They will have no alternative but do warranty work. After that, I think they will begin dropping repairs. For one thing, parts will become unavailable.

Having worked for software companies for over 30 years, I expect occasional bug fixes, for a time, but don't look for any enhancements.
    07-04-13 10:16 PM
    if they continue releasing utilities and the developers continue with updates, I'm happy with it the way it is proceeding. I use it for work in the HVAC trade, so it is employed primarily as an email tool, with research and time management a close second and third.
    07-04-13 10:58 PM
    Again, the update was likely killed more due to business / developer issues than due to technical ones. There is ample reason to believe that it was possible to implement a functional version of BB10 on the PlayBook. It could even be something as simple as Nokia refusing to allow the timeshift camera to be implemented or something of that nature.

I believe we'll see another "dot" update to the PBOS but that is strictly my own opinion.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    Yes, I believe the same! Right from the begining it was just smelling like dumb nonsene and I feel therefore completey right calling the BBRY defenders on this forum (aggreeing that this excuse isplausible idiots! I'm sorry to be rude but what a community is this if we do not support ourselfs as customers...Instead we PB owners should be quit and eat the bull**** we got served last week. Unbelievable!
    07-05-13 04:37 AM
    Why does everyone discount the hardware problem so easily? If they could have made BB10 work on PB nothing would have realistically stopped them from releasing it on some earlier date. Success (and praise from the community) does not necessarily have to wait for fiscal quarters to end.
    Because it is a nonsense. So many people here have already posted how less other OS require, so 2GB means BB10 is ressource hungry like hell (like no other mobile OS) and this leads to other conclusions. They just put all the tools & libraries and frameworks together without optimising it because of the need to push it out sooner than later. They're now working on taming this infficient beast again, but they simply have not enough interest to spend resources on the Playbook. They prefer continuing to live with the crappy OS on top of QNX because they do not believe in themselves being able to optimise enough while loosing the market. BUT there is no technical reasons why you could not strip of some things and bring a reduced version to the Playbook. Even more possible is that they would still need just a bit of work on PB to get it running smooth (so possible), but this bit of work + updating documents, teaching their support channel and so on is the reason why they cancelled it.
    07-05-13 04:48 AM
    They CAN... but they understand our feelings.. therefore they don't want us to hear it...

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 04:52 AM
    I noticed the comment about auto stand-by after 5 minutes. Yes, I wish this could be changed but I am sure many have found apps that keep the Playbook constantly on. I use "Alarm Night Clock" by Yaybe GPS Maps Apps. I keep my two PBs on charging stands with the clock on. Keep one at work on my desk and simply swipe to check incoming e-mail even as I am creating another document on my laptop. Don't even have to wake it. I know many of you are disappointed that BB10 isn't coming, but this is a very useful device. I carry my home unit when I am traveling for business and watch YouTube or NFL Game Rewind while having dinner. Better than staring at the restaurant walls. I think the 7 inch screen is the best balance between view-ability and portability. After all is said and done, I have received my money's worth on both of my PBs.
    07-05-13 05:00 AM
    I believe BlackBerry technical resources are overstretched right now - and dumping the PlayBook appeared to be the least costly alternative for them. I don't think it was the best decision, the PR damage is too great in my opinion for a company that needs every loyal fan left.

--------------------------------

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    El Bori and kraschute like this.
    07-05-13 05:08 AM
    I'm sure I am not alone in desiring a bit more information on what that statement meant.
    Does it really matter what BlackBerry meant by the statement?
    Does anyone believe what they say anymore?
    07-05-13 05:58 AM
    I believe BlackBerry technical resources are overstretched right now
    Good point. They were at - what 20,000 at their peak and probably more like 11 or 12,000 now?
    07-05-13 09:55 AM
    It would be nice if they defined what continuing support means but they won't. Given their track record of delivering on public statements, they would be crazy to announce anything before they actually accomplish it. At this point I have zero expectations for any updates.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 10:14 AM
    I seriously doubt there will ever be any future update for the playbook. It's dead. You have the device you're going to have, so you need to decide if it meets your needs or not. I would think they would continue to offer hardware support/repairs, but that's it. After all this, I'm surprised anyone thinks or hopes there is an update coming to fix these problems. If there was one, we'd have it.
    07-05-13 10:16 AM
    I seriously doubt there will ever be any future update for the playbook. It's dead. You have the device you're going to have, so you need to decide if it meets your needs or not. I would think they would continue to offer hardware support/repairs, but that's it. After all this, I'm surprised anyone thinks or hopes there is an update coming to fix these problems. If there was one, we'd have it.
    That's the sad state of playbook. Everyone other than BlackBerry speculate what's going to happen. Even statement from the company no longer means anything. Lost in space indeed.
    07-05-13 10:32 AM
    They'll pick up your phone call, solve your problem on playbook. That's support
    07-05-13 10:37 AM
    The reality is they have killed it, they mislead or lied to customers (take your pick) and now cannot be trusted. If anyone believes a real substantive update is coming, I have some land to sell you. Best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I would not trust bb now with anything. I just do not undestand how a company could be so inept, unless, they never had any intention to deliver and instead used this to pump sales of excess pb's and zo10/q10, I fo one would have never bought a z10 had I known.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    07-05-13 12:29 PM
    Define continued support for PlayBook? Ummmmm.... ummmmmmm..... errrrrrr...... I'll get back to you on that......

Heinie was probably winging it again like he did when he said BB10 would be coming to PlayBook. Just another lie in an attempt to pacify a small segment of his customers. Imo it will never be defined by BBRY and the PlayBook will slide into the dustbin of history,
    07-05-13 02:36 PM
    they did announce that there would be Continued Support for the PB but that phrase was not defined.
    I'm sure I am not alone in desiring a bit more information on what that statement meant.
    I think it should be clear that BBRY is completely uninterested in defining, clarifying or committing to anything. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me... It looks to me like Playbook owners have been fooled a dozen times or more over the last couple of years. I'll keep using my Playbook and OS7 phone as long as they are useful and after that I'm done with Blackberry.
    SEAWARRIOR and heppyX like this.
    07-05-13 08:15 PM
    I think it should be clear that BBRY is completely uninterested in defining, clarifying or committing to anything. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me... It looks to me like Playbook owners have been fooled a dozen times or more over the last couple of years. I'll keep using my Playbook and OS7 phone as long as they are useful and after that I'm done with Blackberry.
    EXACTLY

I'm done with BB after 6 years, I'll never buy or recommend BB again and I will dissuade potiential purchasers with my HONEST experiences of BB and how they treat their customers/end buyers. Sh*t on me once, your the dunce...

Oh BB did I mention I SELL devices to end users ?
    wired cleric, heppyX and dmlis like this.
    07-05-13 08:54 PM
    When BlackBerry said that they will still continue to support the PlayBook after saying that BB10 will no longer be coming to Playbook, it means the same as "BB10 is coming to all versions of PlayBook"...

They probably have this book so-called "Ten Thousand Ways to Reason Out"...

Posted via Z10
    07-05-13 10:23 PM
    I know quite a few Playbook (pb) users are pretty disappointed (understatement) with last week's announcement that bb10 would not be coming to the PB. Others are indifferent and quite happy with the existing situation.

Be that as it may, they did announce that there would be Continued Support for the PB but that phrase was not defined.

Does this just mean that warranty and out-of-warranty repair will be available?

Does this mean that BBWorld will remain open and selling apps that work on the PB?

Does this mean that they will fix some existing (eye of beholder) bugs?

Does this mean that there might actually be upgrades to the existing OS 2.x operating system and some enhancements?

Let's see if I can explain this...it's kind of like when you really like this girl but she never showed any interest but somehow you convince her and you guys have been dating for a while and then she tells you it might be a good idea to take a break. Yeeeeaaah...it's over.

I think Crackberry needs to create some sort of a rehab forum for PB owners. It's time to move on, there are so many better options now than PB. Just let it go, sell it, use the money and buy some chocolate cake as comfort food and hit up ebay to pick up a Nexus 7 or iPad mini or one of the many other android tabs.

And if at this point, after all thats happened in the past couple of years with BlackBerry, if you believe anything they say then I just don't know what to say. If BB told me the sky is blue, I wouldn't believe them until i looked up to make sure!
    FF22 likes this.
    07-06-13 09:31 AM
    ^^ This. It's over guys. Let's face reality. Another thread was started, the op called and asked what support was going to be offered for pb and it's technical. Don't hold your breath for an update. Pb is dead.
    thevacantsoul likes this.
    07-06-13 09:37 AM
45 12