Hey all...

I have been looking forward to os 2 for a long time, along with a lot of you, however i have been mostly interested in the new calender/contacts integration as i am a hairdresser and want to use it for my bookings, and there are no apps for this at the moment.

However i'm having a fair few problems with it and i was wondering if anyone can help?

first of all, i noticed that to select a contact to add to the appointment, so i can see their history, they must have an email address? i dont really understand why you can't just use their name, and if there is a way to do this, i can't find it anywhere.

Secondly, my calender tells me i need an email account to associate, yet when i connected both my contacts and my calender with a new email address, when i click to select the email account when adding an appointment, the attendees box disppears!

What i have done at the moment is, added an email in for each client, using their name so i can select them when adding an appointment, however i have just looked in the section where the history should be for the clients, and there is none, but there were when i first did it!

So confused!
    02-25-12 06:01 AM
    Oh and i thought i should mention, the email i am trying to use with both is google....dont know if this makes any difference, but if any of you know of an email i would be better to sync with it, let me know...thanks
    02-25-12 06:27 AM
    anyone? lol
    02-25-12 07:05 AM
    I also cut hair and use the PlayBook for appointments. I have all my contacts and appointments on my BB9650 and had my device synch with Gmail. After I set up my Gmail in the PlayBook all contacts and calendar were able to synch. Now if I use the PB or BB 9650 to book appointment they synch together. I use BIS and had to edit my Gmail in there to synch with the device first. I hope this helps.
    02-25-12 07:48 AM
    Hi,

I had the same problem and this steps solved it.

1. If you had already add the email account that you want to associate with the calendar delete it from the list.
    2. When the calendar ask you to add an email, press add email, go to "email,calendar, and contacts"
    3.Go to "anvanced setup"
    4. Go to "IMAP"
    5. Follow this table: Configuring other mail clients - Gmail Help
    6. You should be good to go

Grretings from Puerto Rico
    02-25-12 02:59 PM
    thanks guys...i'll look into them both!
    is there any way around adding contacts to an appointment, without them having an email address, and will it also prevent 'attendees' disappearing?

Thanks again
    02-27-12 12:17 PM
    thanks guys...i'll look into them both!
    is there any way around adding contacts to an appointment, without them having an email address, and will it also prevent 'attendees' disappearing?
    If you do not want to collect email addresses from each client, which could be good for sending a reminder of an upcoming appointment, you could simply create a fake email address of the format, for example, [email protected] and of course there is no need to actually create the email account because it is merely a placeholder. The reason for the email address requirement stems from the potential for multiple persons to have the same name (legal name or common name).
    02-27-12 12:26 PM
    If you do not want to collect email addresses from each client, which could be good for sending a reminder of an upcoming appointment, you could simply create a fake email address of the format, for example, [email protected] and of course there is no need to actually create the email account because it is merely a placeholder. The reason for the email address requirement stems from the potential for multiple persons to have the same name (legal name or common name).
    Yeah I have started doing this lol

Another question to anyone out there, I have managed to sync my bb phone and Gmail, go the contacts from the phone to Gmail, so how do now get the contacts from Gmail to PlayBook?

I think the account has worked now I have set it up using the method above but unsure how to sync contacts!

Ta guys
    02-27-12 04:12 PM
    Actually scrap that last one!

Got the contacts syncing now, but the calender is still not working on the pb!

For some reason, without an email account, I can add a contact to and appointment, but when the email account is selected, not PlayBook local, the attendees box disappears! So confused need to get this sorted so I can sort my booking out
    02-27-12 04:34 PM
    Actually scrap that last one!

Got the contacts syncing now, but the calender is still not working on the pb!

For some reason, without an email account, I can add a contact to and appointment, but when the email account is selected, not PlayBook local, the attendees box disappears! So confused need to get this sorted so I can sort my booking out
    I can feel your pain lol I have been a week trying to sort out the calendar. I also noticed you can add attendees unless you do it via PlayBook local, so I got around that by doing it via bb. I then edited contacts info as you can do that by clicking on the names. But why is all this so complicating!? I wiped my PB and everything synced (I am using Gmail too as my main account) today it is not syncing from my phone. I hope there is some kind of update, or RIM just updates the UI in the bridge, would have been so much easier. Here's hoping!
    02-27-12 05:30 PM
    It's so unnecessarily confusing isn't it!! I just don't understand why

All I wanna be able to do is sync my calender and contacts on pb and phone also adding contacts in appointments.....is this too much to ask?!
    02-27-12 05:52 PM
    It's so unnecessarily confusing isn't it!! I just don't understand why

All I wanna be able to do is sync my calender and contacts on pb and phone also adding contacts in appointments.....is this too much to ask?!
    Short answer yes...long answer no but...right now it takes a bit of a work around. Check out this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...endees-700709/

Good luck!
    02-27-12 06:53 PM
    Short answer yes...long answer no but...right now it takes a bit of a work around. Check out this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...endees-700709/

Good luck!
    Thanks, that has it shortcomings too, doesn't send the email, but adds attendees to gmail, I have just written via Twitter to @asaunders @michaelclewley, apparently it's not supported yet..
    02-28-12 12:29 AM
    Thanks, that has it shortcomings too, doesn't send the email, but adds attendees to gmail, I have just written via Twitter to @asaunders @michaelclewley, apparently it's not supported yet..
    My attendees are syncing to Google, eventually...but they're not syncing to my phone or vise versa to the PlayBook, when I have made the appointment on the other device, if that makes sense? Lol

If there's a more ideal email/calender to use other than Google, where everything actually works, can someone please help me out!?
    02-28-12 02:10 PM
    Add me to the list of people that's lost countless hours trying to fix the calendars.

I'm sure they'll get there, it's only an infant.

When's the next update? :-)

Edit: I ended up using Google Sync to sync my calendars on my BB Phone, "m.Google.com/sync"

It keeps the phone in better sync with the PlayBook.
    Last edited by Rgainsmi; 02-28-12 at 03:10 PM.
    02-28-12 03:05 PM
    Add me to the list of people that's lost countless hours trying to fix the calendars.

I'm sure they'll get there, it's only an infant.

When's the next update? :-)

Edit: I ended up using Google Sync to sync my calendars on my BB Phone, "m.Google.com/sync"

It keeps the phone in better sync with the PlayBook.
    It's a bloody nightmare lol, can't wait til i get it working properly!
    Only problem is, I'd rather just change my email from Gmail to another if there is one that already works properly as I need to keep the history of my clients!
    02-28-12 03:15 PM
    Calendar sync...possible solution

Please understand this may not be exactly what you're looking but:

Here's what I discovered, give it a shot. it's a working workaround, sorry it's not perfect, but you

don't have to deal with millions of duplicates when you attempt to sync your Google Sync with the BB

calendar app.

Do this:
    Sign in to your Google account using BB's web browser. Then access the Calendar feature from a WEB PAGE.

Do NOT use the BB Calendar application that's built into the memory. Google's mobile Calendar page will

show you an agenda and a Quick Add space where you can add new events to your calendar WITHOUT EVER USING

THE BB CALENDAR APP. It will sync to your Google calendar, and the only difference is, you bookmark in

your Web favorites to access your calendar app. With BB's push browser, you'll stay as synced as you

possibly can in real time, AND YOU ONLY HAVE TO INPUT AN APPOINTMENT ONCE FOR IT TO STICK. And best of

all, NO DUPES!

Sorry if I am on the late freight, but hey, it took me a few weeks on my new BB 9360 Curve to get it to

work this way. Hope it helps!

One more thing...make sure you hide the BB calendar so you don't accidentally access it instead of the

web.

Update: I've using this procedure since I first posted on 4/10/12 with NO PROBLEMS...NONE!!!
    castleruins likes this.
    04-15-12 07:07 PM

If there's a more ideal email/calender to use other than Google, where everything actually works, can someone please help me out!?
    Am using chaoshost which works fine BUT after 1 month trial its $100 a year AND you either need astrasync ($50/yr, or already be syncing your phone to an exchange account, or get Companionlink ($40 or $50 one time) to sink your phone to Time and Choas prog (free version available) on the desk top.
    I already had Companionlink and was using their desktop software. For me the 100 bucks was worth it but I'm assuming this will all be fixed before next year.
    04-15-12 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD