i am asking this question before making a Playbook purchase. i see Bestbuy has a 16 gig refurbished Playbook for $159. the to refurbish or not to refurbish question aside for the moment, i am wondering if i can be okay for a couple of years with the 16 gig storage.

as it stands now, i will not be using the Playbook 16 to store music, pictures or videos. most of my documents are stored in the cloud, and i do zero gaming. i want the Playbook as an extension of the Curve 9310 Verizon Wireless should be shipping to me later next week. that is to say reading and responding to business correspondence, as well as participating in distance learning classes i am taking. i do have a WD Mybook which connects through a mini-usb to usb cable. it draws power from the usb connection.

is there any reason i could not use the 300 gig very small/portable WD MyBook harddrive as storage and file access for the Playbook? if i could it would be a very rare circumstance in which a 16 gig Playbook would not be more than adequate for a very long time.

Mike
    08-25-12 01:33 PM
    The PlayBook cannot connect to USB devices right now. If your harddrive can be accessed via WiFi then it would work though.

I remember saying the same thing about the PB before I bought it and it held true for a while... But now I have 66 albums in there. And I bought pretty much all good games too...
    08-25-12 02:10 PM
    You can brigde to use the Cloud... Just depends on ur data plan, and your phones brigding "power".

My 8520's "power" sucks :s

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-25-12 02:24 PM
    You can brigde to use the Cloud... Just depends on ur data plan, and your phones brigding "power".

My 8520's "power" sucks :s

Being a 2G device, the 8520 can only go that "fast". And Bridge is a connection over Bluetooth, that will only go "this" fast, further damaging final speeds. It gets a little better over 3G, but the real deal is really at OS7 device's Mobile Hotspot.

The cloud can be a solution, but the OP really wanted to use his external drive. Still, since you brought it up...

SugarSync: 5GB free + 500MB per referal. (I'm sitting at 33GB). PC sync, BlackBerry App, no native PlayBook app (use this link for 5.5GB);
    Amazon Cloud: 5GB free + 250 songs uploads free. No PC sync/apps (as far as I know);
    4Shared: 15GB free. PC Sync, BlackBerry App, no native PlayBook app;
    BOX.com: 50GB free for PlayBook users. PC sync on paid plans, BB app (web launcher), native PlayBook app;
    Google Drive: 5GB free. No PC sync/apps (as far as I know);
    Skydrive: 25GB free. PC sync app. No BlackBerry/PlayBook support.
    Dropbox: free 2GB + 250MB per referal. Limited PC Sync, BlackBerry app, 3rd party PlayBook app.

EDIT: Files & Folders app will connect to BOX, SugarSync, Google Drive and Dropbox, which I'm adding to the list now.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-25-12 at 03:19 PM.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-25-12 02:46 PM
    Since the OP said he uses cloud, i thought it would help

But tell me again about Box...

When i tried to register in it, it only gave me like 5 gigs and not the 50 :s

Any ideas?
    08-25-12 03:04 PM
    Since the OP said he uses cloud, i thought it would help

But tell me again about Box...

When i tried to register in it, it only gave me like 5 gigs and not the 50 :s

Any ideas?
    Just two: Download the PB app and log in using it. If that fails, snap a picture of your PB running BOX and send to support asking why are you the ony PB user on 5GB.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    08-25-12 03:16 PM
    Lol Will do that!

08-25-12 04:38 PM
    FYI there is box and blue box, maybe you confused one with the other?
    08-25-12 09:41 PM
    Box=Box
    Blue Box=Dropbox
    08-25-12 09:55 PM
    4am in Portugal now guys, let's wait till morning and see what Pedro has to say about this, shall we?
    08-25-12 10:19 PM
    thanks for all the suggestions. yes i do use the cloud. but due to some less than ideal circumstances i must use mobile usb modem for my desktop computer. yes expensive as i ever want it to get. so i would rather not stream video or audio against my data plan, which is why i was thinking i could use my little portable harddrive. not a big deal, i don't need to be glued to a movie or playlist.

seems strange to me that the Playbook with a USB port cannot read a USB harddrive. but again as long as i can do my school and business functions and i do not use a lot of bandwith, i'm good.

side note. does anyone have an opinion if i should have confidence in Best Buy's refurbished electronics? i like the idea of coming in well under $200 for the 1st gen Playbook, that i will replace with a 4G LTE Playbook when the prices get low enough.

Mike
    08-25-12 10:46 PM
    Loool i was sleeping ^^

I use Box, but registered online and not via PB.

But,when i logged in via PB it upgraded my the 50 gigs

Tks to u all

To OP:

Thats an android functionality, so it really doesnt workshop,by now off course, Since the PB already candidatura play android apps and can be used as an hard drive too, its just a matter of time
    08-26-12 05:07 AM
    Rooted PlayBooks actually did just what you asked for, but rooting is not possible right now. The feature will come eventually, I'm sure. The OS is hardly one year old, lots of good stuff on the way.
    08-26-12 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD