Ive been reading all the posts and user reviews since day one, and am not looking for a 'Should I buy it AS a replacement' or a 'Why should I buy it' as so many other device posts get asked. But rather, do business users who use a laptop/desktop for most parts of their day, find the PB healthy replacement.

I run my own company and have a small storefront, and it kinda gets annoying pulling out my 16.4" laptop (i know i should have gotten smaller, but the geek in my loved it and its blu-ray player).

But do the business users find themselves neglecting their desktops/laptops?
    And what tools/apps are helping you achieve this?
    I use Outlook for email, AI/Photoshop for Ad and logo design (i know i cant replace this) and how is it with Office documents for editing?

Just looking from some first hand experiences, because I cant really test these things at Staples, as my local staples knows nothing of the PB (Specs and running items) and its always off or dead battery.

on a side note... is there a torrent client for it as well?
    Last edited by Fubaz; 05-18-11 at 10:22 AM. Reason: worried about trolls
    05-18-11 09:46 AM
    I was expecting PB to replace laptops. But I am not anymore.
    05-18-11 09:51 AM
    simply put : NO
    but neither Ipad, Ipad 2, Xoom...

I am a frequent traveller for business (10+ weeks per year) and unfortunately I still have to bring my laptop. Therefore I bought a Vaio series Z 13". Awesome performances, smallest size possible.
    05-18-11 09:53 AM
    I fully agree with bophil in this one tablets will replace laptops in the next 3 to 4 years I strongly believe that.
    05-18-11 09:55 AM
    My generic answer is No way, at least not yet. Too buggy, there is no RDP or Terminal functionality, and the app ecosystem is too thin to make such an attempt.

My more specific answer is: it really depends on what you do with your laptop.

But in fairness, tablets really are not intended to fully replace a laptop if the laptop is your primary system. If, on the other hand, your laptop is an extension of your primary computer, then the answer is possibly. If you do nothing on your laptop but email, web browsing, review and light editing of office files, then it might be able to. Anything more than this, and you still need a laptop.
    nico2004 likes this.
    05-18-11 09:56 AM
    I don't think any tablet is ready to replace the laptop yet.

What I have found with both my iPad and Playbook is that they are really good at being great instant on quality extensions of my basic standard computing.

I have definitely found the laptop could easily stay closed for 2-3 days. When I need to send a document, Docs2go has been great for allowing me to open, edit, forward and send. Tablets have become my primary source for browsing the web, reading, emailing, contact lookup, calendars, videos, light gaming, etc.

If you currently have a Blackberry, it would definitely be an excellent tool for you as the PIM functions would be readily available. I still primarily rely on my iPhone for organizational apps, and will see myself utilizing the PIM functions more and more as they become available.

Hope that helps
    05-18-11 10:02 AM
    IMO, it can't replace a laptop but at this point no tablet can replace a laptop.
    05-18-11 10:04 AM
    just returned from a business trip and used my PB in flight to create some docs, emailed to my office for final processing. i find a laptop useless unless you are in business class.
    i do not expect it to replace my laptop for remote access but i have enquired about this to 01 communique. you ndver know.
    Fubaz likes this.
    05-18-11 10:08 AM
    so, it cant replace my laptop.. but anyone truely care to chime in on my questions or concerns?
    and thanks JerBru.
    05-18-11 10:21 AM
    so, it cant replace my laptop.. but anyone truely care to chime in on my questions or concerns?
    and thanks JerBru.
    I thought I did
    05-18-11 10:23 AM
    Hello Fubaz,

The tablet is not optimal for the tasks of a laptop because it does not have the ability to download to something recognizable by people used to writing code for PC's.
    If you go to any website, the Playbook can display the info better than any other tablet. However, if you get to the point where you want to download from the website, you will not be able to.

If RIMM flexes QNX to be able to do this like it will for android apps then the answer will switch to yes and the playbook will become the best selling tablet in the world. But as of this time, RIMM has not done it.

I am hopeful it does this in the fall or winter though. After it gets past the android player and other upgrades. I am sure it is possible and RIMM seems to get along fine with Microsoft.
    05-18-11 10:24 AM
    Direct replacement, no
    As a light weight companion, yes.

I use the PB for:
    > Presentations: small business videos, pdf and jpg images
    > Adobe copies of small books

> Read and install all kinds of ebooks: in the near future

All the above can be done with my laptop.

Plus:
    > Collecting e-mail on the road, especially when the email does not render correctly on the BB phone.

The following can not do on the PB easily:

> Write and manipulate documents and excell files: at this time difficult or not possible.
    > View and manipulate databases: not at this time.

Regarding your experience with Staples: IMO their 'tech' people are badly trained (in NY City). It is better to get advise HERE!
    Last edited by mandony; 05-18-11 at 10:34 AM.
    05-18-11 10:29 AM
    To me it would come down to what you use your laptop and/or your PB for.

For general computing - compose minor word or excel documents, minor web surfing, email and calendar along with task lists - the PB could definitely replace laptop. Especially if you need to be mobile (which I understand you dont - but I do so that makes the PB better for me).

Once you start wandering into the world of graphics editing and things like that - you are better off with the laptop.

I originally was hoping for a nice companion to my laptop and BB 9650 - but what I ended up with is something that actually can take the place of my laptop while Im on the go. If Im in a building and need to put in a work order - I just stop, flip open the PB and put it in (my work order system is web based). I can also find a quick seat and shoot out an email too. I understand I could do that with my BB to but multi-tasking is so much easier with the PB.

Just my take anyways...
    05-18-11 10:32 AM
    When it comes to playing media and browsing, I have used my PB more than my laptop because it is portable and the browsing is actually smoother on the PB than my laptop.
    05-18-11 10:34 AM
    My 2�:

The PB replaces most of what I did on my blackberry when traveling or mobile and about half of what I used my laptop for.

One of the best tools I have found is aVNC, if you set this up you can still view your laptop screen while walking around your storefront and use programs that aren't available for the PB.

Hope this helps.
    05-18-11 10:36 AM
    You are asking the same question as will, DVD players replace VCRs. Of course the tablet computer will replace the laptop, but it will not happen over night. My playbook has already taken over about 95% of my work load. Once the system is ready for anything and users can do what they need to do completely on the playbook, I am sure the laptops will become obsolete. I know this much, I will never travel with a laptop ever again.
    05-18-11 10:45 AM
    Sure it can, but it is a complicated process. Here is a step-by-step guide for anyone interested:

1. Pick up your Playbook.
    2. Walk over to the desk your laptop is on.
    3. Pick up your laptop and drop it on the floor.
    4. Carefully place your Playbook in its place.

Et voila! Your Playbook has replaced your laptop

But seriously, I'm not a heavy or intense user, but I unfortunately found it can't. On trips longer than a few hours, the laptop has to come with
    05-18-11 10:50 AM
    If you use a laptop mainly for the web and e-mail, then the PlayBook is the best option to replace it. Other non-flash-running tablets will leave you with no options.

I think that the PlayBook will be the *first* tablet that will come close to being a full laptop replacement. I expect this to happen within 6 months as the OS updates roll out and business apps emerge.
    05-18-11 10:55 AM
    If you need a keyboard, then no, a tablet cannot replace a laptop. I see people hook up keyboards to their tablet, hence creating a laptop.
    05-18-11 12:04 PM
    for me it has replaced my laptop, im working on getting a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. i have the hdmi cable. the performance of my PB is way better than that of my 2005 gateway convertible notebook. as the playbook's system matures, it will get even better, and as more apps come, there will be more capabilities. the only thing i need my laptop for now is to load hybrids onto my bold lol
    05-18-11 12:11 PM
    i have the hdmi cable. the performance of my PB is way better than that of my 2005 gateway convertible notebook.
    Good point. Connect the PB <> TV via HTMI cable and you easily play 'Internet' on a big screen ... youtube, TV reruns, .... ya da ya da!
    05-18-11 12:27 PM
    I don't think it is anywhere near a replacement although as others have said it really does depend on your intend use. For me it compliments my laptop although I own a netbook as well and do find use for all. The NetBook can do so much more than the PlayBook but then the PlayBook at times can be more convenient.

I think the tablet will replace the netbook but not so much the laptop. Even though I only purchased a 16Gb they really need to sort the storage vs cost out. Even 64gb is pretty poor storage when you consider what laptops get shipped with these days.
    05-18-11 04:40 PM
    Can it replace my netbook? Almost esp with 1080p content and a full browser but until I see usb on the go, nope. For multimedia playback and business productivity its great! But for everything else not so much but that's how I feel about most tablets. It sure does help that it can connect to my smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 07:22 PM
    For photographing, the answer is absolutely no!
    U just can not run ps in the pb
    I have asked the similar question before the release date, and the conclusion given by the guys here is quite similar

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD