Does anyone know if you can get silverlight on the playbook? Need it to watch sky-go. Any help would be appreciated.
    03-21-12 05:30 PM
    No, you can't. Microsoft stopped supporting Silver-light so why would RIM start supporting it?
    03-21-12 05:56 PM
    No, you can't. Microsoft stopped supporting Silver-light so why would RIM start supporting it?
    Is that confirmed that ms have dropped Silverlight? Hopefully this will mean we see a shift back to flash or others. Which would be good for us UK users as sky go would complete all I want of my pb also lovefilm use silverlight
    03-21-12 07:24 PM
    Yeah since Summer RIM clearly stated they have no plans of bringing Silverlight
    to the Playbook. Would of been nice too, cause Netflix wouldn't require an app.
    Maritha Bakker likes this.
    03-21-12 07:30 PM
    MS didn't stop supporting siverlight. They stopped developing silverlight. The latest version was released this past December and silverlight, like flash, will likely be around for a few more years.
    cletis likes this.
    03-21-12 07:31 PM
    Is that confirmed that ms have dropped Silverlight? Hopefully this will mean we see a shift back to flash or others. Which would be good for us UK users as sky go would complete all I want of my pb also lovefilm use silverlight
    Yes, here is an article about it.
    Will there be a Silverlight 6 (and does it matter)?
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 03-21-12 at 07:56 PM.
    03-21-12 07:34 PM
    You do realize that the article to which you linked says the exact opposite of what you wrote, probably because it is going on two years old? Maybe you meant to link to this one?
    03-21-12 07:52 PM
    You do realize that the article to which you linked says the exact opposite of what you wrote, probably because it is going on two years old? Maybe you meant to link to this one?
    Oops, sorry!
    Yes, that is the article I meant to link!
    03-21-12 07:55 PM
    I use Windows Home Server and Remote Potato on Windows Media Center, these both use Silverlight as well. Also have two other web based systems at work that use Silverlight, one made by McAfee believe it or not!!

Silverlight is out there and the PB is at a disadvantage because it doesn't support it.
    03-21-12 10:41 PM
    That's too bad my city has a really wiked map app built on Siverlight
    04-04-12 05:38 AM
    nooope. which is why netflix also doesn't work in the browser.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-04-12 05:40 AM
    Rim should rethink not supporting silverlight, we're missing out. sky-go, netflix, etc . . . wouldnt go a miss

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    jonn sz likes this.
    04-04-12 08:12 AM
    I'm in the same boat and would love to see Silverlight support in the browser. Need to be able to watch sky on my playbook. Come on Rim Please?
    04-04-12 08:17 AM
    Reviving a bit of an old thread here, but just to aid my understanding, does anyone know exactly what is likely to be holding RIM back from adding silverlight to the Playbook (obviously imagine we won't be able to find the precise reason without RIM commenting, but hopefully some techhy people here could add a view).

I mean is it a relatively simple need to stump up a licence fee and do some small browser plugin adjustment - or is the browser simply not compatible for some techhy reason beyond me?
    09-05-12 06:24 AM
    Someone might have more knowledge but I believe I've read even MS is abandoning Silver Light.

And Rim does not have much spare change since they've not introduced new phones bringing in lots of new cash.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-05-12 09:55 AM
    Someone might have more knowledge but I believe I've read even MS is abandoning Silver Light.

And Rim does not have much spare change since they've not introduced new phones bringing in lots of new cash.
    Not gonna hunt links down, but that HAS been reported.
    09-05-12 10:54 AM
    Flash has been abandoned by Adobe on all mobile devices and in the future will not be supported on notebook computers and desktop computers in favour of a new product Adobe has released for non-mobile devices.
    09-05-12 11:11 AM
    There is actually an open source version of Silverlight call Moonlight (Moonlight - Mono). Unfortunately, it doesn't support DRM which takes it out of the loop for Netflix.
    09-05-12 11:13 AM
    There is actually an open source version of Silverlight call Moonlight (Moonlight - Mono). Unfortunately, it doesn't support DRM which takes it out of the loop for Netflix.
    Would this work on blinkbox?
    09-05-12 07:10 PM
    Would this work on blinkbox?
    I'm not sure, it depends on how they encode their content I suppose. We would also need the code to be converted to playbook and presented as a browser plugin. I don't believe this is possible with the current browser at the moment.
    09-06-12 10:48 AM
    Is there any chance of sideloading silverlight?... To enable lovefilm etc...
    05-23-13 06:48 PM
    Zero chance of putting silverlight on the pb
    05-24-13 02:51 AM