Hi. I have tried the many apps available to my Android phone like Barnacle. They allow me to tether my other devices to it, but for some reason the Playbook does not recognize any wifi hotspot my Android phone creates.. even if I set up the network manually.

Is it possible to tether my Android to the Playbook for free on Verizon? Thank you!
    01-17-12 12:39 AM
    Has to be infastructure type hotspot. The free tether apps are not the right kind. Only way to tether for free is to somehow hack the official verizon hotspot apps. I just pay for mine. $25 for unlimited tethering(company discount, grandfathered data plan).
    01-17-12 12:46 AM
    Yeah, free till you're caught. Horror stories of the charges incurred when caught. Pay for the plan or get a BB phone and bridge.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-17-12 12:56 AM
    I also wish there was something similar to PDANet Tablet, but for the Playbook, that would allow me to tether my Playbook to my Android phone for free. Would buy it for $20 (although the Android version is currently free, but it's beta).

As for the probability of getting caught, eeeh, it's like 0.00000013 Even if you do get caught, the only thing that you will most probably face is an automatic change of the data plan from the moment it was discovered you were violating the T&Cs of your provider. That is, the most horrible thing that will happen to you is an addition of ~$25 to your next bill .
    Last edited by kennyliu; 01-17-12 at 02:43 AM.
    01-17-12 02:40 AM
    What phone do you have? I assume you are rooted? I use the app "wifi tether" (i think the version is beta 6 pre 12 or something like that) and have no problems connecting my playbook

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-12 04:34 AM
    Here's a link to the site where you can find the app. Hopefully you can find a version that works.

android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

kennyliu likes this.
    01-17-12 04:36 AM
    Here's a link to the site where you can find the app. Hopefully you can find a version that works.

Have you tried this with the Playbook? Thanks.
    01-17-12 10:47 AM

That app did not work last summer with my old droid. Perhaps they added support for more types of wifi connections since then.
    01-17-12 12:22 PM
    What phone do you have? I assume you are rooted? I use the app "wifi tether" (i think the version is beta 6 pre 12 or something like that) and have no problems connecting my playbook

Hi, I am using a Motorola Droid X2. ROOTED! Yes.

Hmm... I tried "WIFI Tether" and the playbook couldn't see the connection. But my laptop could, and connect no problem.
    01-17-12 12:49 PM
    Has to be infastructure type hotspot. The free tether apps are not the right kind. Only way to tether for free is to somehow hack the official verizon hotspot apps. I just pay for mine. $25 for unlimited tethering(company discount, grandfathered data plan).
    I have read of others being able to do it though!

Thanks for the link. I am gonna check it out. Been reading so many threads, and can't find a final answer that works for me. Appreciate the help!
    01-17-12 12:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD