View Poll Results: Did your power button fail, if so how long from first use?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Failed in 1 day

4 2.05%
  • Failed in 2 days

0 0%
  • Failed in 3 days

0 0%
  • Failed in 4+ days

1 0.51%
  • Did not fail... yet?

190 97.44%
    I started a thread a little ago but the poll i set up was a bit flawed in the fact thatit did not test the theory that a failing power button is a manufacturing defect or something that will happen to everyone given time. So now a new pole asking those whose button has failed to tell us how long it lasted! I will create another of these polls in a month to get a second set of data. LET THE RESEARCH BEGIN!
    Gaurav6785 likes this.
    04-25-11 10:53 PM
    I've used my power button once; the day I bought it and turned it on. I haven't had the need to use it since.
    04-25-11 10:57 PM
    I've used my power button once; the day I bought it and turned it on. I haven't had the need to use it since.
    Could not agree more hehehe

Hrmmm perhaps its just a matter of time but i changed my poll so I could see who votes for what and suddenly the playbook is defect free? There was no one trolling before now was there? o.O
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 04-25-11 at 11:03 PM.
    04-25-11 11:00 PM
    you could always just use the power button icon in the all folder does the exact same thing
    04-25-11 11:32 PM
    you could always just use the power button icon in the all folder does the exact same thing
    We still have no software way to lock the device.
    04-25-11 11:43 PM
    We still have no software way to lock the device.
    change your options to stand-by to 90 seconds thats really not that long.
    04-25-11 11:48 PM
    Im not sure what u mean by fail. my power button isnt rasied , bur it works every tome i press it.
    04-25-11 11:49 PM
    Im not sure what u mean by fail. my power button isnt rasied , bur it works every tome i press it.

Have you broken your power button yet? Is what they mean. Has your Power button stopped functioning.

Cheers,
    04-25-11 11:50 PM
    I started a thread a little ago but the poll i set up was a bit flawed in the fact thatit did not test the theory that a failing power button is a manufacturing defect or something that will happen to everyone given time. So now a new pole asking those whose button has failed to tell us how long it lasted! I will create another of these polls in a month to get a second set of data. LET THE RESEARCH BEGIN!
    >Thanks for starting this thread. And now if you have any suggestion-my playbook finally got off from the 0% battery screen after i left it connected to power source for the whole night. Not it says playbook wont activate error 3000. It says check setting. Playbook is connected to wi-fi. I didn't buy the one wit sim card to choosing a carrier can't be the issue, right?
    04-25-11 11:53 PM
    this power button business is way over blown.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    04-25-11 11:55 PM
    >Thanks for starting this thread. And now if you have any suggestion-my playbook finally got off from the 0% battery screen after i left it connected to power source for the whole night. Not it says playbook wont activate error 3000. It says check setting. Playbook is connected to wi-fi. I didn't buy the one wit sim card to choosing a carrier can't be the issue, right?
    Haha I would normally say don't thread jack but this helps it stay on top so heres something I know of your problem.

That error means there was either a timeout when connecting to the server or you are unable to connect to the update server. It may be caused by a bad wifi connection? Perhaps your router is incompatible. Try public wifi in a few places if you can or a friends wifi. It SHOULD work. If not then return it for a new one since it might be hardware failure.
    04-26-11 12:00 AM
    lol just nitpicking here but why do you need to add "yet" to the option for the working power button?
    04-26-11 01:50 AM
    lol just nitpicking here but why do you need to add "yet" to the option for the working power button?

I was wondering the exact same thing
    04-26-11 02:16 AM
    Works fine for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-11 02:35 AM
    its not fail,its just how RIM design and works perfectly.The button quality is good compare to the other competition.We dont really need it actually if you how to swipe
    meganVee likes this.
    04-26-11 02:41 AM
    I dont know its just when i press just the button with a toothpick its really hard but when I press on the frame it works very nicely.
    04-26-11 12:20 PM
    So far 88 ppl say no problems. Only the OP has a problem.
    LOL
    04-26-11 12:28 PM
    LOL
    Correction. 2 have failed now.

I don't see why there is a ...yet? on the last option. I don't expect mine to fail, especially since I don't use it. The icon works perfectly fine, and I rarely even use that. There's not really a need to shutdown, or restart the PlayBook.
    04-26-11 12:39 PM
    Correction. 2 have failed now.

I don't see why there is a ...yet? on the last option. I don't expect mine to fail, especially since I don't use it. The icon works perfectly fine, and I rarely even use that. There's not really a need to shutdown, or restart the PlayBook.
    I'm guessing it has something to do with the word smartass
    04-26-11 12:50 PM
    My power button works fine, but I do have a question about this. I honestly am not sure if I have a raised power button or a flush power button, as they are described. Mine is ever. so. slightly. raised, like you can almost not tell, but it is not quite flush. It is about as raised as the center "play" button. Having nothing to compare it to I am not sure what I have. Anyone want to give me a clue? Is this a "raised" power button?

And to the person who said you can just use the software shut down option instead of using the power button, that is not true. The two options do different things. The physical button puts the PlayBook to sleep so you can wake it with a swipe. The software button actually shuts down the PlayBook completely, shutting off the power, so that you have to use the physical button to turn it back on. So you DO need the physical button at times and I feel bad for those whose button has broken.
    04-26-11 12:52 PM
    And to the person who said you can just use the software shut down option instead of using the power button, that is not true. The two options do different things. The physical button puts the PlayBook to sleep so you can wake it with a swipe. The software button actually shuts down the PlayBook completely, shutting off the power, so that you have to use the physical button to turn it back on. So you DO need the physical button at times and I feel bad for those whose button has broken.
    Not trying to be argumentative but if you saw in a later post i suggested changing your options to go to stand-by in 90 seconds. That is not that long of time to let the playbook go to stand-by for itself. Unless you can't help but pick up it right back up again after seeing the wonderful screen stare back at you then i completely understand.
    04-26-11 01:01 PM
    My power button works fine, but I do have a question about this. I honestly am not sure if I have a raised power button or a flush power button, as they are described. Mine is ever. so. slightly. raised, like you can almost not tell, but it is not quite flush. It is about as raised as the center "play" button. Having nothing to compare it to I am not sure what I have. Anyone want to give me a clue? Is this a "raised" power button?

Mine is working fine as well, the very few times I've used it. I have the backlight timeout set to 90 seconds and stand-by at 2 minutes, so I really don't need the button ... just tried it twice to see if/how it works. I don't know if mine is raised or not, but I sure can't hit it by accident where it is, which is a good thing.

And actually, the button will completely power off the PB if you press and hold it. What would be much more useful, though, as has been mentioned a few times, is to add a Standby option to the on-screen Power Off button, then the only reason you'd ever need the physical button is if the touch screen were to become completely non-responsive.

From BlackBerry tech solutions center:

The BlackBerry PlayBook Power button serves serveral functions.

Stand-by - Click the Power button for less than 2 seconds. The BlackBerry PlayBook Screen will goes off, background services will continue to operate, this includes Bluetooth and WIFI

Shutdown/Restart - Click and hold the Power button for 2 seconds. This will bring up a prompt asking to Turn Off, or Restart

Forced Power Off - Click and hold the Power button for 10 seconds. This will force the BlackBerry PlayBook to power off.
    04-26-11 01:13 PM
    LOL
    I am the op and i do not have a problem with the button just expressing concerns
    04-26-11 01:40 PM
    try a Hard reset, hold down your power button along with volume up/down keys at the same time
    04-26-11 01:50 PM
    I am the op and i do not have a problem with the button just expressing concerns
    seriously! and even if your power button was busted it wouldn't be a reflection on you personally
    04-26-11 01:58 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD