Has anyone else seen this?

Last time I opened the Camera app (when I first received my Playbook) - the rear/front cams were functional to take pics and vids..

I go to open my Camera app again tonight and I'm greeted with a black screen no matter what I try to do (but, I can see menu items and buttons) and that error message upon trying to take a pic/vid..

what gives?..
    04-30-12 10:58 PM
    I used to get this error but after rebooting a few times, I haven't seen it again. Try a hard reset.
    04-30-12 11:01 PM
    I used to get this error but after rebooting a few times, I haven't seen it again. Try a hard reset.
    just got my playbook - excuse the noobness..

hold vol+/vol-/power for ten seconds?
    04-30-12 11:08 PM
    Three ways to reboot or restart. You can try them in order if one does not work, move to the next

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    04-30-12 11:58 PM
    Three ways to reboot or restart. You can try them in order if one does not work, move to the next

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Thanks!

I shut it down overnight and turned it back on this morning - everything worked again.
    05-01-12 10:29 PM
    Glad it is working again.
    05-02-12 12:00 AM
    HOLA , A TODOS ,

me aparece error.4003 en la tablet blackberry ,,, NOSE QUE HACER,,, ! AY�DEME PORFAVOR!
    12-22-12 09:30 AM
    HOLA , A TODOS ,

me aparece error.4003 en la tablet blackberry ,,, NOSE QUE HACER,,, ! AY�DEME PORFAVOR!
    Using google translate:

En general, un usuario no puede arreglarlo, pero debe ponerse en contacto borde

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    12-22-12 10:50 AM
    Hello I went to use my camera but the screen is black can't use video. I can't see anything can anyone help me fix this please.

Thank You
    12-29-12 08:28 AM
    Hello I went to use my camera but the screen is black can't use video. I can't see anything can anyone help me fix this please.

Thank You
    Is this the first time you tried? Nothing covering the rear camera lens? It's the small circle area on the rear top center? Tap the screen and do icons show up? At the bottom right is an icon to change to the camera facing you (on the same side as the screen). Does that one work?

Try the restart methods listed below or call the support numbers posted in the reply just above yours

To REBOOT:
    12-29-12 10:01 AM
    I had done every trick I could find online, but in the end RIM RMA saved the day. Quick and fast replacement.....I didn't even have a warranty on a playbook I bought day one release.
    12-29-12 11:14 AM
    I had done every trick I could find online, but in the end RIM RMA saved the day. Quick and fast replacement.....I didn't even have a warranty on a playbook I bought day one release.
    If you don't mind my asking - how long did you have it? Or how long past the one year did they help you out (not that they might do it for everyone!)?
    12-29-12 11:43 AM
    hi for those of us that dont have warranty or who are in locations where we can have this problem looked at (assuming you have tried all software solution like I did), here is the solution. I will assume you know how to open the playbook and take it apart, or know someone who can do it for you.

What you need to buy is a new camera, I got mine from a guy on ebay. Shipping took 20days (just 20 normal days, not working days).
    New Digital Camera For Blackberry Playbook Side Board with Flex Cable Buttons

I can confirm that it fixed my error 4003 problem. So am sure it will fix this problem provided is a hardware issue.
    06-11-13 02:02 PM
    can you suggest me the way how to fix error.4003 picture playbook............. can you give your contact email or faebook to contact you please or can anyone suggest me the BLACKBERRY playbook service centre in india?
    08-04-13 02:42 PM
    I don't see a number for India but there's one for Worldwide support! Good luck. As noted, there is NO real email for them.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les T�l�phones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    08-04-13 03:28 PM
    i'm having the same problem with my BB Playbook which turned 1 yr old alst oct 2013.any help?system upgrade is useless.
    01-20-14 07:08 AM
    Just went on March break and took my Playbook instead of my camera, needless to say I was royally P@#%%^^ when I found the camera did not work, tried everything suggested on all the forums with no luck. Just 2 months out of warranty but RIM wouldn't help.
    Anyway I download "Night Camera" and the front camera works fine with that as does Video chat so we know it's not hardware but something to do with Camera, also I blamed the last update but have discovered that many users experienced the problem way back in 2011.
    03-19-14 07:48 PM
    Ok, bravely disassembled my Playbook and applied a little pressure to the connector for the camera, voila got both cameras working , rebooted a few times while the casing was still off, cameras still worked..yes�.reassembled the playbook and �.lost both cameras?
    What I believe has happened is that the top button strip sits on the camera module and continual pushing of the volume and power buttons actually cause the ribbon cables, the camera module and connectors to move slightly which over time eventually causes a fault or short in one or more of the contacts.

BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit
    Camera - "error.4003 picture"-t5a3ybfgif6eslvy.medium.jpg
    Camera - "error.4003 picture"-xzxgqjefttflzrdn.medium.jpg
    Hopefully I can source a full camera module from Blackberry service which I�m sad to say have not been very helpful up to this point.
    This is obviously a design flaw, which was unforeseen until the Playbooks were in the field and should be a free warranty extension, I myself was expecting to get at least 3-5 years use out of the tablet and the camera function is very important to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Camera - "error.4003 picture"-blackberry_playbook_camera_module_back.jpg  
    Last edited by rob80PB; 03-21-14 at 01:19 PM.
    Cynycl and El Bori like this.
    03-21-14 01:02 PM
    Ok, bravely disassembled my Playbook and applied a little pressure to the connector for the camera, voila got both cameras working , rebooted a few times while the casing was still off, cameras still worked..yes�.reassembled the playbook and �.lost both cameras?
    What I believe has happened is that the top button strip sits on the camera module and continual pushing of the volume and power buttons actually cause the ribbon cables, the camera module and connectors to move slightly which over time eventually causes a fault or short in one or more of the contacts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t5a3YbfGIf6eslVy.medium.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	257163

Name:	xZXGQJEfTtFLZRdn.medium.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	257165
    Hopefully I can source a full camera module from Blackberry service which I�m sad to say have not been very helpful up to this point.
    This is obviously a design flaw, which was unforeseen until the Playbooks were in the field and should be a free warranty extension, I myself was expecting to get at least 3-5 years use out of the tablet and the camera function is very important to me.
    you should be able to get parts on ebay but it's likely just as cheap to buy a replacement unit.

Good luck.
    madman0141 likes this.
    03-21-14 01:22 PM
    Ok, bravely disassembled my Playbook and applied a little pressure to the connector for the camera, voila got both cameras working , rebooted a few times while the casing was still off, cameras still worked..yes….reassembled the playbook and ….lost both cameras?

Name:	t5a3YbfGIf6eslVy.medium.jpg 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	257163

Name:	xZXGQJEfTtFLZRdn.medium.jpg 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	257165
    Hopefully I can source a full camera module from Blackberry service which I’m sad to say have not been very helpful up to this point.
    Interesting, so the camera error happens to people who hard reset compulsively like me, watch out hard resetters.
    04-21-14 01:44 AM
    Update: yeah! I managed to fix my front camera but not sure what did it, I turned off my playbook and applied pressure where the front camera lens is located, shook my playbook a little and started trying to pull out the power and volume buttons a little, this morning I turned on my playbook and the front camera was working again!! hope it lasts, a curious thing is that while using the front camera if I apply pressure with my finger to where the front camera lens is located the image frozes for a few seconds.
    04-21-14 09:34 AM
    front camra error.4003 picture how to remove this errror
    04-22-14 08:44 AM
    plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz remove this error
    04-22-14 08:45 AM
    So Blackman.... a thousand kudos to you! My daughter's front and back cameras are back after I did basically what you suggested. My gut feeling is that banging and dropping the Playbook over time is the genesis of the problem. Some serious pressure on the camera lens area and some gentle tugging & prying on the power and volume keys while the unit was off has restored the camera - for now. We'll see how long this works.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    04-22-14 05:02 PM
    So Blackman.... a thousand kudos to you! My daughter's front and back cameras are back after I did basically what you suggested. My gut feeling is that banging and dropping the Playbook over time is the genesis of the problem. Some serious pressure on the camera lens area and some gentle tugging & prying on the power and volume keys while the unit was off has restored the camera - for now. We'll see how long this works.
    Please inform me how long it lasts for you.
    04-23-14 01:53 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD