I know it is a high capacity charger so does it have a negative effect on smaller batteries?
    04-16-11 09:13 PM
    I know it is a high capacity charger so does it have a negative effect on smaller batteries?
    I wouldn't think it would harm the batteries and it depends on what type of Micro-USB your phone is using.
    In the end if it works it might just charge it faster.
    04-16-11 09:17 PM
    I remember someone mentioning that if you use the phone charger on the PlayBook it would take forever - but shouldn't really harm the battery...however the otherway around could? be harmful...
    04-16-11 09:23 PM
    YES. I have charged my PlayBook now with my old smartphone chargers, and by usb on the computer.

It takes longer to charge than the new travel charger or rapid charging stand, but the old chargers DO WORK.
    Lawcheehung and MuruXD like this.
    04-16-11 09:23 PM
    YES. I have charged my PlayBook now with my old smartphone chargers, and by usb on the computer.

It takes longer to charge than the new travel charger or rapid charging stand, but the old chargers DO WORK.
    Have you ever tried the other way around? B/c im going on a trip and I want to pack only the playbook charger.
    04-16-11 09:26 PM
    I remember someone mentioning that if you use the phone charger on the PlayBook it would take forever - but shouldn't really harm the battery...however the otherway around could? be harmful...

Just to tell you, you guys have it backwards he's asking if you can use the PB charger on a BB phone...
    ndon70 likes this.
    04-16-11 09:27 PM
    Hmm... is it better for the battery to charge with a slow charger or fast charger? Maybe it doesn't really matter :S
    Maybe it matters more for a NiMH battery then a Lithium Battery.

I'd feel better if i knew i could change the battery after they start getting old.
    04-16-11 09:33 PM
    Hmm... is it better for the battery to charge with a slow charger or fast charger? Maybe it doesn't really matter :S
    Maybe it matters more for a NiMH battery then a Lithium Battery.

I'd feel better if i knew i could change the battery after they start getting old.
    Wouldn't we all...?
    04-16-11 09:36 PM
    I think the USB charger is the same as other Blackberrys. it's the rapid charger that is higher voltage, but it is not compatible with BBs.

Come to think of it, the playbook has USB OTG which has some advanced power management. it's possible that the charger gives the playbook more voltage, but gives the regular stuff to any non OTG device.
    04-17-11 12:14 AM
    anybody try it yet?
    04-27-11 01:23 PM
    Yes it works, it does charge it faster to 100%, but there is a chance is might be damaging the battery...
    04-27-11 01:36 PM
    I've used it on a recent trip out to Calgary, it did work, but I don't know if there is long-term battery damage
    04-27-11 01:39 PM
    as long as the voltage is correct, the amperage does not matter. both the phone wall charger and the playbook charger are 5v.

the device will draw the maximum amperage it needs, up to the maximum capabilities of the phone/charger.

example: your charger is 1a, but your phone can only draw .7a, it will only draw .7a.

bring your pb charger and you can charge any microusb device that requires 5v.
    lcooksey likes this.
    04-27-11 01:41 PM
    n4bb had an article on this yesterday. they asked this question to blackberry on twitter and they replied by saying that not only it works but charges your bb faster. myself i have used the pb charger and have noticed my bb charging faster.
    lcooksey likes this.
    04-27-11 01:41 PM
    Yes it works, it does charge it faster to 100%, but there is a chance is might be damaging the battery...
    false. no battery damage.
    04-27-11 01:42 PM
    After setting up my PlayBook I received an email from RIM and there was a tip at the bottom.

"If you own a BlackBerry smartphone
    you can use the BlackBerry PlayBook
    tablet battery charger to
    charge your BlackBerry smartphone
    even faster."
    04-27-11 01:47 PM
    I actually remember reading somewhere in RIM documents (forget where exactly) that said explicitly that you can use you new playbook charger to faster charge you BB phone. I've been doing it since I got my PB.

This is where I saw it: BlackBerryPremiumCharger
    Last edited by XPEH; 04-27-11 at 02:09 PM.
    04-27-11 02:05 PM
    Should work fine. They both provide the same voltage, but the PB one is rated for higher current. The actual charge controller is inside your Phone/PB, and that is where the charge regulation is done.
    04-27-11 04:16 PM
    I have been using the pb charger on with my torch since launch. I have not noticed any difference at all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 08:31 PM
    I noticed a big difference with my 9780 and 8520. It charges very quickly when I use the PB charger.
    04-27-11 09:13 PM
    After setting up my PlayBook I received an email from RIM and there was a tip at the bottom.

"If you own a BlackBerry smartphone
    you can use the BlackBerry PlayBook
    tablet battery charger to
    charge your BlackBerry smartphone
    even faster."

Yep - I got the same email. Direct from RIM - you CAN use the PB charger on any BB smartphone.
    04-28-11 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD