This is a noob question. My company has BIS/BES server so my BB phone can have access to corp email. If I buy a playbook 2.0, do I need to have a BB phone in order to access my corp email, or will the playbook 2.0 directly connect to my corp email system and allow me to do email.

From what I have read, it looks like I need Bridge and a BB phone in order to get access to my corp email. Is this correct?

I have an android phone and was hoping that I could buy the playbook to get corp email access/intranet access.

thx
    02-23-12 08:10 AM
    No, your PB does not connect directly to your company BES, unless your Company is running Mobile fusion, IF your company has ActiveSync enabled, then YES you can connect and get your email through Active Sync.
    02-23-12 08:12 AM
    I am working on setting up and installing Mobile Fusion today if you want any feed back on it I can post some follow-up.
    02-23-12 09:53 AM
    Is Fusion available now? Or you know someone inside?
    02-23-12 10:05 AM
    I am working on setting up and installing Mobile Fusion today if you want any feed back on it I can post some follow-up.
    I thought Fusion wasn't coming out until March?

Also, my understanding is that it requires updated BES software to be installed, too.

I hope my firm -- which uses Good instead of ActiveSync for non-BBs -- installs Fusion. However, that may be too much to ask if I'm the only guy with a PB. Also, more and more BB users in the firm are jumping ship to the iPhone -- meaning that even if an immediate decision on whether or not to install Fusion won't be made, one will have to be made eventually given that BB10 devices will need it. I dread hearing that "we won't be supporting BB10 devices because nobody is buying new BBs anymore."
    02-23-12 10:37 AM
    Yes Fusion is out for a 90 day trial. You cant connect your Playbook to your BES but you can connect it to the BDS (BlackBerry Device Service). BDS is the future BES if you will which will be managing the new OS. Fusion is just the front end that will allow you to mangage BES, BDS and UDS (for iOS and Android devices). You can just install the BDS and connect your playbook to it and use it's MDS service just like BES to connect to your network or you can do the straight ActiveSync to your server. BDS come with Fusion. The great thing about this is that you can use the same CAL you already have on your BES.
    02-23-12 11:03 AM
    I thought Fusion wasn't coming out until March?
    It's the UDS that will allow fusion to manage Android and iOS devices that is delayed and projected to be out by the middle of March.
    02-23-12 11:05 AM
    I have a BES BlackBerry with work, and I bridge email all the time and it works great. We are using server 2003 (dark ages) but with only 15 users on the BB server why pay to upgrade. With this old server I get the classic "Attachment too large".

If your exchange server has a web based login mail.company.com etc etc you can use this with the 2.0 mail program unbridged AND you can download attachments, I get new messages almost as quickly as my phone this way. No fusion no bridge.....

Funny thing is that the main app draws from your bb phones data when there is no wifi.
    02-25-12 07:56 AM
    I've been running MF for a couple of weeks now with great success. The only outstanding issue I have is to figure out a way to only allow BDS connections to connect to Activesync. Right now when I enable activesync for a user any device can connect from the outside using that account. Of course I can add device families to a block list but I would rather only allow BDS/Mobile Fusion to be able to connect to Activesync. I haven't seen anywhere in the docs to do this.

Gary
    03-06-12 02:14 PM
    Yes Fusion is out for a 90 day trial. You cant connect your Playbook to your BES but you can connect it to the BDS (BlackBerry Device Service). BDS is the future BES if you will which will be managing the new OS. Fusion is just the front end that will allow you to mangage BES, BDS and UDS (for iOS and Android devices). You can just install the BDS and connect your playbook to it and use it's MDS service just like BES to connect to your network or you can do the straight ActiveSync to your server. BDS come with Fusion. The great thing about this is that you can use the same CAL you already have on your BES.
    From what I've been through with reps and technicians in getting my BDS/MF in place they use different CALS. BES cals will not be transferrable to Playbook or Android/iOS device licenses. MF has it's own SRP number so therefore they consider this a different product that requires separate licenses. The rumored cost for licenses will be between $69 to $99.
    03-06-12 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD