Maybe a bit of hyperbole. Considering the promise by Thor to bring BB10 to playbook and his broken promise on OS update, there's more truth in it than the entire company stringing the playbook users along in the last 8 months. Go on, go download the browser before you sell it on ebay, craiglist or kajiji. Give it one last try. Save the playbook! Save the world!
    07-29-13 10:58 AM
    Honestly the only thing making me not use my PB anymore is the Bridge functionality. I used to love coming home and leaving my phone on the charger while I use the PB for everything.

But my z10 does everything I need so it's not that big a deal. My PB is collecting dust for me.
    CommanderElvis and jkomo001 like this.
    07-29-13 11:01 AM
    Honestly the only thing making me not use my PB anymore is the Bridge functionality. I used to love coming home and leaving my phone on the charger while I use the PB for everything.

But my z10 does everything I need so it's not that big a deal. My PB is collecting dust for me.
    Unless my eye sight improve overtime, not gonna read or browse on my Z10.
    bob_tn, FF22, cmdr_dan and 7 others like this.
    07-29-13 11:11 AM

I agree with you on almost everything. However my PlayBook doesn't gather dust. I do use it at work during sales presentations and I use it to play a game or two, but that's about it.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-29-13 11:15 AM
    Don't know if I would say that Origami Browser will SAVE the Playbook, but it is a world of a better browser than the stock one, and it's free. I got introduced to it a few weeks ago (beta versions on the forums) and was happy to see a final version hit BBWorld (auto updates now). Great browser and great features. Just wish I could get the same/similar performance as the Z10 browser. Not the developer's fault...seems to be a hardware/os issue, but I can always hope, right? Only wish there would be a way to make Origami my default browser, but again a limitation of the OS and not the developer.

FYI, there already is a long discussion on the browser here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...le-now-830403/
    Original discussion on the browser here: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...elease-809048/
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    07-29-13 11:18 AM
    Just glad that people are discovering the excellence that is Origami.
    crazyhairboy and sad_old_man like this.
    07-29-13 11:31 AM
    It is so true! Origami browser is excellent on playbook and my son says is like Google Chrome. Fast and desktop experience. Thanks for the tip. I love my playbook.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-30-13 12:09 PM
    Some observations on the Origami browser (which is on my two Playbooks and whose use has elicited a contribution from me to the developer).

This list is by no means definitive.

Pros:

1. Handles a livevideostreaming site for which I pay much better than the stock browser or some of the other browsers for which I paid.

2. Much more flexible than the stock browser, with many more options.

3. Some of the gesture tools (such as "scroll to top" and "scroll to bottom") are excellent.

Cons:

1. When more than five tabs are open, doesn't appear to function as well as the stock browser. I have, on multiple occasions, had more than fifty tabs open in the stock browser, closed it (with the stock browser set to save these tabs), then reopened the stock browser and the stock browser is quickly ready to go on all tabs. I can have five tabs open on the Origami, close it (with the Origami set to save these tabs), and when I reopen the Origami, all of the tabs must reload, which can take 45 seconds or more.

2. Turning the "booster" feature on and off has been a much flakier process than enabling and disabling flash and/or javascript in the stock browser.

Just my observations, which may not be representative of most other Origami users.

In any case, IMSHEO, the Origami browser is a very useful tool and I don't regret having contributed to the developer.
    07-30-13 02:29 PM
    I agree it's the best browser for the PlayBooks. Playing movies from the HBO Go Site was easy, fast clear.I wish it could play movies in Hulu.
    07-30-13 02:45 PM
    Origami has a very nice interface. Exactly like my favorite browser Chrome. It uses the same browser engine as the native browser though which horrifically slow if you don't disable flash and javascript. Once I disable flash and javascript even on the native, I can have a decent browsing experience if I avoid any sites that need javascript...
    07-30-13 03:18 PM
    It got updated!!!!
    08-15-13 04:02 PM
    Yes any update related to playbook is always good news.
    sad_old_man and jkomo001 like this.
    08-15-13 04:15 PM
    Why is it asking for my Blackberry password to update to the new version?
    08-17-13 10:04 AM
    Maybe a bit of hyperbole. Considering the promise by Thor to bring BB10 to playbook and his broken promise on OS update, there's more truth in it than the entire company stringing the playbook users along in the last 8 months. Go on, go download the browser before you sell it on ebay, craiglist or kajiji. Give it one last try. Save the playbook! Save the world!
    Ear ear cat. I like you!
    08-17-13 10:11 AM
    Stop stalking me!!

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 10:24 AM
    Stop stalking me!!

Posted via CB10
    Of course I will straight away certainly.

ps what do you mean?
    08-17-13 10:27 AM
    Why is it asking for my Blackberry password to update to the new version?
    Refresh your apps list in BlackBerry World and try it again.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 10:47 AM
    Boys, girls, hairdressers, crossdressers and all creatures who frequent these forums. Please find the goodness in your hearts to forgive the cat for he knows not what he does. He's been up since very early this morning talking to me so you must all now have sympathy for him.

I forgive him and like him so please members remain calm for his sake!
    08-17-13 10:58 AM
    Some observations on the Origami browser (which is on my two Playbooks and whose use has elicited a contribution from me to the developer).

This list is by no means definitive.

Pros:

Cons:

1. When more than five tabs are open, doesn't appear to function as well as the stock browser. I have, on multiple occasions, had more than fifty tabs open in the stock browser, closed it (with the stock browser set to save these tabs), then reopened the stock browser and the stock browser is quickly ready to go on all tabs. I can have five tabs open on the Origami, close it (with the Origami set to save these tabs), and when I reopen the Origami, all of the tabs must reload, which can take 45 seconds or more.

2. Turning the "booster" feature on and off has been a much flakier process than enabling and disabling flash and/or javascript in the stock browser.

Just my observations, which may not be representative of most other Origami users.

In any case, IMSHEO, the Origami browser is a very useful tool and I don't regret having contributed to the developer.
    1. You have how many tabs open??? Origami is designed to give a desktop experience, and that would kill my desktop!
    2. Never had any problem with booster. It is designed to restart the page on setting booster, unlike the stock browser when you never really know if you need to restart the browser for change to take effect.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-17-13 11:10 AM
    I have been using Origami for a couple of weeks. I have found that some sites just did not load at all. I tried several times with no success, then switched to the native browser and it opened the sites just fine. No idea why. The sites were nothing important, just links withing another web page. But as a result, I am not giving up on the PB browser. The checkerboarding is no big deal to me, and it alerts me that there is a delay in loading. Better than no indication.
    08-18-13 09:06 PM
    I love the browser and it works well for me. I do have to keep tabs open limited since each new tab seems to eat a lot of memory (how much depends on the web page content but it can eat up to 25 or 30 MB per tab). If I have too many open, other apps kick out and Origami doesn't perform as well.
    08-18-13 10:17 PM
    I've also noticed that Origami fails to render some sites and stalls without warning. Checkboarding still rears its ugly head now and then but on the whole it's a nice improvement over the stock browser but certainly not a quantum leap over it.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-19-13 08:48 AM
    I've also noticed that Origami fails to render some sites and stalls without warning. Checkboarding still rears its ugly head now and then but on the whole it's a nice improvement over the stock browser but certainly not a quantum leap over it.
    The dev is still trying to improve on the browser. Please offer your feedback to PCShaun here.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...elease-809048/
    08-19-13 10:31 AM
    Wow, you are pretty hard to please.
    Yes, Origami has crashed on a few occasions, and yes there are a few sites that it cannot render (though I have found that playing around with the user-agent selection I can usually get things to work) as far as the dreaded checkboards go, I think with some complex sites, you are always going to get a bit of checkerboarding occasionally. That is probably more a limitation of the processing power of the Playbook than the capabilities of the browser. But the Scroll pad, the gestures, the bookmarks, the user-agent selection. not to mention the overall look and feel makes (IMO) Origami is a massive improvement over the stock browser.
    (and I have no affiliation with the developer)

I have to say, I really like the gestures. If (usually because I've linked from another app, and there is no way of selection the default) I ever finish up running the stock browser, I often find my self fruitlessly swiping the screen, trying to use the gestures to open or close a new tab etc.
    08-19-13 12:15 PM
    Wow, you are pretty hard to please.
    Yes, Origami has crashed on a few occasions, and yes there are a few sites that it cannot render (though I have found that playing around with the user-agent selection I can usually get things to work) as far as the dreaded checkboards go, I think with some complex sites, you are always going to get a bit of checkerboarding occasionally. That is probably more a limitation of the processing power of the Playbook than the capabilities of the browser. But the Scroll pad, the gestures, the bookmarks, the user-agent selection. not to mention the overall look and feel makes (IMO) Origami is a massive improvement over the stock browser.
    (and I have no affiliation with the developer)

I have to say, I really like the gestures. If (usually because I've linked from another app, and there is no way of selection the default) I ever finish up running the stock browser, I often find my self fruitlessly swiping the screen, trying to use the gestures to open or close a new tab etc.
    Now what else would I expect from a cat?
    08-19-13 02:54 PM
65 123