably already checked this, but did you check the App World app to see if somewhere there is an option to "Scan a Barcode"?
    05-10-11 09:12 PM
    there is no native way to scan a barcode on a playbook. Not to say someone cant write an app for it tho.
    05-10-11 09:18 PM
    Is what is funny about all of this, is that I was looking at an app for the PB on Blackberry App world using my desktop computer and there was a QR code on it. I know that RIM is working on bringing more and more fuctionality to the PB so I hope they will update the PB App World app to scan barcodes like all the other BB's.
    05-10-11 09:22 PM
    yeah just one of those small things missing on this thing.
    05-10-11 10:04 PM
    the funtionality is there, just not enabled yet....

just be patient and it will be out as was in the original demos
    Last edited by iknowmore; 06-28-11 at 12:05 PM.
    05-11-11 04:40 AM
    The barcode reader app is of no use as PB has "No Auto Focus Camera = No Bar Code OR Business Card Scanner", an essential feature overlooked by RIM! Even the presets they exhibit in How To Demo like close-up, business etc aren't available in release versions!
    Last edited by MUGHALGXT; 05-11-11 at 07:47 PM.
    05-11-11 06:35 AM
    we need google goggles for the playbook...that was the best barcode scanner i have ever seen so far. the ones in appworld all suck! and speaking of google...where the **** is google maps!!
    05-11-11 08:27 AM
    Not to get off the subject of barcodes in this thread, but since you asked a silly question. Google Maps is right where it has always been. And on my PB it is the icon right before Bing Maps.
    05-11-11 09:20 AM
    we need google goggles for the playbook...that was the best barcode scanner i have ever seen so far. the ones in appworld all suck! and speaking of google...where the **** is google maps!!
    The Magellan Compass App seems to be a front end to Google maps. It fixes some of the problems with scrolling and zooming that you have if you go to the web version of Google Maps.

Robert
    05-11-11 09:48 AM
    so basically there is still no google maps app yet for the PB? hope they make that and google goggles!
    05-11-11 10:23 AM
    The barcode reader app is of no use as PB has "No Auto Focus Camera = No Bar Code OR Business Card Scanner", an essential feature overlooked by RIM! Even the presets they exhibit in How To Demo like close-up, business etc aren't available in release versions!

what would you rather have? a 95% working PB without QR code or a 70% working one with QR codes included?
    Last edited by iknowmore; 06-28-11 at 12:05 PM.
    05-12-11 03:25 AM
    bro been using android and symbian phones, all bar-code scanning apps require auto-focus camera perhaps an exception can be made for PB. My issue is the HOW TO Videos for camera feature presets like business card and close-up than why were they removed from release versions?
    05-12-11 04:01 AM
    bro been using android and symbian phones, all bar-code scanning apps require auto-focus camera perhaps an exception can be made for PB. My issue is the HOW TO Videos for camera feature presets like business card and close-up than why were they removed from release versions?
    no camera system 'must have' auto focus to work.

this one works and its a fixed focus lens with digital enhancement to make the focus work better.
    just because previous apps needed AF doesnt mean its needed.

all cars used to need petrol or diesel to work, but some now use electric power, same analogy, things innovate.

as to why stuff was removed, probably to make it releaseable in time for release date

better released than not at all
    Last edited by iknowmore; 06-28-11 at 12:06 PM.
    05-13-11 06:02 AM
    excellent example as car batteries are rechargeable with electric power, hence barcode and scanning apps don't need autofocus camera! Great geeks around, these variants own cars too! Also, digital zoom to focus better wow another revelation! never knew digital zoom enhances camera focus!
    05-13-11 10:21 AM
    i didnt say digital zoom, i said digital enhancement.

Image quality is the heart of ST sensor development. We focus on customers needs and help them to achieve the best solution. We offer the largest range of EDoF (Extended Depth of Field) sensors enabling auto-focus capabilities using a fixed-focus system.

EDoF is one of the multiple areas where ST system know-how and expertise can be demonstrated. As well as enhancing depth of field, ST EDoF sensors can be used for a large variety of applications from low-cost "digital auto-focus" to bar-code reading and/or character recognition.
    from the ST website about their 5Mp camera
    05-13-11 10:40 AM
    EDoF technology is incorporated in nokia symbian^3 phones like e7 and c7, thats their cheap excuse for no optical autofocus! I believe it to be more a gimmick rather than any practical alternate to optical autofocus!
    05-13-11 03:04 PM
    gimmick or not its in production and in more phone/camera systems than you probably know.

and yes its cheaper than an AF system since it doesnt have moving lens parts, less material, less handling, less likely to fail
    05-16-11 07:58 AM
    EDoF LESS likely to fail? WHat are you saying, optical AF is more failure-proof technology as incl. physical parts, hence costs more! trying shooting with any old (dusting) AF camera be it phone or full-fledge and be delighted!
    Last edited by MUGHALGXT; 05-17-11 at 10:08 AM. Reason: correction:seems like playbook does have EDoF cameras acknowledgements to iknowmore!
    05-16-11 08:27 AM
    sorry sir you are talking about something you dont know about.

the playbook consists of 2 cameras and an ISP processor supplied by STMicroelectronics.

tear down reports will confirm this for you.

the 5Mp is a 953 Edof camera
    the 3MP is an 854 Edof camera
    and the processor is the 987
    Last edited by iknowmore; 06-28-11 at 12:07 PM.
    05-17-11 03:29 AM
    "EDoF BETTER THAN OPTICAL AF" and you know more? I trust in-field experience rather than printed specs! Surfing around the web everyone can be iKNOWmore! STMicroelectronics XTV0987 5 MP mobile "imaging processor", am interested in CAMERA assembly!
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit

FOR TOPIC RELEVANCE ref. to original poster, no autofocus less likely barcode scanning:
    EDoF Cameras May Not Be Bad, But Nokia Should Still Switch Back To Auto-Focus | The Handheld Blog
    Document capture on Nokia's new EDoF camera phones (e.g. E7)
    Thoughts on EDOF camera technology instead of autofocus | The Mobile Fanatics

centered on nokia, as they were the first to incorporate this gimmick technology in their devices since e52,e55!
    Last edited by MUGHALGXT; 05-17-11 at 10:09 AM.
    05-17-11 09:54 AM
    [QUOTE=MUGHALGXT;6321660]all bar-code scanning apps require auto-focus camera perhaps an exception can be made for PBQUOTE]

Barcode scanning works fine on my Curve 3G with its craptastic 2mp fixed focus camera.
    05-17-11 10:05 AM
    I second that. If my Curve can scan a barcode then the PB surely can.
    05-17-11 11:55 AM
    How do you ignore a user? This trool, MUGHALGXT, needs to be ignored completely. He clearly has no idea what he is talking about. We all know that a physical focus is better, but we also all know with 100% certainty that a fixed focus camera is capable of scanning a barcode.
    05-17-11 01:12 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD