Why do you think RIM would release the PB without 3G or 4G connectivity on it?
    ...because they are? The first playbook is wifi only. 3G versions are coming later, just like Apple did with the ipad.
    01-04-11 12:01 PM
    ...because they are? The first playbook is wifi only. 3G versions are coming later, just like Apple did with the ipad.
    Maybe BB should stop copying ever move Apple does and do there own thing.. I wonder how long BB will wait to release one with 3G...
    01-04-11 01:28 PM
    Maybe BB should stop copying ever move Apple does and do there own thing.. I wonder how long BB will wait to release one with 3G...
    Or maybe they arn't copying anyone at all but are intentionally focusing on one version of the playbook in order to get one working model released as timely as possible? Maybe that was Apple's plan as well? And Samsungs, which still hasn't announced a release date for their wifi only Tab?
    01-04-11 01:45 PM
    Yeah but I don't see carriers letting this go on for long, if at all. AT&T/Apple stopped it with the iPhone, Sprint killed it on my Tour. They could always go in and change the tiered data rates just for Blackberry's too, increase the Blackberry plans cost. Carriers will figure out a way to get money from you since your doing more than what device they sold you can do.
    The way the playbook will tether is trough BIS and BES so data compression still applies. If you thether tour laptop trough desktop manager to a blackberry the BIS connection is interrupted and it uses the WAP connection. Therefore the playbook will be using the included data not extra so no need for extra charges, after all, you can only use one at the time, the playbook or your blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-11 06:24 PM
    The way the playbook will tether is trough BIS and BES so data compression still applies. If you thether tour laptop trough desktop manager to a blackberry the BIS connection is interrupted and it uses the WAP connection. Therefore the playbook will be using the included data not extra so no need for extra charges, after all, you can only use one at the time, the playbook or your blackberry.

why would that be? so you dont think you can be on a call with the blackberry and be able to use the playbook while on the phone? that would be dumb of RIM imo
    01-04-11 07:06 PM

Data compression for the bad blackberry browser is one thing, but data compresses only so much and a fully rendered web page and richer multimedia available via the Playbook will be using more data than a standard blackberry when browsing the web, streaming videos, etc. Your provider will know if you went from using X to 5X the data that something is up. When a provider says that tethering a playbook will be free then I'll believe it.
    01-04-11 08:41 PM
    why would that be? so you dont think you can be on a call with the blackberry and be able to use the playbook while on the phone? that would be dumb of RIM imo
    Not on a CDMA Blackberry. If you're using the internet on the Playbook tethered to your BB, then it's using the data connection. CDMA networks do not support Simultaneous Voice and Data like GSM and some 4G-type connections do...
    01-05-11 12:29 AM
    Not on a CDMA Blackberry. If you're using the internet on the Playbook tethered to your BB, then it's using the data connection. CDMA networks do not support Simultaneous Voice and Data like GSM and some 4G-type connections do...
    right i am fully aware of that, but you should be able to with GSM devices and LTE devices when they come out. and i dont think that is the reason that he stated that either. He is using GSM anyway
    01-05-11 12:37 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD