05-03-13 02:41 PM
30 12
tools
    I need a "fold open" style leather case (or fake leather is fine too). I haven't had my hands on the RIM version yet, but I've seen a review that says the quality is not good for the $50 price, and that the USB port is only accessible when the cover is open, so it can't be charged with the cover closed. Anyone have the RIM case and can confirm this?

In general, 3rd party cases seem to be few and far between so far. I know it's still early on in it's lifetime, but I expected to have a few more choices available...

Targus looks like they have a couple of models on Amazon that I might try. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it!
    04-26-11 09:38 PM
    I purchased both the RIM convertible case and the Targus Truss case and returned them both because you can't charge the PB when the case is closed. I did have my heart set on getting a convertible case, but I went out on a mission today and tracked down a store that had the Otterbox and I really like it.

oh yeah, I also tried a case made by Hip Street as well that had the bluetooth keyboard included, but ran into the same charging issue and the case covered too much of the bezel for gestures.

I have given up on the search for a folding case, but I hope you find something that works
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 09:51 PM
    i got the jewel case made by rim, yes you cannot charge the device when the case is closed but you can fold it completely and the usb socket will be accessible, the quality is really nice and it feels good in the hand (i know that's what she said), i kinda think $60 is a little too much for a case but oh well.
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 10:24 PM
    Have you looked at the Dodo Case. They made their reputation with the ipad, but are now making one for the PB. It is made of bamboo and has some unique features.
    NobleSix, jpg and mr_biscuit like this.
    04-26-11 10:46 PM
    I need a "fold open" style leather case (or fake leather is fine too). I haven't had my hands on the RIM version yet, but I've seen a review that says the quality is not good for the $50 price, and that the USB port is only accessible when the cover is open, so it can't be charged with the cover closed. Anyone have the RIM case and can confirm thiis?
    I purchased both the journal and convertible case. The short answer to your question is, yes the case has to be open to charge the device.

The price was high for both cases and I tried to look online to see if I could get one cheaper but seems like they are doing well selling them (Blackberry.com out of journal cases). The quality of the cases are fine. I wasn't looking for bespoke leather with double stitching so it suited my needs. To be honest the main problem I have with both these cases are the buttons don't line up with the volume and power buttons well. It makes it hard to press power or volume. At the end of the day, I returned the slightly more expensive journal case because I didn't like the elastic band that held the case closed. I also like propping my Playbook up for typing with Bluetooth keyboard.

One thing to note is in both of these cases the Playbook sits down inside a hard rubber or plastic shell like case that snuggly fits the Playbook. That shell is stitched into the leather (for journal case)or pleather (for convertible case).

Hope this helps you.
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 10:55 PM
    Have you looked at the Dodo Case. They made their reputation with the ipad, but are now making one for the PB. It is made of bamboo and has some unique features.
    Oh ya i got a tweet from them the other week. Unique looking case and reasonably price considering it's hand-made. Although it looks like the bamboo covers the microphones.

And either the power button area, or usb area depending on which why it is put in.

iPad Cases by DODOcase

Ya i'm looking for a case too. Also Wondering if the BlackBerry PlayBook Skin is any good.
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 10:59 PM
    04-26-11 11:01 PM
    I have a leather sleeve case and it works well. I can turn the playbook around in the case with the power button down to recharge it while it is in the case. I also bought the charging dock as well. At work I lay the case on my desk and lay the top edge of the playbook on it. The angle is perfect for reading and browsing. At home for reading, I usually hold it while relaxing on the sofa. I recommend waiting a bit until your friends buy cases and then demo theirs for a bit to see what suits you best.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 05-23-11 at 11:01 AM.
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 11:23 PM
    Check ebay and deal extreme.
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 11:24 PM
    The DODO case is the orientation that I'm looking for, I can't believe the BB journal case has it backwards to not allow charging while inside.

I like the exterior portion of the DODO case, the bamboo gives it an interesting look and I wish there were business card slots instead of the big dodo there..hmm
    mr_biscuit likes this.
    04-26-11 11:30 PM
    Been using the convertible case since I got my playbook on release date. Only issue I have is the power button the volume works fine. Love being able to prop the playbook up to watch videos def useful for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-11 12:47 AM
    04-27-11 01:42 AM
    I'm looking at the Dodo case too, but I am concerned about the headphone jack. Some pics on their site show the jack covered and others show it opened. But what concerns me is the bamboo frame around the PB looks pretty thick so I think a headphone jack might be a pretty tight squeeze depending on the headphones you have. A straight jack looks like it would be ok, but mine are angled so I don't know if it would fit properly.
    04-27-11 02:01 AM

Was from this ebay dude.

I guess white sold out, I don't see it listed anymore and I bought it for around 15 USD (now its 22 lol)

Mines cheap :P I'd admit haha but if ur looking for even better stuff.

--- Real Leather O.O ---

Vaja - Leather Products (real leather, steep price at $180)
    BlackBerry PlayBook cases PIEL FRAMA (120 pounds lolz)
    DODOcase | DODOcase (dodo, book binding. looks nice but doesn't feel there's protection)

Of course, all the RIM, Otter Case are still there
    Last edited by Maiev; 04-27-11 at 03:41 AM.
    04-27-11 02:06 AM
    04-27-11 03:03 AM
    Looks good, a little bulky perhaps. Interesting though.
    04-27-11 03:17 AM
    I got the convertible case at Staples:

Pros - perfect fit, holds tight, and doesn't cover any bezel
    Cons - a bit heavy

It may be going back.
    04-27-11 05:08 AM
    i have a similar question. I think I'm going to go for a sleeve type case. Can anyone explain the diff between:

BlackBerry-Playbook-Skin-Black-Opaque
    and
    BlackBerry-PlayBook-Soft-Shell-Black
    What's the diff between a skin and a shell? Which one is better?

Will the slip cases fit with either of those or am i stuck with the neoprene zip case?

Also what's better, the crystal or anti-glare screen? oO
    04-27-11 03:11 PM
    The shell is like a matte finished rubber type material. The material is not flimsy like those cheap silicone skins cases that pick up dust, but it's somewhat bendable, kinda like those TPU cases. Picked one up yesterday, loving it so far. And it fits inside the neoprene sleeve.

The skin I believe is pretty much like those silicone skins the sell for phones. It'd probably be a little harder to jam into the neoprene sleeve just because the material has a little more grip to it

Crystal vs anti-glare is a matter of preference. Crystal doesn't detract from the look of the screen at all, but tends to be a little more reflective in light. Anti-glare dulls the screen somewhat, but like the name says, it's anti-glare and it also doesn't show finger prints.
    04-27-11 07:51 PM
    i just bought this portfolio style case at Costco. It is called Marquis and made by Trexa. it has a cutout for the connectors for charging, HDMI, and the three pin secondary charge port. it was about $48.

Marquis Black | TREXTA -

Robert
    Newfangled Gizmo likes this.
    04-27-11 08:13 PM
    I use the journal and when I am at work I just use the neoprene.
    04-27-11 11:03 PM
    I use the journal and when I am at work I just use the neoprene.
    I'm waiting to get a Journal case since they seem to be sold out everywhere. How do you find it? Is the PB nice and secure or can it come out if it gets bumped a little?
    04-27-11 11:36 PM
    That Veja case looks fantastic but not so much the price. I'm still on a holding pattern for now waiting to see what comes out as time goes by as well as more reviews.
    04-27-11 11:46 PM
    I got this case a couple days after launch because it was the only available then. I originally had my heart set on the convertible case, but that wasn't available. I'm really content with this case and find it work very well for me. I have an anti-glare screen protector that I got for free from Sears on launch day. I also ordered a cheap tpu silicone style skin from ebay which should be in my mailbox tomorrow. I figure that both would serve their own purpose and thats how I justified buying both lol.

Icon BlackBerry PlayBook Carbon Click Book (ASD322) : Tablet Cases & Skins - Future Shop
    04-27-11 11:54 PM
    This is the case I got, it's called the PlayBook Carbon Click by Icon. Cost me $39.99. As you can see, the ports are not blocked and neither are the top controls, the rear facing camera and the mics. The case is not made of leather but carbon fiber look a like and the top is padded. All corners are also protected in case you drop it. The top cover also snap closes. I've bought it the second day I got my PlayBook and have nothing negative to say about it.

04-27-11 11:58 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD