Whenever i press the Camera app, it'll open the window for a split second, and sometimes going fullscreen for a split second too, then it will just close without the closing animation. I can only access it through facebook, meaning i have to keep it open for a long time whenever the occasion for a picture or video comes up.

Hard Reset doesnt work and neither does the repair thing when you try and fix it on your pc. Help Please??
    08-14-12 12:59 AM
    Official OS and if so, which one?

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    08-14-12 08:04 AM
    08-14-12 12:01 PM
    Any other quirks? .668 has created problems for some folks and none for others. If you qualify, you could call support.
    08-14-12 02:19 PM
    I recently had problems with my camera as well, though not quite the same as yours. Mine would open up and the app would open fine, but either it would be a black or green screen. Neither the front or back cameras would work.

I bought my Playbook in April of 2011, so my warranty was expired. I still called tech support and they had me register online for the 90 days of free tech support (since I had never used it). Then they trouble-shooted with me for a little while including a debrick install of the OS and the camera still didn't work.

The scenario ended with an RMA to RIM's playbook repair facility. RIM sent me an overnight package to send my Playbook and I had a repaired playbook back in about 4 business days.

Definitely give them a call as you may have a faulty camera now. They will likely repair as if your warranty was still in force with no cost to you.
    08-14-12 02:33 PM
    Is it free?
    08-14-12 02:40 PM
    As I wrote above, there's a ONE YEAR warranty - oh, where are you located?

BACK UP any unique files, photos, videos manually. Also try doing a Desktop Manager backup and then....

But you might also try doing a Security Wipe - Gear/options, Security, Security wipe. It will erase all data. If that does not fix it....

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-14-12 04:09 PM
    I'm with F2 on this. Given the symptoms (camera works as a Flash component, but not as a stand-alone package) its probably an OS corruption. I'd backup the PlayBook. Wipe the playbook. Check if it is fixed. Reload your Backup. Check that it isn't still broken.

You could upgrade to the beta but its hit or miss and would only help you if it reinstalled the camera app.
    08-14-12 04:59 PM
    I'm with KermEd on this one. Your problem sounds software related, not hardware. A security wipe should fix things. Just remember to MANUALLY back up all media before doing so,
    08-14-12 06:11 PM
    I'll try it. Thanks for the help, i'll keep you guys updated with whatever is happening. Its just a pain in the but to open facebook just to use the camera. If you guys can, find someone who had this problem and was able to fix it yeah?
    08-14-12 11:19 PM