Hi guys.. i dont wanna sound dumb or like i belong to another planet for not be to tech savy, i went to best buy last week to buy hdmi cable and a lcd tv so i can stream videos or watch live event through playbook browser and tv through hdmi, but the best buy guy told me they dont sell nothing of blackberry anymore and since he told ke than i just left. ok my question is.. what kind of tv exactly i need to buy in order to see my playbook conten on the big screen?? like watch on the big screen browsing my playbook conten, stream videos and wacth ufc fight live as i always do on my playbook and i wanna see it in a big screen. my tv at home are those old fashion tv, i never had before lcd or plasma tv or wathever they call them.. Which TV you guys recomend me to buy?? please help me out.. before i finish.. my budget is not to much eather.. i got like 800$ currently to buy wathever you guys recomend me, so please give me a good advice like Ya always do!! thanks in advance
    02-06-12 07:31 AM
    get a micro hdmi for about $3 on Amazon and you can buy plenty TV (40"-50" LCD) for the remaining $797. but whatever u do, dont waste ur time n money at bestbuy.
    02-06-12 07:36 AM
    get a micro hdmi for about $3 on Amazon and you can buy plenty TV (40"-50" LCD) for the remaining $797. but whatever u do, dont waste ur time n money at bestbuy.
    yea.. but im asking because someone told me in order to watch the whole playbook conten on the tv through hdmi(browser,videos and live streming) someone told me it must be a smart tv.. its that true?
    02-06-12 07:46 AM
    yea.. but im asking because someone told me in order to watch the whole playbook conten on the tv through hdmi(browser,videos and live streming) someone told me it must be a smart tv.. its that true?
    What is a "smart tv"

Any HDMI port with the proper cord will work. The PlayBook is the "smart" part, the TV is just the display.

I guess "smart tv" are those that include NetFlix and other web applications built-in. If that's what your friend means, then that has no bearing on whether or not the PlayBook can be displayed on the TV.
    02-06-12 07:49 AM
    i can not wait to watch UFC 144 through hdmi but like i said before.. someone can not be any LCD tv but a smart tv in order to do everything i want(watch playbook browser on the tv,stream live conten and stream videos) its that true? Thanks
    02-06-12 07:52 AM
    all u need is a tv that has an hdmi "in". doesnt matter if its plasma, lcd, smart, or dumb.
    02-06-12 07:53 AM
    What is a "smart tv"

Any HDMI port with the proper cord will work. The PlayBook is the "smart" part, the TV is just the display.

I guess "smart tv" are those that include NetFlix and other web applications built-in. If that's what your friend means, then that has no bearing on whether or not the PlayBook can be displayed on the TV.
    thanks for clarify! like i said before.. im not a tech savy at all, so i really dont know about those things, to clarify that was not a friend who told me that, was actually a best buy guy. i was going to buy a toshiba 32 inches but i ask if that was enough so i can watch my playbook browser and stream live conten from my playbook to tv and he told me only a smart tv can do that
    02-06-12 07:59 AM
    What they are telling you is the guy at bestbuy you spoke to is an . You can run all the content on your playbook to ANY tv with HDMI.
    02-06-12 08:00 AM
    What is a "smart tv"

thanks for clarify! like i said before.. im not a tech savy at all, so i really dont know about those things, to clarify that was not a friend who told me that, was actually a best buy guy. i was going to buy a toshiba 32 inches but i ask if that was enough so i can watch my playbook browser and stream live conten from my playbook to tv and he told me only a smart tv can do that, im just wanna know what i really need to do, im not familiar with this situation thats why im looking for your opinion
    02-06-12 08:01 AM
    What they are telling you is the guy at bestbuy you spoke to is an . You can run all the content on your playbook to ANY tv with HDMI.
    well.. if is like that , i just going to buy that 32 inches toshiba at 229$.. but were i can buy a hdmi for playbook now? i dont wanna buy through amazon.. maybe staples got the hdmi cable rite? im in new york but you wont find to much playbooks or accesories
    02-06-12 08:07 AM
    Sometimes I really can't get over the incompetence of best buy employees.

You do not need a smart tv to stream content from your playbook, just an HDMI cable.

SMART TV's are able to play media files from a USB device (ie flash drive, external hard drive).

If what this ID10T was telling you was that your blu-ray player would not work either by his logic.

Maybe best buy's sales would actually increase if their sales people knew about what they were talking about!
    02-06-12 08:08 AM
    thanks for clarify! like i said before.. im not a tech savy at all, so i really dont know about those things, to clarify that was not a friend who told me that, was actually a best buy guy. i was going to buy a toshiba 32 inches but i ask if that was enough so i can watch my playbook browser and stream live conten from my playbook to tv and he told me only a smart tv can do that, im just wanna know what i really need to do, im not familiar with this situation thats why im looking for your opinion
    do some research online for tv's; u should find a good 42" class lcd under $500 (with about 3 hdmi in ports)... or go to costco if u r a member, their sales folks do a good job (i have heard them give good advice to people).
    02-06-12 08:09 AM
    Everything that appears on your playbook screen gets mirrored on your tv if you use an hdmi cable. That includes games, videos, even bbm.

Sound is hit or miss tho... Like for example, not all games pipe the sound to the tv but your media player does, as does slacker radio. I wish there was a wireless/bluetooth way of doing it soon.

For now, a 15' micro hdmi to hdmi chord works fine. My wife has an ipad, and she gets jealous when I play youtube videos and amazon unlimited streaming movies to our tv.

The playbook rocks.
    02-06-12 08:09 AM
    OK. I am getting a feeling here that the OP might have an agenda.

Anyhow, the PB will connect with a 32"Toshiba ( son has one, I have tried it, it works) or a 24" Toshiba (I have one, it works.) As far as I know it will connect with any TV with HDMI.

What it requires is for the TV to communicate with it on the HDMI so it knows it is connected to a TV. I bought a HDMI adapter off Amazon that supposedly adapts HDMI to RGB or composite, so I could connect my PB to my projector. It did not work because it does not communicate with the PB, so the PB doesn't know there's anything connected to the HDMI port.

To reiterate, TVs communicate, Amazon HDMI converters do not.

If you are in doubt, buy yourself a $3 micro HDMI cable, go to the TV store and plug the PB into the demo TV. Check the HDMI tab in the settings menu on the PB and you will see the name of the connected TV. And ignore the moronic comments by the TV salesman, whose sole qualification for the job is that he can wear a tie.
    02-06-12 08:11 AM
    set to default to mirror mode in the HDMI settings on playbook?
    Last edited by balding1; 02-06-12 at 08:25 AM.
    dkip likes this.
    02-06-12 08:12 AM
    Sometimes I really can't get over the incompetence of best buy employees.

You do not need a smart tv to stream content from your playbook, just an HDMI cable.

SMART TV's are able to play media files from a USB device (ie flash drive, external hard drive).

If what this ID10T was telling you was that your blu-ray player would not work either by his logic.

Maybe best buy's sales would actually increase if their sales people knew about what they were talking about!
    wow... i swear that told me that! thanks
    02-06-12 08:14 AM
    Oh, and by the way, if you have a Blackberry phone, don't worry about buying a long cable. When the OS update comes out this month, you'll be able to park the PB over by the TV and control it from your bridged BB :d
    Last edited by RWD; 02-06-12 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling... thanks, PB keyboard :(
    02-06-12 08:16 AM
    all u need is a tv that has an hdmi "in". doesnt matter if its plasma, lcd, smart, or dumb.
    LOL!! that was funny.. thanks brother
    02-06-12 08:16 AM
    OK. I am getting a feeling here that the OP might have an agenda.

Anyhow, the PB will connect with a 32"Toshiba ( son has one, I have tried it, it works) or a 24" Toshiba (I have one, it works.) As far as I know it will connect with any TV with HDMI.

What it requires is for the TV to communicate with it on the HDMI so it knows it is connected to a TV. I bought a HDMI adapter off Amazon that supposedly adapts HDMI to RGB or composite, so I could connect my PB to my projector. It did not work because it does not communicate with the PB, so the PB doesn't know there's anything connected to the HDMI port.

To reiterate, TVs communicate, Amazon HDMI converters do not.

If you are in doubt, buy yourself a $3 micro HDMI cable, go to the TV store and plug the PB into the demo TV. Check the HDMI tab in the settings menu on the PB and you will see the name of the connected TV. And ignore the moronic comments by the TV salesman, whose sole qualification for the job is that he can wear a tie.
    listen.. im getting ready rite know so i can go to buy the tv, one question? it must be a blackberry hdmi cord or any one? im going to take pb with me, when i connect it i just put mirror mode? please tell me the whole proces
    02-06-12 08:21 AM
    listen.. im getting ready rite know so i can go to buy the tv, one question? it must be a blackberry hdmi cord or any one? im going to take pb with me, when i connect it i just put mirror mode? please tell me the whole proces
    ANY chord but remember to get micro hdmi to hdmi..... that is, the chord has the micro hdmi attatchment on one end and the full size hdmi on the other.
    02-06-12 08:25 AM
    Oh, and by the way, if you have a Blackberry phone, don't worry about buying a long cable. When the OS update comes out this month, you'll be able to park the PB over by the TV and control it from your bridged BB :d
    that would be great, but to be honest i did have a bb phone but 2 months ago i sold it and i bought a samsung transform ultra, and the only reason i did that was because i saw pb would not have skype or tango in a while and i dont have that much time to wait.. my parents are all of them in puerto rico and my grandfather is 83 years old, i know he does not have that much time left and at least i can see him and talk trough tango through my phone, and i did it the most because i dont have a pc or laptop with camera.. thats the only reason i left bb phones alone. other wise i would stay faithfull to bb... but hey... i still have my playbook
    02-06-12 08:29 AM
    Well, you should look into features that you want for the HDTV, too, since you don't buy them everyday. Most sets nowadays have an HDMI port. You will want to look for 720/1080p, 60/120/240 hz, 3D, etc. Just don't buy the cheapest thing out there, unless you want to.
    02-06-12 08:29 AM
    Well, you should look into features that you want for the HDTV, too, since you don't buy them everyday. Most sets nowadays have an HDMI port. You will want to look for 720/1080p, 60/120/240 hz, 3D, etc. Just don't buy the cheapest thing out there, unless you want to.
    im taking note rite now while im reading this... whats the difference of those 2 serial number or whatever it is of those hdmi?? anyways, just give me the name or number or the best hdmy cord who actualy work better for the playbook (i prety sure i wont find the bb original one) and how much is it?
    02-06-12 08:37 AM
    Your playbook came with a short micro HDMI cord. Take that with you to Staples or wherever and tell them you want one the same, just at least 15' long.

Take the playbook with you, when they help you pick a cord, take the cord and playbook over to the tv's, plug them in and test.

Away you go.
    02-06-12 08:46 AM
    im taking note rite now while im reading this... whats the difference of those 2 serial number or whatever it is of those hdmi?? anyways, just give me the name or number or the best hdmy cord who actualy work better for the playbook (i prety sure i wont find the bb original one) and how much is it?
    Oh, those are not specs for the HDMI cable. I think any cable will do just so it has microHDMI on the Playbook side and full size HDMI on the TV side. Don't pay more than $10 for it as they can be bought online (Amazon) for much less. They are features that you may want to consider for the HDTV you want to buy. Go to good TV shop in your area and get a good sales guy. He can tell you the pros and cons. Do some shopping. Unfortunately, you may feel obligated to buy from a knowledeable sales guy that helped and you can get it cheaper/no sales tax online.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 02-06-12 at 09:10 AM.
    02-06-12 09:03 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD