I emailed IT and described my problem. They told me they offer no support for BlackBerry devices. I will try a few more things when I get there this morning.
    02-09-12 07:53 AM
    Do you have a Blackberry smartphone to try connecting to their WiFi network access point? Are you able to verify which certificate is used by your notebook computer when connecting or connected to the network? On my BlackBerry PlayBook I see a long list of certificate authorities and certificates including Thawe. Also, on the Security screen and under Certificates there should be an import option button; have you tried to import a certificate using this feature?
    Yes, I have done the same with my Bold 9650. It will not connect. Is there some way my phone could help me diagnose the problem?
    02-09-12 07:55 AM
    Additionally, I just downloaded that certificate on the PB. I used files and folders to cut the certificate from downloads, and I was unable to paste it into the certificates folder, error #3001.
    You may have to do this via a PC and usb connection to the PlayBook. There could be security reasons why you are not able to do it on the PlayBook via files and folders. I think I had suggested this when you first posted this question in January.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-09-12 at 08:04 AM.
    02-09-12 08:01 AM
    You may have to do this via a PC and usb connection to the PlayBook. There could be security reasons why you are not able to do it on the PlayBook via files and folders. I think I had suggested this when you first posted this question in January.
    Isn't this the same certificate as the "thawpe premium server CA" that's already pre-loaded?
    02-09-12 08:37 AM
    Isn't this the same certificate as the "thawpe premium server CA" that's already pre-loaded?
    I don't know, but if they have one for you to download, I suggest you use the one the school provides. I think that is the whole point of using that type of security, you need to have the certificate provided by the it department or you don't get connected.
    02-09-12 08:42 AM
    I don't know, but if they have one for you to download, I suggest you use the one the school provides. I think that is the whole point of using that type of security, you need to have the certificate provided by the it department or you don't get connected.
    But it is provided only for the iDevices.
    02-09-12 08:45 AM
    But it is provided only for the iDevices.
    The certificates are probably OS independant.

Are you going to try it?
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-09-12 at 08:58 AM.
    soxypirate likes this.
    02-09-12 08:53 AM
    A cert isn't usually device specific... The installation on a Playbook is different than most devices... You should download the cert on a PC and copy it to the certs directory on the playbook... There is a section in the owners manual telling you what to do from there... I don't remember what the exact steps are but I do know that downloading it with the browser and moving it with Files and Folders is not all there is to it...

If I get time, I will look in the owners manual and see if I can find it. You should also scour the Tips and Tricks thread and the Stickies in this forum as I am pretty sure I read about it there as well.
    soxypirate likes this.
    02-09-12 08:55 AM
    ok i will try that certificate.
    02-09-12 09:35 AM
    i was just contacted by the dean of technology, who informed me that as far as he knows, bbs cannot connect to the school's wireless because bbs do not support ttls-pap, whatever that is. make sense?
    02-09-12 10:43 AM
    at this point, Soxy Pirate, it is time to call the RIM 1-800 # and explain this situation and get them to figure this out. Penn State is a major institution. BB devices should be able to connect to their wifi. If it is true that bb devices do not support "ttls-pap" (whatever that is!), RIM must get on it and fix it.
    02-09-12 11:10 AM
    i was just contacted by the dean of technology, who informed me that as far as he knows, bbs cannot connect to the school's wireless because bbs do not support ttls-pap, whatever that is. make sense?
    If you search this site. I believe there was a thread from another student last spring and he managed to get connected by copying the certificate. For something that takes about a minute to do I don't understand why you don't want to give it a try unless you don't have access to a PC to do it. If you don't have a PC, try to get it done at the technical support of the University using one of their PCs.

Here is a link to the instructions. It looks like you not only have to copy the certificate, but then in the settings of the PlayBook, import the certificate.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...C&kcId=KB26515
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-09-12 at 11:47 AM.
    02-09-12 11:33 AM
    I followed the steps, and when I go to import the certificate, no certificates are shown. I know the file is in the right place, because I'm looking at it on my PC. Perhaps it doesn't recognize it because of the file type? it's a .mobileconfig file.
    02-09-12 12:31 PM
    at this point, Soxy Pirate, it is time to call the RIM 1-800 # and explain this situation and get them to figure this out. Penn State is a major institution. BB devices should be able to connect to their wifi. If it is true that bb devices do not support "ttls-pap" (whatever that is!), RIM must get on it and fix it.
    I would agree, but a quick google search for "blackberry ttls pap" suggests that the dean was right, and that blackberries do not support the pap protocol. I have found stuff from as early as 2008 and as late as 2011, all with the same problem, all with the same answer: No luck.
    02-09-12 12:35 PM
    Perhaps it doesn't recognize it because of the file type? it's a .mobileconfig file.
    Answered my own question.

The BlackBerry PlayBook supports the following certificate extensions:

.pfx
    .pem
    .der
    .cer
    .p12
    02-09-12 12:38 PM
    All that should be done is find a wi-fi spot, open connections, tap on that connection and it should ask for password. Type password and your connected.
    02-09-12 02:45 PM
    That simply will not work. Thanks, though. Apparently there is no way in heaven or on earth for my PlayBook to connect with a TTLS-PAP protocol. RIM doesn't support PAP. Now that I know what to look for, I've been able to confirm this. It's a huge shame, since so many universities use this security protocol.
    02-09-12 03:48 PM
    Bumping for a fix! I attend PSU and we use a similar setup. I would like someway to add PAP inner security.
    03-20-12 08:29 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD