Here's an issue I hadn't come across before with the BlackBerry Bridge pairing with my PlayBook...
    I've never had problems pairing and using the bridge function with my Pearl 9100 and PlayBook (both currently running the most recent versions of their respective software) other than the bridge icon occasionally disappearing, but I think we might all have been there at some point!
    Yesterday when I tried to link them and do a Google search, I got a message in a dialogue box telling me that my service provider does not allow this type of connection to make use of the data allowance, but to feel free to go ahead and just browse via my handset (I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was essentially the gist).
    Does anyone know if service providers are suddenly able to do this? As I understood, the idea of the BlackBerry Bridge was that it was a bit of a workaround to regular tethering which required another data plan. Seems strange to me that it would just stop working overnight, and then deny me access giving a very specific sounding reason as to the nature of the stoppage.
    I contacted my provider to find out what was happening, and after a lengthy discussion with a foreign chappy in a faraway tech support Centre, I was eventually informed that they do not - indeed never have - had support for this type of service on their network. He even went so far as to describe that he had no way to investigate or rectify this matter, as they don't even have the tools to do this, due to the fact that it had never been introduced in the first place!
    My bull$%| alarm has been ringing long and loud by now, and I'm more than just a little bit over it. In the interest of naming and shaming this repeat offender of a provider - its Telstra (Australia ). If there's anyone out here with a bright idea (or otherwise) on how to resolve this, or has even had something similar happen to them, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers.
    06-06-12 12:02 AM
    I know that AT&T in the US have restricted bridge access by way of "tweaking" the bridge app you would download from the App Store.

There's a simple way round that, however - uninstall your bridge app from the phone, battery pull or restart when prompted. Then visit: RROYY - BlackBerry Bridge and download bridge from there. Hey presto, you should be back online.

If that doesn't sort your problem, then I'm stuck, but hopefully that may help...

Barljo
    Pmungus, zstone81, BLu and 3 others like this.
    06-06-12 01:59 AM
    Yesterday when I tried to link them and do a Google search, I got a message in a dialogue box telling me that my service provider does not allow this type of connection to make use of the data allowance, but to feel free to go ahead and just browse via my handset (I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was essentially the gist)..
    Do you have the exact error message? I get something regarding mobile network, but it has nothing to do with Bridge, as we are allowed it in Canada. I think when I get the error, it is more due to the site thinking I am on a mobile because of the bridge connection. It has happened a few times, especially when I drop wifi and it jumps to the Bridge on the phone mid session.
    06-06-12 09:23 AM
    Was it this message?
    "Your wireless service provider does not support sharing your Blackberry smartphone's internet connection with this tablet. you can use your Blackberry smartphone to view this page"

If so it would be the third time in two days I have seen this someone mention it in the past few days. Different carriers and BIS/BES. Hoping it's just coincidence.
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-06-12 09:41 AM
    Mine started this today. I have verizon and an unlimited data plan.
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-06-12 03:15 PM
    which version do you download, how do you tell what you need?
    was able to download and knock on wood fix my bridge. I hope and pray.
    Last edited by ladybug473; 06-06-12 at 06:25 PM.
    06-06-12 03:16 PM
    Staying tuned. I haven't had to use bridge in a couple of days but I'll try it later. Hopefully it isn't blocked.
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-06-12 03:56 PM
    which version do you download, how do you tell what you need?
    That is determined by your phones operating system.
    Options-device-about
    Try the latest bridge version that matches your phone OS.
    Barljo likes this.
    06-06-12 06:02 PM
    Here's an issue I hadn't come across before with the BlackBerry Bridge pairing with my PlayBook...
    I've never had problems pairing and using the bridge function with my Pearl 9100 and PlayBook (both currently running the most recent versions of their respective software) other than the bridge icon occasionally disappearing, but I think we might all have been there at some point!
    Yesterday when I tried to link them and do a Google search, I got a message in a dialogue box telling me that my service provider does not allow this type of connection to make use of the data allowance, but to feel free to go ahead and just browse via my handset (I'm paraphrasing of course, but that was essentially the gist).
    Does anyone know if service providers are suddenly able to do this? As I understood, the idea of the BlackBerry Bridge was that it was a bit of a workaround to regular tethering which required another data plan. Seems strange to me that it would just stop working overnight, and then deny me access giving a very specific sounding reason as to the nature of the stoppage.
    I contacted my provider to find out what was happening, and after a lengthy discussion with a foreign chappy in a faraway tech support Centre, I was eventually informed that they do not - indeed never have - had support for this type of service on their network. He even went so far as to describe that he had no way to investigate or rectify this matter, as they don't even have the tools to do this, due to the fact that it had never been introduced in the first place!
    My bull$%| alarm has been ringing long and loud by now, and I'm more than just a little bit over it. In the interest of naming and shaming this repeat offender of a provider - its Telstra (Australia ). If there's anyone out here with a bright idea (or otherwise) on how to resolve this, or has even had something similar happen to them, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers.
    I'm with Optus and haven't had a problem. Having said that I usually tether once I'm bridged which makes things much faster. Thankfully since I'm on a Blackberry Plan with them, the tethered data costs nothing.

If it weren't for the fact that Telstra own all the infrastructure and you can only get reception in some remote areas with them, most people would have ditched them years ago.

I am wondering if the introduction of the NBN has anything to do with their new policy?

Just a thought!
    Pmungus likes this.
    06-06-12 06:27 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their responses - sorry I'm so slow to get back (shift work and all that...)
    Haven't tried the fix suggested by Barljo yet, but will give it a go later today to see what happens.
    Chaddface - that was the exact error message!
    Chaplain_Clancy - you are SOOOO right about Telstra. Only reason I'm with them is because I headed west for work, and it was alleged I'd need the Telstra NextG network. Strangely, my wifes Optus mobile "worked better in more places" (literally). Not sure about the whole NBN angle, but it wouldn't surprise me if those dirtbags have something underhanded going on in the background.

Thanks again, will post the result of the attempted fix as soon as I get a chance to try it.

P.
    06-07-12 10:21 PM
    I got a message in a dialogue box telling me that my service provider does not allow this type of connection to make use of the data allowance, but to feel free to go ahead and just browse via my handset

Cheers.
    I had the same problem as you with bridge 2.0.0.30 on a different carrier. Go to rroyy.com and download the 2.0.0.25 version of bridge. Your problems will be solved. Don't forget to donate.
    Last edited by Just Me; 06-07-12 at 11:58 PM.
    rbrooks86 and Pmungus like this.
    06-07-12 11:53 PM
    Thanks to everyone for their responses - sorry I'm so slow to get back (shift work and all that...)
    Haven't tried the fix suggested by Barljo yet, but will give it a go later today to see what happens.
    Chaddface - that was the exact error message!
    Chaplain_Clancy - you are SOOOO right about Telstra. Only reason I'm with them is because I headed west for work, and it was alleged I'd need the Telstra NextG network. Strangely, my wifes Optus mobile "worked better in more places" (literally). Not sure about the whole NBN angle, but it wouldn't surprise me if those dirtbags have something underhanded going on in the background.

Thanks again, will post the result of the attempted fix as soon as I get a chance to try it.

P.
    How far west? I could understand if say you had to go to Bourke or Broken Hill (Having said that I had flawless 3G the last time I was in Bourke,) but if you're at Dubbo or Parkes, I know that other carriers have acquired good network access off Telstra.

Anyway I hope you get it solved. Rroy seems to have pretty good solutions for the AT&T customers in the US of A.
    06-08-12 12:09 AM
    OK, for all those with this same issue, I downloaded the bridge version from rroy.com/bridge, and am happy to say it the whole lot works again beautifully!
    Barljo likes this.
    06-08-12 12:13 AM
    I'm glad it worked for you and concerned you had this issue.
    06-08-12 06:10 AM
    Ever since I downloaded the latest update for Bridge, I am blocked from using it for internet on my playbook. I am with Sprint. I am downloading the .25 version now and gonna give this older version a try

EDIT: I uninstalled the latest version and went back to version .25 and I have my browsing ability back. Thank you thank you thank you
    Last edited by rbrooks86; 06-10-12 at 10:17 PM.
    06-10-12 10:07 PM
    Thanks Barljo for #2!
    I'm using Giffgaff in the UK, and deleting Bridge .30 to swap for .25 from rroy solved my problem (exactly the same as OP's).
    Barljo likes this.
    06-11-12 04:48 AM
    No problem - glad to help out.

One question (sorry to thread hijack!) - how is the GiffGaff data coverage? I'm thinking of them for my roaming data when I leave my home network to go into UK as their PAYG plan looks a pretty good deal (would be using a MiFi thing).

Cheers!

Barljo
    BLu likes this.
    06-11-12 06:38 AM
    Yeah, it's definitely a steal financially.
    They use O2's masts so coverage is very decent.
    I am in a city though, and to be honest O2 are known to be worse than others for rural locations. I do often see 3G drop to EDGE or even GPRS when travelling, so that's something to consider.

Apparently ThreeUK offer a very good 15 1-month deal with similarly unlimited data too, but I'm unsure about their coverage.
    (If it weren't for your Bridge fix I was going to find out first hand today!)
    Barljo likes this.
    06-11-12 06:47 AM
    Why are you all getting the older version? Doesn't the newest version from rroyy work? I think it should.
    06-11-12 06:57 AM
    Curse my efficiency!

Thanks for coming back - Will see what happens the next time I'm on "the other Island" as we call it over here!

Barljo
    06-11-12 07:03 AM
    Curse my efficiency!

Thanks for coming back - Will see what happens the next time I'm on "the other Island" as we call it over here!

Barljo
    as it happens it is only recently that i noticed my data plan with o2 in the uk includes tethering. It is included in the blackberry bolt on you need to buy to recieve blackberry services.
    06-11-12 07:08 AM
    Curse my efficiency!

Barljo
    Gimme a PM with your address if you fancy a GiffGaff sim with 5 free credit to give it a try. (Benefits me too).
    06-11-12 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD