Hi,

I am fairly new to the BB world and use a BB 9300 via 2G since 3G is very expensive. I am planning to buy the Playbook (64GB) and wanted to check if I can use the Bridge Browser via a Tethered connection.

I wanted to check if its feasible and the speed is decent enough for me not to pull my hair out!

Looking forward to some help.

Thanks

Sid
    07-05-11 01:46 PM
    Its probably really really slow since 3g is slow already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    acdcrocks likes this.
    07-05-11 02:30 PM
    I use US TM with EDGE (2G+) connected to an unlocked ATT BB9000.
    For bridge messages, tasks and memo it works great.
    For bridge browser it is slower then tether browser

Tether browser is half (?) speed of a good WIFI browser, but not too bad for non-graphic intensives sites. Sites built for mobile (phones) work best. Forget about YouTube

I will get the BB9900 (4G) when it comes out, but in the meanwhile I am happy with the EDGE.
    Last edited by mandony; 07-05-11 at 04:59 PM.
    acdcrocks likes this.
    07-05-11 04:57 PM
    @skyscraper04 - Thank you for your reply. I too assume that it wont be as good as a 3G connection (which I thought was good). In India, 3G plans are designed to give 1GB of data for roughly USD 25 per month and usage above it is charged. Hence, I was thinking of using it over my usual Blackberry data plan (Yes - there is no tethered plan like AT&T).

@mandony - Thank you for replying. I too will be using a EDGE connection. If I understand correctly, I can use the regular browser as well when I tether the connection? I look forward to your response.

I agree YouTube is out of the question; but I would like to use it mainly for some social networking and mainly emails & attachments (which look horribly small on a regular BB screen). It is almost impossible to view a PPT without getting distracted on a BB; hence the playbook.
    07-05-11 08:49 PM

@mandony - Thank you for replying. I too will be using a EDGE connection. If I understand correctly, I can use the regular browser as well when I tether the connection? I look forward to your response.

Yes, the browser you use by WIFI is the same as the tether browser and bridge browser... but each is opened individually, and in their own window.

The only thing confusing about their use is each saves it's own 'favorites'. This means you have to do three favorite setups.

You can tether browser and bridge browser at the same time. Also, if you have all three browsers open they will operate at the highest connection speed available!
    Last edited by mandony; 07-05-11 at 09:38 PM.
    07-05-11 09:33 PM
    I was going to share my experience, but its pretty much what Mandony said, down to the current and future device...
    07-05-11 09:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD