Anyone who bought a $500+ Playbook with no email, no silverlight support, no calendar, and no contacts list got ripped off.

If you bought in when they dropped to $200 then I would not call that a rip off, unless you compare it to an iPod touch, which I've discovered can actually do way more than a PB (edit video, Skype, Netflix etc....)
    I don't feel like I got ripped off, I bought cheap, but I did expect it be at least as functional as a off the shelf bb phone. Right now, it's about 50% at best for me. I use mine mostly for browsing and a few games. Email (mission critical for me) is best left to my torch. I still can't believe none of the reviews mentioned how crappy the email experience is on the pb. Even the ones who slammed it didn't even bother to look at the file manager, native apps, etc.

I haven't given up yet, but I know 2.1 won't be the answer I'm looking for
    06-23-12 07:41 PM
    doesnt retina just stand for a high DPI count so you cant really see the pixels ?
    i think the screen size and DPI for a 7" device is very good, i dont need more.

I dont hate apple, love my touch 4g, but for reading its just a bit to small, the ipad is on the other side to big for my taste. maybe if apple ever release a 7" inch device i could get that but right now im very happy with my playbook.
    06-23-12 07:46 PM
    doesnt retina just stand for a high DPI count so you cant really see the pixels ?

I dont hate apple, love my touch 4g, but for reading its just a bit to small, the ipad is on the other side to big for my taste. maybe if apple ever release a 7" inch device i could get that but right now im very happy with my playbook.
    "Retina" is Apple's term for a display the iPhone 4 has held 1 foot away from the eyes. At that distance, the human eye can't perceive pixels. But Apple has genuine competition in the newest devices from HTC, Samsung and others because they are producing phones that have higher resolution than the "Retina" equipped iPhone and similar pixel density even on much larger displays. The Pixel density of the iPhone 4/4S is 326 ppi and the Galaxy S3 has 306 ppi. The HTC One X has 312 ppi. That, technically, is no different that a "Retina" display. Unless someone thinks 20 or 14 actual tiny little pixels make a big difference.

The iPhone 4/4S has a 960 x 640 resolution while the GS3 and One X have a 1280 x 720 resolution.
    kolonji likes this.
    06-23-12 07:57 PM
    Well after almost a year of having the playbook I have given up on it and got a iPad 3 yesterday. The difference for me is like night and day. I just can't see how the playbook can compete. iPad browser is a lot faster and no chequer boarding, also the serve lack of apps is also an issue for me. The playbook is a good device for the money but is no competition for the iPad
    does the ipad have flash?

not really caring about flash on sites but on the flash vids. I even dislike flash as proprietary technology but more important:

Way to many sites I'm visiting have no html5 support so without flash support... the ipad is restricted too

just saying - differnt user, differnt kind of use, different

does skyfire etc. support real flash or just over their own server etc.?
    06-23-12 07:58 PM

That's the main reason I have a pb, the portability. Combine that with bridge and it should be an amazing experience. I say should be since my phone is a lot more functional.
    06-23-12 08:00 PM
    Well after almost a year of having the playbook I have given up on it and got a iPad 3 yesterday. The difference for me is like night and day. I just can't see how the playbook can compete. iPad browser is a lot faster and no chequer boarding, also the serve lack of apps is also an issue for me. The playbook is a good device for the money but is no competition for the iPad
    good luck with ipad. donot forget to pickup iphone on your way out

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    domo325 likes this.
    06-23-12 08:13 PM
    I played with the Ipad today at Verizon while my wife was deciding if she wanted a smartphone. I will admit it is really nice. but when I look at the $800+ price with 4g plus a monthly charge, I look at what I've got for $299 & I'm very HAPPY. One tech purchase that hasn't caused buyers remorse.

Funny thing is, everything I played with, I kept wanting to use gestures.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-23-12 08:41 PM
    I still don't understand why people feel they have to come in and say they are leaving RIM/Blackberry/Playbook for another product... We don't really care.

At least you gave it a shot and made a choice for something else.

I still dont understand why ppl still come to these threads, read them, then post saying they dont understand.

Probably because he spent a lot of time on these forums looking for info and felt he wanted to. , even if he just felt like he wanted to is good enough. Weird considering its a public forum huh? doh
    kdeckels likes this.
    06-23-12 09:00 PM
    I bought a 64GB on the day it came out. I was happy.. until a couple months ago. Even with the hardware it has .. it doesnt compare to an iPad or some Android tabs.. simple.

I bought a really expensive media player, web browser.

Will I keep it? yep.. Am I shopping for something else? yep
    06-23-12 09:05 PM
    I still don't understand why people feel they have to come in and say they are leaving RIM/Blackberry/Playbook for another product... We don't really care.
    Ten pages and counting of not caring.
    h20work and kennyliu like this.
    06-23-12 09:34 PM
    Flame on!

kozmo68 likes this.
    06-23-12 09:37 PM
    I have to say, based on the latest hardware specs from Samsung, HTC and others with their awe-inspiring displays and cameras and CPUs, pondering it makes me think the BB10 devices, which won't release until almost about time for the next, more advanced round of Android devices are released (this fall/end-of-year), are going to be shear stunners spec-wise. RIM is putting all its hopes on the BB10 devices and if they have any chance of competing with even today's Android hardware, they'll have to be stunners. Consider that the latest Android stuff has all that beautiful display tech, multi-CPUs and size, RIM certainly wouldn't bring out BB10 devices that didn't at least match up with what's out today. And by the time BB10 devices do arrive, the tech that's out today will be old and nearly obsolete. Surely RIM will put out BB10 devices that at least match up closely with what's out when they are released.

Go take a look at the current best from Android and marvel at the beauty of their high-res displays. BB10 will certainly have to be at least as good as that. So us BB lovers will be in for an amazing experience later this year.
    06-23-12 09:41 PM
    PB isn't gonna be good for the price for long. The google nexus coming out that's 200$ and has quad core tegra 3 android 4.1 jellybean is going to win for price and specs.
    06-23-12 09:54 PM
    PB isn't gonna be good for the price for long. The google nexus coming out that's 200$ and has quad core tegra 3 android 4.1 jellybean is going to win for price and specs.
    "Coming out with" key words, PlayBook is over a year old so you can't compare specs on devices that are coming out against the playbook. If the playbook isn't for you then no need to be posting on the forums.
    eternalemb likes this.
    06-23-12 10:37 PM
    The Playbook serves my needs, is small and bridges to my phone for presentations, mouse/keyboard use is easy and has HDMI out with a cheap cable! All for $199, which I bought last fall, before iPad 3 and when iPad 2 still cost $499 like most other normal tablets.

Best of all, I have become an app developer easily with Playbook, easy to code for and enrol as a dev and do amazing stuff on it, all for free!

You cannot compare today's tablets to Playbook, which is over 1 year old tech. Look at Amazon Kindle Fire and the newest Android tablets. Just like if I wait 2 years and buy a brand new tablet, it will beat the iPad 3 to a pulp. Like Microsoft Surface, or maybe Google Tablet when it comes out....

So when I bought Playbook for $200 it was an awesome deal and I have enjoyed using it for many months. Meanwhile I saved $300 which I can put towards the next awesome tablet when it comes out... while you had to wait and now putting $500 into a tablet with an overhyped display which will be obsolete in a short time. That is a waste of money unless you plan on using your iPad 3 for 5 years at least.

I would suggest my limit is $100 per year depreciation value on tech. I would not want to lose more than that. I expect a $600 laptop to serve me for 6 years before it gets too slow to do what I want. The Playbook at $200 for 2 years before I even consider looking for a faster newer tablet (not that I will though because I don't really need anything better right now). And that LCD TV for $1000 better last me 10 years+.

That is my rule of thumb. However, I find most of my tech lasts longer since I don't do gaming and do not need the fastest latest hardware to run it. I milk my tech way longer so my cost loss per year is less than $100 per device.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    kozmo68 and kdeckels like this.
    06-24-12 12:20 AM
    Cool Story bro
    06-24-12 01:42 AM

who cares if tablet is quad or dual core. there is no real difference in real life.

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    06-24-12 03:00 AM
    You're pulling out leg, correct? Both Corolla and Tundra have some same underlying pinning, for starters the same MAKER, Toyota.
    I didn't knew Playbook and iPad had similar same underlying pinnings, being the same MAKER. Oh wait, I think I am from Mars - that's wrong. PB and iPad have TOTAL two different makers, if you have not noticed that.
    You're missing the point.
    Replace the words Toyota Corolla with Honda Civic and read it again.
    06-24-12 07:46 AM
    I see this is still the rudest, most unfriendly forum on the entire internet, congratulations.
    06-24-12 08:55 AM
    I see this is still the rudest, most unfriendly forum on the entire internet, congratulations.
    Not quite. Check out the XDA forums. Spend a little time there and interact with them. You'll find them to be very caustic and hateful. Insulting you seems to be their motto. If you don't fully agree with them, you are an outcast and subject to harassment. It's as if there are people who patrol the forums for no other reason than to attack people at any chance. Crackberry has rude people similar to the ones at XDA, but they are usually from XDA. Mostly, though, the Crackberry forums are civil, kind and respectful.
    06-24-12 09:46 AM
    It's funny how a few bad apples make everyone feel the whole bunch are bad also.
    06-24-12 09:49 AM
    I hope it gets good reception for you under the bridge.

Have fun and enjoy. See ya.
    06-24-12 09:50 AM
    You then live a very sheltered life.
    06-24-12 09:52 AM
    Advice and predictions from a "1" post wonder.
    06-24-12 09:53 AM
    Out of the 3 Android is my favourite. I an an ipad 3 and a playbook. My Android phone Surpases both tablets in every aspect (no screen size of course). and I hate hiw the Ipad is 4:3 common apple, get with the times.

My next tablet will be a Quad Core with Android, Playbook and Ipad are very nice but they just can't compare.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-24-12 09:56 AM
190 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD