Hi All -
    I have the 16GB Wi-Fi Playbook and wass wondering if I can add the Kingston Wi-Drive to it. Kingston Tech support states that it only supports Andriod and IOS devices, but I was wondering if it could work with the Playbook. I have not sideloaded Andriod to my Playbook, nor do I want to since my computer skills are not that good.

Any advice would be very helpfull.

Thanks!!!!
    03-25-13 07:55 PM
    I can't answer the specific question but sideloading in general is pretty easy and straightforward. If you don't like the results you can also remove the sideloaded app.

I forget which brand folks are using but it was not Kingston, although let's see if anyone knows if that will work.
    03-25-13 09:59 PM
    Yes, it will work.

Perhaps message this guy for assistance, as he has made a post about it in the past and has gotten it to work.
    03-25-13 10:59 PM
    At the experience forum that were talking about wifi drive support coming from one of the big drive manufacturers, seagate or wd, I can't remember which.

Edit: just realised this is in playbook forum. They were talking for bb10 at forum.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-13 11:01 PM
    Seagate wi fi drive works. I use it with the playbook. Gives me an extra 500 gigs of memory when I'm out and about.
    03-26-13 12:10 AM
    The Seagate Goflex Satellite works well. As the previous post mentioned, it works off wifi. You can either stream files directly from the drive or transfer files between the two units. The accompanying documentation refersto working with ipad and android products and states that BB is not supported. However the drive will work between unsupported products via the browser. It can be buggy though. If you or any one else around you are using bluetooth, the drive will kick you out. Also for some reason, if I want to download a file from the drive, I have to open a second tab in the browser. I'd recommend it though.
    03-26-13 12:43 AM
    I have a 32GB Kingston Wi-Drive. If you put http://192.168.200.254/ into the browser, your PlayBook should connect. Of course, you have to add it to your wi-fi connection. You can stream to the PlayBook, though I like to download the files onto the PlayBook.
    03-26-13 01:06 AM
    Works FANTASTIC!

You can have up to 3, count 'em 3 users accesing vids or audio at the same time!

Battery life is good, last longer than PB when watching movies on a long flight.

The only caveat is that is one way, from satelite from the factory only transmits to the PB (or other wifi device).

BUT, for about 35 bucks, you can download a Firmware "hack" that would allow 2-WAY transfers, from and to the drive.

So it kind of acts as a 1 Terrabite plug-in flashdrive! Best Buy had them on sale for 99.00 a few weeks ago,
    I bought one and was wondering "Why did I wait". I have my ENTIRE CD collection, and every movie I own on it.
    Long trips, I have my complete library with me for use on the "Human Mailing Tube", or the Hotel TV.

Avery slick unit.

C
    03-26-13 09:46 AM
    Works FANTASTIC!

You can have up to 3, count 'em 3 users accesing vids or audio at the same time!

Battery life is good, last longer than PB when watching movies on a long flight.

The only caveat is that is one way, from satelite from the factory only transmits to the PB (or other wifi device).

BUT, for about 35 bucks, you can download a Firmware "hack" that would allow 2-WAY transfers, from and to the drive.

So it kind of acts as a 1 Terrabite plug-in flashdrive! Best Buy had them on sale for 99.00 a few weeks ago,
    I bought one and was wondering "Why did I wait". I have my ENTIRE CD collection, and every movie I own on it.
    Long trips, I have my complete library with me for use on the "Human Mailing Tube", or the Hotel TV.

Avery slick unit.

C
    Are you talking about the Kingston or some other brand? I don't see a Tetra-size from Kingston. Thanks in advance.
    03-26-13 10:16 AM
    Which drive was on sale for $99 at bestbuy?
    03-26-13 11:20 AM
    Think he means the Seagate satellite, wifi drive. It streams great! Use it alot, movies, music etc. Not the most elegant interface but I like it in file mode and it is easier to use that way. Do a search, there was plenty of discussion on it in the pb forum some time ago.
    03-26-13 08:22 PM
    Thank-you.. I just recieved this hard drive. I tried using http://192.168.200.254 but I was unable to add the browers... this was after trying to add it to my wifi. Can you provide the steps needed to add this device please? Also - do you know if I can access Wrod and Excel files too?

Thanks again!!!
    04-01-13 06:49 PM
    Thank-you.. I just recieved this hard drive. I tried using http://192.168.200.254 but I was unable to add the browers... this was after trying to add it to my wifi. Can you provide the steps needed to add this device please? Also - do you know if I can access Wrod and Excel files too?
    Thanks again!!!
    This is about the Kingston Wi-Drive. For more information go to this link
    products
    Read the FAQ. It should explain most things. I have not used Word or Exel files.

After turning the power for the Wi-Drive on, wait for the blue light for the wi-fi to come on. Go into
    Settings>Wi-Fi. Connect to Wi-Drive. Wait for a moment, it will then say you need to log into HotSpot. I don't use a password, but I push ok. Then I close that Window. Open the browser and use http://192.168.200.254/
    04-02-13 12:23 AM