Sold my mint-condition 64GB Playbook today for $80. No regrets as I've long since left it behind as my daily driver for my Xperia Z tablet and Nexus 5 phone.

I always liked it for its screen, OS, and sound. And with Origami, it was a good net browser. But lordy lordy, were we let down by BB.

I'll never understand why they never just paid some programmers to build a few dozen critical apps and to optimize the OS for speedier, smoother overall performance, instead of wasting time with adnroid emulators that never really worked. Had they done that, and tossed in some meaningful updates along the way, such as improved file sharing syncing, and an updated Playbook 2, it would still be competitive with the likes of Nexus 7 and other lower-priced devices.

BB really dropped the ball on the Playbook after putting together a very decent piece of hardware for its time.
    09-24-14 11:13 PM
    they did drop the ball yes. Cut their losses.
    I still use mine as a radio / media player.
    09-24-14 11:58 PM
    A sad day...agree with the paying Developers to create key native Apps.
    09-25-14 04:41 AM
    I still use my playbook and I can't see myself stopping. Its handy and does what I need.

Posted via CB10
    leojzueg, greenpoise, bbvj and 2 others like this.
    09-27-14 02:27 AM
    My opinion is that more resources should have been put into the android runtime and updating it regularly. That way if developers didn't create apps specifically for the device then the corresponding android version would be available.

This is the model BlackBerry is using now for BB10. If BlackBerry had done this for the PlayBook then would still have a 'current' tablet today receiving frequent app updates.

I have felt that if the only thing BlackBerry did before dropping support for the PlayBook was to update the Android RT and allow direct APK installation then the majority of us PlayBook owners would have been very happy.

Posted via CB10
    Banco likes this.
    09-27-14 03:09 AM
    I don't understand the decision to go with droid emulators instead of just buying a few dozen critical apps either...for the PlayBook or BB10.

Between outsourcing apps to amazon and not having any new touchscreen devices or CDMA devices in the lineup I have to admit I am not sure where this is going.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:01 AM
    Yeah, if I was BBRY I'd do some heavy ads showcasing BBRY security. Get govt and enterprise back on board. Spoof the recent Apple debacle.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:05 AM
    I don't understand the decision to go with droid emulators instead of just buying a few dozen critical apps either...for the PlayBook or BB10.

Between outsourcing apps to amazon and not having any new touchscreen devices or CDMA devices in the lineup I have to admit I am not sure where this is going.

Posted via CB10
    They tried that. Some just said no.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 08:07 AM
    I replaced my PlayBook about 3 months ago with a Windows Tablet. I do still have my playbook and I use it for taking videos. It still does that better than anything else I own. Audio and video quality beat most devices, even if it is almost 5 years old now.
    09-27-14 08:11 AM
    Mine has been essentially bricked because whoever designed this thing decided that you can't let it get below 3 percent. Now i have to go through this whole stack charging fiasco to see if I can revive it.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 10:51 AM
    BlackBerry even bought a firm that makes video editing software, but did we get a video editing app?
    Even my nokia n8 has a video editing app.
    09-27-14 06:46 PM
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but Playbook exceeds my expectations at the present.
    I can download documents,Network via wifi,use bridge,watch almost any video I want in any format,Download games,use some android app,Listen to Cristal clear music,Make slide presentations.Where is the problem?
    PlayBook UK, bbvj, awindsr and 2 others like this.
    09-28-14 11:37 AM
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong but Playbook exceeds my expectations at the present.
    I can download documents,Network via wifi,use bridge,watch almost any video I want in any format,Download games,use some android app,Listen to Cristal clear music,Make slide presentations.Where is the problem?
    I wonder where the problem is. The PlayBook is More than sufficient. I don't see where these complains are coming from.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 03:50 AM
    they did drop the ball yes. Cut their losses.
    I still use mine as a radio / media player.
    It must be fantastic. The quality of the speakers on the PB is second to none, if you ask me.
    10-02-14 08:45 PM
    I just got a Toshiba encore tablet. The browser is so much better than the Playbook's, but tablet suitable apps are in short supply, the speakers are placed on the bottom in portrait mode, so when you watch a video in landscape, the sound comes from one side, and connecting to a TV set over hdmi is complicated. Looks like I'll be keeping the PB as a media streaming device for a while.
    10-02-14 11:21 PM
    I just bought another PB 32GB 4G LTE and the PB is awesome. The version is better than the WIFI version. The PB adequately meets my needs. I will still buy a third as a backup.

Posted via CB10
    bbvj likes this.
    10-06-14 02:52 AM
    I loved the Playbook until the display went on the fritz. I have yet to hear a tablet that has better sounding speakers than the Playbook too. Nowadays I use a Galaxy tab s. But I am left wondering what the illusive 10 inch Playbook would have been like.
    10-06-14 06:24 AM
    I still use mine. I have a 9780 that I use exclusively for ONE of my business ventures, and with this, I use the Playbook (BRIDGE) to drive the 9780.

It also is good for general browsing and Twitter. I'd not recommend to a newbie that he/she get a Playbook, but to us hard core BBerry users, it's still a great add-on to a BlackBerry, especially a Legacy Berry.

My other business has me using my WindowsPhone, so I am jumping back and forth between a legacy Berry and a WP8.1. Quite a diff, but with the Playbook, the legacy Berry is not really that bad of a business tool, even these days!
    neoberry99 and bbvj like this.
    10-08-14 07:13 PM
    I too find the PB competitive with other tablets in actual use. I have listened to the phone output of other tablets and screens and the PB stills leaves them in the dust. At the hospital last week I was listening to something through the speakers and someone sitting nearby using an iPad mini asked what my new computer was as the video and sound made her new mini sound poorly. I have a couple of HD movies on it and she was awestruck.

When I told her it was a 3 year old PB she thought I was pulling her leg and started searching for the new PB to find where to buy it. Today I finished commenting on a 50 page contract using it along with addendum budget and forecast spreadsheets using DocstoGo so no need for a laptop or desktop computer, though admittedly a dual screen would have made life easier. I am currently updating some international tax templates containing in excess of 20 sheets with no problems. I don't see than happening on my kid's iPad Mini.
    dmlis, BBerryPowerUser and bbvj like this.
    10-11-14 05:33 PM
    My 64gb PlayBook is messed up, screen has green lines, I've never dropped it and always used a case. I switched to the iPad, sometimes miss PlayBook for its hdmi port and speakers.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-14 05:52 PM
    Yes...... The glorious speakers of the Playbook. I still haven't heard a tablet with better sounding speakers.
    10-11-14 10:22 PM
    I too find the PB competitive with other tablets in actual use. I have listened to the phone output of other tablets and screens and the PB stills leaves them in the dust. At the hospital last week I was listening to something through the speakers and someone sitting nearby using an iPad mini asked what my new computer was as the video and sound made her new mini sound poorly. I have a couple of HD movies on it and she was awestruck.

When I told her it was a 3 year old PB she thought I was pulling her leg and started searching for the new PB to find where to buy it. Today I finished commenting on a 50 page contract using it along with addendum budget and forecast spreadsheets using DocstoGo so no need for a laptop or desktop computer, though admittedly a dual screen would have made life easier. I am currently updating some international tax templates containing in excess of 20 sheets with no problems. I don't see than happening on my kid's iPad Mini.
    That's a nice write-up, sir.

I've always done things a little differently from the masses in life, in business and in technology. I don't mind still carrying a BlackBerry legacy device and could give a flip about looking "hip". If the device manages to help me in life and business, that's all I care about. I remember reading an article from a physical fitness guru whom also writes a column for Forbes. She said that since she caved to pressure from peers to drop the Berry and pick up an iPhone she's been in constant search of an AC plug along with a drop in productivity. I sent her an email and told her to do what I do. Carry a state-of-the-art smartphone BUT also carry a Berry. Why the hell not? Ari Gold of Entourage carried two phones. Actually, I run two very different businesses and I don't want ONE phone for both. I prefer splitting it, so it works for me.

I've never been an iPhone fan. I had a 4s but it just didn't do it for me. Android is s step closer, but honestly, the Windows Phone is the closest to a Berry productivity I have come. For raw business data processing, I still contend nothing beats a BlackBerry.

The Playbook tied to my Legacy Berry gave my old berry the boost it needed. Those of us that need reading glasses should definitely appreciate Berry Bridge. I know I do.
    bbvj likes this.
    10-12-14 05:00 PM
    I don't get it. I didn't drop my PB at all. It turned out yellow light blinking. What does it mean?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:52 PM
    Looks like your PlayBook was in low battery..

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:03 PM
    I replaced my PlayBook about 3 months ago with a Windows Tablet. I do still have my playbook and I use it for taking videos. It still does that better than anything else I own. Audio and video quality beat most devices, even if it is almost 5 years old now.
    My daily driver is a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and I'm finding I have mixed feelings for it. It almost feels like overkill.

Bought a cheap (almost disposable) Acer tab and was kind of blown away, to be honest. I'm really eager to see how well Blend works on it.
    10-12-14 09:40 PM
35 12