After getting some help in this forum I was able to download a bunch of videos to help ease my pain and suffering traveling during family vacations. I loaded ~ 20 movies for my kids to watch. Spent way too many hours reformatting to be able to see and hear on the PB, and was really anticipating a 6-hour trip for Memorial Day.

My hopes were quickly dashed on the Interstate. I think all but one has too little volume to hear unless the PB is held a foot or so from the watcher. Doesn't work well with two kids in the backseat. The volume is ok at home with no background noise, but just the road noise when traveling 70 is too much. Any thoughts on how to increase audio volume? Does any software do this?
    06-06-11 12:05 PM
    I havent found a way yet either. trying to listen to movies on the bus and even with headphones on it's never loud enough.

You can try re-encoding the movies with a volume boost, had that once but it does take a while.
    06-06-11 12:42 PM
    Re-encodeing with volume adjustments will take alot of time. As a short term fix, suggest multi sets of headphones connected to a splitter/headphone amp w/ volume controls.
    06-06-11 01:03 PM
    it would be nice if the built in media players had an EQ
    06-06-11 01:04 PM
    Re-encodeing with volume adjustments will take alot of time. As a short term fix, suggest multi sets of headphones connected to a splitter/headphone amp w/ volume controls.
    I'll file that as a last resort. I'm really hoping to avoid more hardware. I use Super to encode videos that won't play on PB, but don't see an option to increase audio level. Anyone know of software to do this?
    06-08-11 04:38 AM
    I don't know if this helps but while converting videos hd for my pB i prefer stereo sound rather than 5.1, thus ensuring the two speakers on pB rock to full potential! I use handbrake for conversion. Can be adjusted to run at various modes for cpu usage from below normal speed to higher above. Else try demuxing apps for changing the 5.1 sound to stereo.
    MP4Muxer 0.9.3 - VideoHelp.com Downloads
    06-08-11 05:19 AM
    under the setting there is "head phone audioboost" i noticed after .5 upgrade. not sure if it was there before. doesn't help for the speakers i assume by the name but maybe worth a try.
    06-08-11 06:29 AM
    same issue here . i am reconverting all avi files with +15db audio boost
    Last edited by mypearl1; 08-22-11 at 11:09 PM.
    08-22-11 09:09 PM
    Not that you want to listen to the kids movies, but if you don't mind, do you have a 1/8 jack on your car stereo? You could always route the sound thru there.
    08-22-11 10:33 PM
    Not that you want to listen to the kids movies, but if you don't mind, do you have a 1/8 jack on your car stereo? You could always route the sound thru there.
    That would actually work very well adjusting the fader to rear only. Except the vehicle I need for vacation is old school with no jacks. It's darn expensive to keep up with technology!
    08-23-11 05:46 AM
    That would actually work very well adjusting the fader to rear only. Except the vehicle I need for vacation is old school with no jacks. It's darn expensive to keep up with technology!
    Cassette adapter? Or does old school = 8 track?
    08-23-11 12:35 PM
    Cassette adapter? Or does old school = 8 track?
    Haha! Not quite that old, thankfully. I never want to have to re-live wedging pennies under the 8-track to keep the tape on the head
    08-23-11 12:54 PM
    Haha! Not quite that old, thankfully. I never want to have to re-live wedging pennies under the 8-track to keep the tape on the head
    Don't forget, pulling out an 8 track and having a hundred feet of tape stuck inside.

Does it have a cassette? A bit of hiss, but it does work pretty decent.
    08-23-11 12:57 PM
    you may wanna try one of those FM transmitters

FM Transmitters | Best Buy
    02-03-12 08:40 PM
    I have this exact problem with headphones with the PB on airplanes.

Don't want to invest in expensive noise cancellers.

Will try the headphone boost setting.
    02-04-12 12:44 AM
    XMI X-mini II Capsule Speaker - Silver: Amazon.ca: Electronics

(im not saying to get these exact ones... just took the first hit off of amazon)

that may be an easier fix then spending hours re-encoding the video. if time is money then those HOURS will be a lot more money than a pair of cheap and portable speakers. if you will be using it in the car you can put the speakers in a cup holder.

I do this with my iphone all the time when i go on day trips with the kids from work... i bring speakers and they take turns playing songs from their devices, its really popular!

you may wanna try one of those FM transmitters

FM Transmitters | Best Buy
    I was going to suggest this... but my suggestion can also be used outside of the car, so it may be more valuable.
    Last edited by FSeverino; 02-04-12 at 12:55 AM.
    02-04-12 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD