Much like many similar posts about proclaiming my frustration with Blackberry here I am. I have a now two year old Playbook with a declining battery. There really is no where to get it changed and I do not have the time to do it myself. I bought another one for wife because I liked it so much and yet now I regret it. I am debating on buying a keyboard for it because I purchased this for work and I write. I needed something portable and I also run two other businesses which this helped me with. In addition the bridge feature is a big plus but what is the state of Playbook now? No mention at live of any updates and mostly negative statements on tablets in general. Why should I continue to pour money into this dead category at Blackberry. The question is what do I get. I hate Samsung but the Note looks interesting. Not an iFan but I am a closet MS fan. The Surface is not bad but seems half baked right now and possibly too big for what I need to do. I do not like MS phones anymore.

I really want a Q10 but having the interoperability is a big plus and that ,mean a BB phone and a ***** tablet. Not an elegant solution but it also means I am being pushed out gradually of the BB family. I think it is a huge mistake to drop the tablet line. It is indeed sad to watch this orphan wonder why its parents abandoned it. I know tech works this way but I expected more from BB and I expected better options than "sorry we can not make any money in tablets".
    FF22 and dannykavs like this.
    06-02-13 09:20 AM
    I briefly flirted with the HP Envy - a Surface Pro, convertible "tablet" It comes with a detachable keyboard and runs Full Win8 (which I'm not sure I like). What dissuaded me at the moment were two things, it is 10 or 11 inches so larger than the PB. But the keyboard must be attached to work. I had really expected it to work like a Bluetooth (bt) keyboard that could work if you set the screen/tablet up on an easel on a table and could use the keyboard remotely. I also see that MS' Surface pro's accessory keyboard (separate purchase), also needs to be ATTACHED to work and does not work by BT. While I'm pretty sure that a BT keyboard might work with both models, that would be another purchase and is not "mated" with the tablet/screen.

Good luck with your search. You can probably buy the batteries yourself and have a laptop repair facility put them in for you, at some cost, if you think that your pb is work it. Why do you think it is the batteries - very few pb's have had really bad batteries as something in the charging might be what is wrong.
    06-02-13 09:47 AM
    Much like many similar posts about proclaiming my frustration with Blackberry here I am. I have a now two year old Playbook with a declining battery. There really is no where to get it changed and I do not have the time to do it myself. I bought another one for wife because I liked it so much and yet now I regret it. I am debating on buying a keyboard for it because I purchased this for work and I write. I needed something portable and I also run two other businesses which this helped me with. In addition the bridge feature is a big plus but what is the state of Playbook now? No mention at live of any updates and mostly negative statements on tablets in general. Why should I continue to pour money into this dead category at Blackberry. The question is what do I get. I hate Samsung but the Note looks interesting. Not an iFan but I am a closet MS fan. The Surface is not bad but seems half baked right now and possibly too big for what I need to do. I do not like MS phones anymore.

I really want a Q10 but having the interoperability is a big plus and that ,mean a BB phone and a ***** tablet. Not an elegant solution but it also means I am being pushed out gradually of the BB family. I think it is a huge mistake to drop the tablet line. It is indeed sad to watch this orphan wonder why its parents abandoned it. I know tech works this way but I expected more from BB and I expected better options than "sorry we can not make any money in tablets".
    I've had a surface pro ever since it came out and I love it! I use it to install leaks back up and sync my Z10. I'd highly recommend both devices to anyone, you can do anything a normal laptop can do and more!

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 11:23 AM
    You might be happy with a Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. It has a dock and amazing battery and works as a pure tablet as well. However it's 11 inch...

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 01:13 PM
    You might be happy with a Lenovo Thinkpad Helix. It has a dock and amazing battery and works as a pure tablet as well. However it's 11 inch...

Posted via CB10
    Does the keyboard work as a bluetooth keyboard or does it have to be physically attached to the tablet/screen? Oh, but very pricy!
    06-02-13 02:22 PM
    Does the keyboard work as a bluetooth keyboard or does it have to be physically attached to the tablet/screen? Oh, but very pricy!
    Interesting but it would seem that if you were going to use it as a tablet computer it would be more efficient and possibly even a little quicker with the keyboard attached. The screen is so small looks like you ordinarily would be close to it. Suppose you could have a separate bluetooth keyboard in case you were using HDMI to the TV in your hotel room.

With Intel and AMD coming out with newer and much improved , according to their claims, chips for tablets it would seem that current Surface Pro and HP Envy type tablets will be obsolete soon. The Atom processor in the Envy which only has 2GB RAM is weak compared to the i5 in the Surface Pro which has 4 GB RAM. But the Surface Pro seems to run quite hot and has to have cooling fans like a regular laptop. So much improvement will be welcomed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-02-13 03:23 PM
    jpash:

Well, "new and improved" will always be the problem (well, other than Playbook where there will not be NEW nor improved). Next week and next month there will be better, faster, different processors and screens and hopefully batteries. So the waiting game will get you more but then you probably would want to wait even a bit more!

I would guess that most of these convertible tablets can be used with SEPARATELY purchased bluetooth keyboards (and mice). But the point is that they all either come with one (hp envy or lenovo) or as in MS' case, an accessory so why not have them serve the dual purpose of both a connected keyboard and if detached, also a bluetooth keyboard. I realize some of these were intended to provide a "booster" battery pack. But still, why not enable a bt when detached? Maybe that will be next years model!
    06-02-13 04:52 PM
    I don't really get why a BT keyboard would be necessary...when you have a remote control installed on the Z10 is perfect for presentations and whenever you want to type on it you will simply dock it than worrying how you put it up....

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 06:36 PM
    I
    I don't really get why a BT keyboard would be necessary...when you have a remote control installed on the Z10 is perfect for presentations and whenever you want to type on it you will simply dock it than worrying how you put it up....

Posted via CB10
    I appreciate everyones suggestions. Yes the Surface Pro is one I looked at and the Envy is possible but I agree the processor is not up to the task.

As far as a BT keyboard it is much easier to write several thousand word s a day on it as opposed to a phone. If Bb comes up with a nice phone dock setup, which I heard they would at Live, I would consider a Z/Q10 but so far they have not.
    06-02-13 09:50 PM
    I

I appreciate everyones suggestions. Yes the Surface Pro is one I looked at and the Envy is possible but I agree the processor is not up to the task.

As far as a BT keyboard it is much easier to write several thousand word s a day on it as opposed to a phone. If Bb comes up with a nice phone dock setup, which I heard they would at Live, I would consider a Z/Q10 but so far they have not.
    Would think that writing several thousand words a day you would want a better keyboard than the Surface Pro anyway. And several thousand words a day on a phone!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-02-13 11:30 PM