I mainly want to watch movies with my playbook but from my bed.

Could I use this: Seagate Central 3TB Network Attached Storage (STCG3000100) : Network Attached Storage - Future Shop

To watch my movies?
    01-28-14 11:08 PM
    Sure, I use a qnap, and a my book live, I stream thru Kalemsoft media player, works very well.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 11:23 PM
    I have a Seagate StoreJet 25M3 Hard drive connected to my Netgear D2200v3 router/Modem. Using Kalemsoft I can stream any Video\Music file from it.
    01-29-14 05:16 AM
    I have a Seagate StoreJet 25M3 Hard drive connected to my Netgear D2200v3 router/Modem. Using Kalemsoft I can stream any Video\Music file from it.
    Is it easy to use? Simply buy Kalemsoft on my playbook and Im guessing the same software on my PC and voila? Easy to set up? Can I watch movies through an external hard-drive connected through my computer not a NAS? (just a regular E-HD)
    01-29-14 02:10 PM
    Bumpskiski
    01-30-14 12:10 AM
    I don't think you actually need the Kalemsoft software on your pc, just if you want to stream while away from home. I think you just have to have windows media player scan the drive then turn on media sharing in network settings and it should work.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:10 AM
    My router turns the Hard Drive into a DLNA device using Kalemsoft see's it. Also I have set my Music and Movies files to allow sharing and I can see them via the Kalemsoft as well.
    01-30-14 05:01 AM
    Im kinda new to all this. Anyone here minds PMing and helping me out!?

At the moment I have a laptop, an external hard drive plugged to my computer, a router and my playbook. I want to watch movies that are on my external hard drive with my playbook.

I appreciate the help a lot
    01-30-14 10:55 PM
    Try sideloading es file explorer onto the playbook. I don't think the newest version works with the playbook, here's the link to the older one.

http://www.estrongs.com/download.html?id=4

(Estrongs.com - official esfe website )

Convert the apk here
    Apk2bar.org
    01-30-14 11:12 PM
    ES File Explorer will work, but so will Ghost Commander (through its Windows Share function), which is in app world and doesn't need sideloading. Either way, you'll need to turn on file sharing in windows and then share your hard drive.
    01-30-14 11:37 PM
    ES File Explorer will work, but so will Ghost Commander (through its Windows Share function), which is in app world and doesn't need sideloading. Either way, you'll need to turn on file sharing in windows and then share your hard drive.
    Yea,but ghost commander is like.. not as good :P
    01-31-14 10:44 AM
    Yea,but ghost commander is like.. not as good :P
    No, it's like, better, depending upon what you want to use it for. It's definitely better for newbies since it doesn't need to be sideloaded. It's a little more difficult for newbies in that there is no scan feature for finding network shares, so your PC's ip address has to be input manually (once), and you must use a usename of "guest" to be able to stream videos.
    01-31-14 11:38 AM
    I know how to sideload, I do all the time with my Q10 (unless its different)

Anyways all i want is step by step to watch movies that are on my computer with my playbook

thanks
    02-01-14 01:18 PM
    I know how to sideload, I do all the time with my Q10 (unless its different)

Anyways all i want is step by step to watch movies that are on my computer with my playbook

thanks
    I'm not a windows user so you'll have to wait for someone else to chime in with instructions on how to set up a shared folder in windows.

That being said, after you have shared the folder containing your movies, go to the lan tab within es file explorer and add your computer as a server. You can either do this manually or by using the scan option.
    Both your playbook and pc should be connected to the same wifi network.

To stream most video formats simply open it using es file explorer. To stream music, click and hold on the folder and use the music option.
    02-01-14 01:39 PM
    Es file explorer, is that an app I need to download on my PB?
    02-01-14 01:47 PM
    Es file explorer, is that an app I need to download on my PB?
    Try sideloading es file explorer onto the playbook. I don't think the newest version works with the playbook, here's the link to the older one.

http://www.estrongs.com/download.html?id=4

( www.Estrongs.com is the official esfe website )

Convert the apk here www.Apk2bar.org
    Then sideload using your tool of choice (sachesi, chrome extension etc)
    02-01-14 02:27 PM
    Okay cool thanks buddy!

I sideloaded ES Explorer on my PB but I still dont know what to do now!

I also have Ghost Commander.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks
    02-02-14 11:05 PM
    With either ES or Ghost, you first have to turn on network sharing in Windows. On your PC, go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center to do this. Then pick folders and/or drives to share. Right click on a folder or drive in Windows Explorer, then choose Properties, then the Sharing tab to share the folder or drive.
    Now, open ES File Explorer and tap on the LAN tab at the top (if you don't see a LAN tab, swipe down from the top and choose "Show Tabs". Now, tap the new button (if it's not showing, swipe down from the top again), and choose scan. ES will then scan for networked devices, one of which should be your PC. Tap on any devices that it finds- one of these should be your PC and you should recognize files and or drives from it. Now, just navigate to any file that you want to stream and tap on it. You should then get the option to stream using either the ES Media Player or "Movies" (for video files), and maybe others if you have any other android media players on your PB. Choose one of these, wait a few seconds, and your video should start to play. (these instruction are based on ES version 1.6- version 2.0 or later may be different)

Now, in Ghost Commander, from the homescreen, tap on "Windows Share". A window will pop up. Here, enter the Server IP address under "Server". Use the same address that your PC was using when you scanned in ES. The Ip address should look something like, 192.168.0.100 Then enter a username of guest, and tap OK. You should now see your PC's shared folders and drives. Again, navigate to a file to stream, and do as you did in ES. One thing you can also now do in Ghost is choose folders that you want quick access to. Tap and hold on your attached drive, for example. A window will pop up. Choose the option to add the folder or drive to Favorites. Then, the next time you use Ghost, you should be able to go into favorites and tap on the drive or folder that you chose and it will take you right to it. Saves a bit of navigation. (ES also has a favorites function, but trying to use it on the Playbook causes the app to crash).
    Marauder2 likes this.
    02-03-14 12:37 AM
    Okay cool thanks buddy!

I sideloaded ES Explorer on my PB but I still dont know what to do now!

I also have Ghost Commander.

Could someone help me out?

Thanks
    The drive should have came with instructions on how to set it up, no? From there, just open esfe and tap the lan tab (if the tabs don't show, swipe from the top and tap show tabs")

On the lan tab click "new" and then "scan" or "server".

Fwiw, you don't need that storage drive from the first post. Try this. On your PC, you only need to right click the folder you'd like to share > properties then enable sharing (or something similar, as I said, I'm not a windows user). If you created a share name here, remember it

With the computer and esfe connected the same wifi network, esfe "scan" feature should find the network share(server). If it finds the server but won't work, tap and hold on the server > edit and add the username and password (disable the anonymous option. if you didn't set these, they are probably the username and password used for your computer account) also add your share name to the server field. If you named your share 'test', add '/test' after your ip in the server field, the server field should look similar to 192.168.1.66/test

With Linux, setting up a share is easssy.. windows I haven't played with much but from the one time I tried it didn't play nice. Lol. Something about my home group, I had to have it set to "work"
    02-03-14 12:43 AM
    With either ES or Ghost, you first have to turn on network sharing in Windows. On your PC, go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center to do this. Then pick folders and/or drives to share. Right click on a folder or drive in Windows Explorer, then choose Properties, then the Sharing tab to share the folder or drive.
    Now, open ES File Explorer and tap on the LAN tab at the top (if you don't see a LAN tab, swipe down from the top and choose "Show Tabs". Now, tap the new button (if it's not showing, swipe down from the top again), and choose scan. ES will then scan for networked devices, one of which should be your PC. Tap on any devices that it finds- one of these should be your PC and you should recognize files and or drives from it. Now, just navigate to any file that you want to stream and tap on it. You should then get the option to stream using either the ES Media Player or "Movies" (for video files), and maybe others if you have any other android media players on your PB. Choose one of these, wait a few seconds, and your video should start to play. (these instruction are based on ES version 1.6- version 2.0 or later may be different)

Now, in Ghost Commander, from the homescreen, tap on "Windows Share". A window will pop up. Here, enter the Server IP address under "Server". Use the same address that your PC was using when you scanned in ES. The Ip address should look something like, 192.168.0.100 Then enter a username of guest, and tap OK. You should now see your PC's shared folders and drives. Again, navigate to a file to stream, and do as you did in ES. One thing you can also now do in Ghost is choose folders that you want quick access to. Tap and hold on your attached drive, for example. A window will pop up. Choose the option to add the folder or drive to Favorites. Then, the next time you use Ghost, you should be able to go into favorites and tap on the drive or folder that you chose and it will take you right to it. Saves a bit of navigation. (ES also has a favorites function, but trying to use it on the Playbook causes the app to crash).
    Wow thanks buddy! I got it all to work!

That being said it seems like it does not play every type of file?! Am I doing something wrong?

I have this .mkv video id like to watch but it wouldn't work with either ES explorer or Ghost commander!
    02-03-14 11:26 PM
    With either Ghost or ES, you can only stream videos that are natively supported by the Playbook, so if you can't play a vid that you've transferred to your PB, you won't be able to stream it over LAN. That being said, the Playbook does support mkv files, but does not support video that contain AC3 audio. That's probably your problem. Your choices are to convert the video to MP4, remux the vids audio to AAC (much quicker), or purchase Kalemsoft media player in app world. If its just one video that you're having problems with, remuxing or converting is easy and can be done for free.
    02-04-14 12:34 AM
    Wow thanks buddy! I got it all to work!

That being said it seems like it does not play every type of file?! Am I doing something wrong?

I have this .mkv video id like to watch but it wouldn't work with either ES explorer or Ghost commander!
    Some formats don't play nice, some media players will play them tho.. but I gave up. But in times like those, i just copy and paste the video onto the playbook and open it from there (before it finishes copying).
    02-04-14 12:49 AM
    With either Ghost or ES, you can only stream videos that are natively supported by the Playbook, so if you can't play a vid that you've transferred to your PB, you won't be able to stream it over LAN. That being said, the Playbook does support mkv files, but does not support video that contain AC3 audio. That's probably your problem. Your choices are to convert the video to MP4, remux the vids audio to AAC (much quicker), or purchase Kalemsoft media player in app world. If its just one video that you're having problems with, remuxing or converting is easy and can be done for free.
    Yea I heard about the AC3 audio encoding! I dont really mind buying Kalemsoft for 5$ if it will solve my problem as most of my movies are in MKV or AVI (I put some AVI on my PB and they wont play either... some do but some dont!)
    02-04-14 11:44 PM
    Kalemsoft is definitely worth it, it's played every thing I've thrown at it!
    02-05-14 07:39 AM
    Kalemsoft is definitely worth it, it's played every thing I've thrown at it!
    Thanks!

Anyone else think I should get it? Most of my movies are not MP4
    02-06-14 12:27 AM
27 12