My brother wants to buy a 32G Playbook at the current low prices but wants to be able to use it's Wi-Fi to call landlines when he's on holiday. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
    Cheers
    10-09-12 08:26 PM
    Subscribing to ConWave ePhone should get him that.

Look into it.
    10-09-12 08:33 PM
    Also look into Kuzaranda and Taki.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-09-12 08:52 PM
    Conwave works, only it's actually called Comwave.. But, free calling is only to the US and Canada, and the fact that your brother goes on holiday rather than vacation suggests that you're not from the US or Canada. International calling costs a little.
    10-09-12 09:15 PM
    We're from Canada actually and I subscribed to the free Comwave ephone and it's perfect and my brother is sold on the playbook. It is better than Skype because there's no charge for calling a landline, something they call Skype Out and charge for. As for "holiday" versus "vacation," blame my Scottish mother!
    10-09-12 10:58 PM
    Conwave works, only it's actually called Comwave.. But, free calling is only to the US and Canada, and the fact that your brother goes on holiday rather than vacation suggests that you're not from the US or Canada. International calling costs a little.
    as far as i know we say both vacation and holiday here in canada.
    10-09-12 10:59 PM
    Sherlock Holmes, I presume!

I celebrate Holidays and go on vacation. Hmmm, do retirees go on vacation?
    10-09-12 11:15 PM
    hello i downloaded comwave since this post. it makes calls and accepts calls. the SPEAKER portion works on the playbook. The microphone does not work. i went to menu, then settings and QNX microphone is selected. The little microphone symbol at the top is adjusted to 100%. why is the mic not working??
    10-09-12 11:20 PM

I heard retirees think death is the vacation of a lifetime. Sorry I could not resist.
    FF22 and amrovi2014 like this.
    10-10-12 12:06 AM
    I got comwave on my playbook. $30 down the drain! Bad connection and terrible audio. Often get disconnected, sometimes not even 5 minutes of conversation. Especially overseas call. Service is inconsistent at best. Don't even try to contact the company. You'll be lucky if they reply your email.
    jsdhornby and BlazorBoy like this.
    10-10-12 12:11 AM
    Signup to Vencall.net
    The PC version on their website works well on the PB
    10-10-12 12:16 AM
    app uninstalled. I dont have time for this
    10-10-12 12:23 AM
    i love it!!!! works great! A MUST HAVE FOR THOSE WHO USE PLAYBOOK WIFI and no data services on cell phone. i just use my home wifi network for my playbook...and if my husband needs to use my phone he can take it, and with comwave i can cal any land or cell line!!

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...&userauth=true
    SenatorCola likes this.
    10-19-12 12:01 AM
    first set up with ask u for a USER ID ( it will initially be a bunch of numbers/letters), one u go through that process you'll only have to sign in with your USERNAME and PASSWORD every time u open the app. I leave mine open so i dont miss a call.

I like how if u login via desktop computer u can change your settings, like your CALLER ID! hehe
    10-19-12 12:04 AM
    This may be a dumb question but I just downloaded the comwave app and entered my info. They sent me a confirmation email and provided me a temp password. Now when I go to log in with the temp password, their system does not accept it because its only 4 digits. WTF why would they send me a 4 digit password? I've been to their website aswell and cannot log in or even change this stupid password. If anyone could let me know if I'm doing something wrong or did they mess up?
    10-19-12 10:47 AM

No, we go on trips.
    10-19-12 02:24 PM
    This may be a dumb question but I just downloaded the comwave app and entered my info. They sent me a confirmation email and provided me a temp password. Now when I go to log in with the temp password, their system does not accept it because its only 4 digits. WTF why would they send me a 4 digit password? I've been to their website aswell and cannot log in or even change this stupid password. If anyone could let me know if I'm doing something wrong or did they mess up?
    hmm wierd. my temp user id was 6 digits... I'm in usa... (texas).
    10-19-12 05:59 PM
    I have been using Comwave for a year. It is best to use headphones to eliminate an echo. I also had the initial installation problem and called them and had their Tech guys fix my problem immediately. We use it to call friends worldwide and I think it is great but can only be purchased by Canadians with a Canadian address.
    10-19-12 06:49 PM
    yeah.. but I used it the other night...oddly enough it was clear and very little latency...just like speaker phone... I was calling a friend who's on the tmobile network ..mmaybe networks make all the difference..
    10-19-12 07:52 PM
    app uninstalled. I dont have time for this
    Honestly don't know why you had trouble, mine works really well.
    10-20-12 03:19 PM
    I just tested Comwave again for the first time in about a year. Overall, it seems to work better than I remembered. Granted, it's no Skype replacement. But it seems to do what I need it to, and that's calling the U.S. when I'm overseas. Call quality could be better, and I hate the laggy, Flash-based interface. However, it covers the basics for anyone who simply needs to make a quick VOIP call from their Playbook. And it's as least as stable as Skype for Android, which is buggy as .

RCK
    10-20-12 04:52 PM
    I, too, was given a 4 digit temp password. I sent an email to playbook@comwave.net about it and received a prompt response from their tech staff. They explained that the four digit password is for the free trial app and can't be changed. If you upgrade, you get a six digit password (which you can then change for one of your own choosing).
    10-26-12 02:14 AM
    10-26-12 04:38 AM