Hello!

I was forced to do a wipe, now cannot finish setup. Can I flash my Playbook and install BB7OS? At least I could get the device somewhat useful. Just electronic waste as is.
    02-25-22 07:43 AM
    No....

For now it's spare parts if it's not already activated.

Is a chance that someone might stumble upon a fix for the activation, but the boot rom is locked.
    02-25-22 08:22 AM
    Hoping someone can find/develop a fix for this. There must be a former RIM software tech or developer that can do this for us.
    03-11-22 06:30 PM
    not a chance. Its not even close to the same hardware and all development is dead almost 10 years now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-11-22 06:36 PM
    Hoping someone can find/develop a fix for this. There must be a former RIM software tech or developer that can do this for us.
    But why???

The tablet is close to eleven years old at this point, which is considerably past the expected life of such a device. For the number of these still in the wild, and the subset of users who would be interested with a downgrade to BBOS, it would be a more effective use of time to watch paint dry.

Over a decade of life for any electronic device is more than enough to alleviate any concern of e-waste.
    03-22-22 05:04 PM
    Should I even mention about the rumour about what could be done with the Playbook using the Cyclone auto loader....
    03-22-22 05:13 PM
    Should I even mention about the rumour about what could be done with the Playbook using the Cyclone auto loader....
    I believe there was some element of scam or ripoff there....
    03-22-22 06:30 PM
    Yeah I was kind of hesitant to even mention it.
    03-22-22 06:45 PM
    Yeah, I downloaded and tried to install this or some other linux tablet OS but it failed to install. I was even contemplating installing BlackBerry 7.1 OS if it would be possible. Will see what happens either way.
    03-23-22 05:41 AM
    Yeah, I downloaded and tried to install this or some other linux tablet OS but it failed to install. I was even contemplating installing BlackBerry 7.1 OS if it would be possible. Will see what happens either way.
    It's just not going to work.

Where would you find such a thing to try to install anyway?

BB OS 7, like all other BBOSs before it, were made specific to each device. You can't load a BBOS 7 loader made for the 9900 onto a 9310, even though both devices used BBOS 7.1. Just as you can't load a BBOS 6 loader made for a 9800 onto a 9300.

There is no "generic" BBOS 7 loader to even try this with. Every loader is going to be made for whatever device it was released for. And since there was never an BBOS 7 for the Playbook...
    03-23-22 08:58 AM
    It's just not going to work.

Where would you find such a thing to try to install anyway?

BB OS 7, like all other BBOSs before it, were made specific to each device. You can't load a BBOS 7 loader made for the 9900 onto a 9310, even though both devices used BBOS 7.1. Just as you can't load a BBOS 6 loader made for a 9800 onto a 9300.

There is no "generic" BBOS 7 loader to even try this with. Every loader is going to be made for whatever device it was released for. And since there was never an BBOS 7 for the Playbook...
    Well.... as he said, he'll see what will happen.
    Most likly brick his PlayBook, as I don't think reloading the PlayBook OS is even an option anymore.
    03-23-22 09:29 AM
    True, I knew this but was hoping that I could get it to install and run away some how.
    03-23-22 12:21 PM
    True, I knew this but was hoping that I could get it to install and run away some how.
    Folks have been trying going back to BlackBerry admitting they weren't bringing BB10 to the PlayBook. If there was a solution... we'd know.

Now the guy with the Cyclone left a little room for hope (false hope).... using some device found in a shutdown BlackBerry office. But many of us have seen the results of the betas of BB10 running on the PlayBook. There is a reason BlackBerry made the very costly decision to do two GB of RAM (almost unheard of at that time) in their phones.

It is a shame that technology changes so fast and something made just a few years ago is now outdated.... but my PlayBook is painful to use with the OS and APPs of that time frame. As has been stated a now $35 7" Fire Tablet (8" Fire HD is a better buy at $45) makes investing anything into a PlayBook.... a bigger waste.
    03-23-22 01:56 PM
    Yeah, maybe I can salvage some parts out of it, use the screen for something, etc if a solution never materialize. I never used mine other than for watching some videos, listening to music and playing Angry Birds anyway, so the limited RAM specs are not too concerning for me.
    03-23-22 04:04 PM