I just received a call from staples canada. They said that my 50 dollar coupon is not applicable and directed me to their website where it now says that promotional coupons cannot be applied. I told her this was BS and that I will call back to cancel my order. Anyone else get a call?
    04-01-11 12:34 PM
    Was your pre-order online or in store?
    04-01-11 12:53 PM
    Online. I used the 50 dollar coupon before the expiration date of March 25. I wish i had more time to argue on the phone. Im at work and that will have to wait until I'm off.
    04-01-11 12:56 PM
    Ok, I'm still hoping they don't cancel mine since I already paid for it in store.
    04-01-11 12:58 PM
    Not impressed with Staples. I just got the cancellation email, and I ordered on the 24th. Here's what they said:

"This retail coupon offer valued at $50.00 is not applicable and cannot
    be used towards the purchase of any Blackberry Playbook , it is intended
    to be used for laptops and tablets."

I think the playbook classifies as a "tablet".
    04-01-11 01:04 PM
    Just got the same email... sad!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 01:11 PM
    Im am calling back after work to speak with a manager. If i dont get to keep this, i will never buy from staples again. BestBuy or FS here i come!
    04-01-11 01:16 PM
    This totally sucks! I thought this was an awesome promotion by Staples to get someone like me - a reasonably loyal Best Buy shopper - to switch over. Now I have to cancel my order.

Blows. Boo on Staples!
    04-01-11 01:18 PM
    I think it is terrible costumer service. The only explanation the woman could give me was to look at the Playbook order page and see that it now says that promotional coupons are not applicable.
    04-01-11 01:22 PM
    I just got my email as well. Will likely cancel the order as that was the only incentive to order from Staples...

Like others, not impressed.
    04-01-11 01:30 PM
    the customer service agent keeps telling me the coupon is only good for laptops - so I forwarded her my e-mail that says it's for laptops AND tablets...
    04-01-11 01:30 PM
    I got the same email.

"This retail coupon offer valued at $50.00 is not applicable and cannot be used towards the purchase of any Blackberry Playbook , it is intended to be used for laptops and tablets."

So..what is a playbook if not a tablet??

I used it 1) before it expired and 2) before there was a notice about not using coupons for the playbook.

It seems like a call to BBB is in order. Offer a coupon, then retract is after the order is placed? That can't be right.
    04-01-11 01:31 PM
    You've got a case for advertising fraud... your coupon says PC's or Tablets... now they say PlayBook excluded. I'd raise threaten to raise a complaint with the Office of Consumer Affairs.
    04-01-11 01:31 PM
    I pre-ordered online on the 25th with the coupon. Got the e-mail today saying coupon is not applicable to PlayBook.
    Will cancel order.
    04-01-11 01:33 PM
    I got the same email.

"This retail coupon offer valued at $50.00 is not applicable and cannot be used towards the purchase of any Blackberry Playbook , it is intended to be used for laptops and tablets."

So..what is a playbook if not a tablet??

I used it 1) before it expired and 2) before there was a notice about not using coupons for the playbook.

It seems like a call to BBB is in order. Offer a coupon, then retract is after the order is placed? That can't be right.
    I agree. This is completely unacceptable. BBB should know!
    04-01-11 01:36 PM
    I don't know if the OP is trying an April fools joke or not, but if he is serious I'm pretty sure a company cannot retroactively reject the application of a discount like this. The original coupon was for laptops and tablets (check) made no mention of the playbook being excluded (check), was applied before the expiry date (check), not mention on the staples playbook pre-order that coupons were not accepted (check). If Staples does retroactively remove your coupon demand to speak to a manager and inform that that doing so is both false advertising and a violation of clause 3 (B) of the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards (linked at the bottom) as well as the Canadian Competition Act. Tell that if your coupon is not honoured you will be contacting the Canadian Competition Bureau, the Canadian Better Business Bureau, the Consumers Association of Canada, and anywhere else you think of. Get the managers name and ID/Employee number and also inform that that because of Staples deceptive business practices you will no longer purchase any product from their company.

Any bets on how quickly they fold then, especially if everyone who has this happen to them on crackberry start posts in this thread ? :P

Canadian Competition Bureau:

Competition Bureau - Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices: Choice of Criminal or Civil Track under the Competition Act

Canadian Code of Advertising Standards:
    The 14 Clauses of the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards

Edit: I just got the e-mail as well.
    Last edited by wayoung; 04-01-11 at 01:42 PM.
    04-01-11 01:39 PM
    It was not an April Fools Joke. I truely wish it was.
    04-01-11 01:43 PM
    Here's a new one:
    1) They says it's not a tablet
    2) I need a HARD COPY of the coupon to get the refund...

Ridiculous...
    04-01-11 01:44 PM
    Got the same thing. I'm CANCELING
    04-01-11 01:48 PM
    Well, I just talked to Staples and cancelled my order... BUT, I had made an order previously using a $30 and $15 coupon which I cancelled when I made the order using the $50 coupon plus a $15 one I had (as $65 off was better than $45 off).

So, I had them reactivate my old order with $45 off and got a new confirmation.

Not as good as $65 off, but better than nothing. Downside is that he kept saying the new order had to go to the manufacturer to be filled so no idea on when it would be shipped.

Will likely still go to BestBuy on launch day and pick one up...
    04-01-11 01:49 PM
    Of course it's a tablet. It's even described as one on the staples.ca website:

"Built for small business. The BlackBerry Playbook has full computing power in an ultra-thin, ultra-mobile tablet format."

also:

Specifications

Operating System BlackBerry Tablet OS (QNX)
    04-01-11 01:49 PM
    They cannot say that a product officially labeled as a tablet is not a tablet. How is that Staples jurisdiction.

I plan on calling back to complain shortly. I will let you know how it goes.
    04-01-11 01:50 PM
    For those who are being told staples is claiming it is not a tablet....
    04-01-11 01:51 PM
    I just got the email that they won't honor the coupon :-( I ordered on the 25th the 32 Gig...... I am very disappointed and will take the weekend to reconsider - the ipad is becoming more and more appealing....

For sure I will cancel with Staples and buy from another retailer just so they don't get my money.

AR
    Last edited by loonix; 04-01-11 at 01:58 PM.
    04-01-11 01:52 PM
    My actual order on the staples website still shows the coupon being applied.
    04-01-11 01:52 PM
150 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD