The 3-contact magnetic power connector feeds in 12V, right?
    Cars have 12V (unless you are in an ancient VW Beetle!!)
    But nobody sells a car lighter plug to 3-pin magnetic power lead. Why not? is there some electronic cleverness that needs the third pin, and (eg) stops overcharging from 12V?
    OR can I (literally) hack a spare lead that ends with a magnetic plug and feed it with 12 v from a lighter socket?
    Why bother? I find the micro usb power lead does not keep up with the discharge rate if I use the PB as a satnav in the car.
    Any help or info gratefully received.
    John
    08-15-14 12:37 PM
    yes the rapid charger puts out more current and will keep up. Get a charger that puts out at least 2.0 amps and splice it in and you should be good be good. I like the connector on the rapid charger best, if you drop the pb in the car it just breaks away, the micro usb just breaks......
    08-15-14 01:06 PM
    I find the micro usb power lead does not keep up with the discharge rate if I use the PB as a satnav in the car.
    Which micro USB car charger are you using? Try the BlackBerry Premium In-Car Charger (the one with the extra USB slot) and you should be fine as it has a 1.8Ah output just like the standard PB charger / BB Premium Wall Charger. Any microUSB car charger with that output or greater and you should be fine.

But like the other member alluded, make sure the PlayBook is secure. It's heavy and could easily bend the connector if it shifts around.
    08-15-14 01:15 PM
    Are you sure the magnetic interface is 12 volts?
    08-15-14 05:43 PM
    08-15-14 06:22 PM
    Another option, if you're concerned with Frankensteining two chargers together, is to get an 12v/110v inverter to plug the magnetic charger into.
    08-15-14 09:02 PM
    The 3-contact magnetic power connector feeds in 12V, right?
    Cars have 12V (unless you are in an ancient VW Beetle!!)
    But nobody sells a car lighter plug to 3-pin magnetic power lead. Why not? is there some electronic cleverness that needs the third pin, and (eg) stops overcharging from 12V?
    OR can I (literally) hack a spare lead that ends with a magnetic plug and feed it with 12 v from a lighter socket?
    Why bother? I find the micro usb power lead does not keep up with the discharge rate if I use the PB as a satnav in the car.
    Any help or info gratefully received.
    John
    Good idea!
    08-18-14 12:49 AM
    DrBoomBotz:- if you have very good eyesight, you can read the label on the charger, which says 12V 2A.
    But you pricked my curiosity regarding the three pins on the connector. Looking at the pins, with the lead going off to your right, my multimeter reads:
    Left 0, middle 12.21, right 11.97
    intrigued, I checked my other (identical product) one
    Left 0, middle 12.30, right 12.06
    So in both cases there is a 0.24V difference. I have no idea if this is deliberate for some reason, or just a vagary of the way it's made.
    Any electronic engineers out there with suggestions? (I did wonder if the third pin was to enable sensing the charge level of the battery, but I don't see how, given the readings I've just made.)
    BTW I'm in the UK, feeding 230V ac to the charger (which accepts 100-240V input).
    Last edited by johnbb99; 08-19-14 at 08:55 AM. Reason: more info
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    08-19-14 08:47 AM