I am pretty much baffled by the majority of people and their tech usage. Many people buy advanced electronics and devices and then use only a fraction of the device capability. For example so many people with HD televisions don't even realise that their not watching an HD broadcast. I'm baffled that people buy devices as advanced as a tablet with out determining if it will do what they need or want.

My PB is a fantastic device; I bought it as an .mp3 player. It is also a great book reader; web browser; gps; movie player. Does a great job. It also plays some incredible games but I did not buy originally it for those functions.

If you need a particular app make sure you buy an tablet that will run that app! Don't buy an SUV if you need a limo. Don't buy a 1 bedroom condo if you need a country estate. Do your homework.
    Hawnz and kozmo68 like this.
    06-23-12 10:46 AM
    What I don't understand is why they have to post whenever they ditch a product for something else? What is the point of doing that? A lot of people do that everyday?

I still don't understand why people feel they have to come in and say they are leaving RIM/Blackberry/Playbook for another product... We don't really care.

At least you gave it a shot and made a choice for something else.
    06-23-12 11:20 AM
    Good for you.. as long as you're happy then so be it

Well after almost a year of having the playbook I have given up on it and got a iPad 3 yesterday. The difference for me is like night and day. I just can't see how the playbook can compete. iPad browser is a lot faster and no chequer boarding, also the serve lack of apps is also an issue for me. The playbook is a good device for the money but is no competition for the iPad
    06-23-12 11:21 AM
    Which slider flopped? The 9800? If it was such a flop I don't think I we would have seen a 9810? I liked my 9800. It fetched a tidy sum on ebay. Missed the keyboard of the 9900 though.

My car took a nose dive last week. Check engine light then a hole in the exhaust. I think I'll head to the Audi forums to tell them how much this car sucks and what a mistake it was to buy it. Of course I could do something more constructive and go fix the problems. Well after I shake this hangover.

The goodbye threads that detail why the decision was made can be helpful. The ones that just say this sucks and I'm going to get this serve no purpose other then to stir the pot.
    I. Had the 9800 last about 3 weeks and touch screen was horrible but it didn't put me off having a bb I went out and brought another. Rim cannot make a decent touch screen phone but their normal keyboard phones are extremely good and well thoughts th out.
    Re you other comment about ur car yes u could sort it out and u would also expect the exhaust would need changing at some point however what exactly could most ppl do about the playbook ???? It was a badly thought out plan from the start rush it out with no native software, no apps, no bes, no BBM shall I go on. That's why the pb is playing catch up and is it too little too late who knows I hope it can survive. It does seem a course of action on here to slate anyone that dares slate the playbook but at least threads like this help he someone who is undecided on what product to buy a more informed choice as a lot of comments have pointed out ppl's opinion on the good side and bad side of the pb. Also ppl's opinions on using different tablets before coming to the pb. I will stand by my comments that I feel the iPad is a lot better than the pb and yes that my opinion. Using both devices on the same wifi router the iPad is quicker and does drop off the network like the pb does. Also going to the iPad does make u see exactly not only the lack of apps but the expense of the same app between both devices
    06-23-12 11:22 AM
    For those looking for the Playbook "feel" with (close to) the IPAD smoothness, try the Samsung Tab2 7". You'll never look back, I own all 3 devices. BTW, this may well be my last post on a BB forum, I've been a loyal BB user since day 1, and bought the PB on preorder, but I know negative comments are not welcome here. Let me tell you, I work for the most conservative law firm on the planet, and we just made a decision to go with the Iphone, ditching our BB's for good. I really hope RIM can pull a miracle comeback with BB 10, but its been toooo long with the dated technology and I fear the end is near. Let me tell you after reading a number of the comments on this thread trying to say that the Ipad and the PB are "different" and shouldn't be compared, I think IMHO those comments are just dead wrong, and anyone who makes them (without really trying the two products) is just plain missing out. I can dictate a search query and have a fully loaded page of results on my Ipad almost as quick as it takes the PB to launch the browser and pull up the keyboard. And, want an app that matters (and can't be duplicated on the net): Xfinity has "sports remote" that live updates all available events on the Ipad, hit the event and it changes the channel on my TV to watch. Many other examples. Peace, don't be haters.
    smithey1981 likes this.
    06-23-12 11:41 AM
    NOOOO wxman123, please don't leave us, lol. Seriously, my cousin got that 7" SammyTab2 and it is very nice, but I prefer the iPad3 over it, even though I did sell it and upgraded my PlayBook to a 64gb model. My only regret is selling my original 16gb PB after that.
    06-23-12 12:23 PM
    For those looking for the Playbook "feel" with (close to) the IPAD smoothness, try the Samsung Tab2 7". You'll never look back, I own all 3 devices. BTW, this may well be my last post on a BB forum, I've been a loyal BB user since day 1, and bought the PB on preorder, but I know negative comments are not welcome here. Let me tell you, I work for the most conservative law firm on the planet, and we just made a decision to go with the Iphone, ditching our BB's for good. I really hope RIM can pull a miracle comeback with BB 10, but its been toooo long with the dated technology and I fear the end is near. Let me tell you after reading a number of the comments on this thread trying to say that the Ipad and the PB are "different" and shouldn't be compared, I think IMHO those comments are just dead wrong, and anyone who makes them (without really trying the two products) is just plain missing out. I can dictate a search query and have a fully loaded page of results on my Ipad almost as quick as it takes the PB to launch the browser and pull up the keyboard. And, want an app that matters (and can't be duplicated on the net): Xfinity has "sports remote" that live updates all available events on the Ipad, hit the event and it changes the channel on my TV to watch. Many other examples. Peace, don't be haters.
    The iPad and iPhone are certainly good products, and should make excellent business tools, but for the average consumer, they tend to be very boring. They do what they are intended to do, but they aren't a gadget lover's dream product because, after doing what they are good at, they don't provide any further fulfillment. The continue to remain stale and static rather than fresh and dynamic. iOS is essentially the same thing it was 5 years ago at launch. The hardware tends to provide more satisfaction than the software. But hardware alone can't keep a product afloat. When the iPhone first launched 5 years ago, it was the best the world ever saw. It was simple, reliable and was gorgeous. It employed smartphone capacitive display technology for the first time in America. I had one and loved it. I finally had a real smartphone tool to take care of my daily concerns and the call making was without issue. That was then, this is now. iOS hasn't evolved. Android wasn't around when the iPhone first launched so Apple didn't have to worry too much about keeping it fresh and dynamic. But Android is around now and is a huge force in the industry, which stays fresh all the time; it evolves and is dynamic. Apple should be innovating its software and evolving it because they have stiff competition. But they aren't. Apple is handling iOS like it's the only smartphone OS on the planet. They can't do that and survive. They may be at the top right now, but let them keep dishing out the same, tired, old thing. It will help BB10. People will begin to become more and more bored with it and start looking at alternatives.

I had an iPad and, once the novelty of it wore off after a month, I traded it for an Android tablet. I had an iPhone 4 for the last 2 years and when Apple announced iOS6, I chose to abandon the iPhone, sold my iPhone 4, and look at alternatives because iOS6 will just be more of the same, tired, old thing.

In a business environment, Apple's products can survive and work well because the business user isn't looking at it for personal satisfaction. They are needing a tool that is reliable and does what it needs to. In a consumer environment, Apple products won't continue to survive. They aren't providing the personal satisfaction any longer that consumers tend to want.

Good fortune with your choice. I hope it works well for you.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 06-23-12 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Corrected some words for the mentally deficient
    morganplus8 likes this.
    06-23-12 12:35 PM
    The iPad and iPhone are certainly good products, and should make excellent business tools, but for the average consumer, they tend to be very boring. They do what they are intended to do, but they aren't a gadget lover's dream product because, after doing what they are good at, they don't provide any further fulfillment. The continue to remain stale and static rather than fresh and dynamic. iOS is essentially the same thing it was 5 years ago at launch. The hardware tends to provide more satisfaction than the software. But hardware alone can't keep a product afloat. When the iPhone first launched 5 years ago, it was the best the world ever saw. It was simple, reliable and was gorgeous. It employed smartphone capacitive display technology for the first time in America. I had one and loved it. I finally had a real smartphone tool to take care of my daily concerns and the call making was without issue. That was then, this is now. iOS hasn't evolved. Android wasn't around when the iPhone first launched so Apple didn't have to worry too much about keeping it fresh and dynamic. But Android is around now and is a huge force in the industry, which stays fresh all the time; it evolves and is dynamic. Apple should be innovating its software and evolving it because they have stiff competition. But they aren't. Apple is handling iOS like it's the only smartphone OS on the planet. They can't do that and survive. They may be at the top right now, but let them keep dishing out the same, tired, old thing. It will help BB10. People will begin to become more and more bored with it and start looking at alternatives.

I had an iPad and, once the novelty of it wore off after a month, I traded it for an Android tablet. I had an iPhone 4 for the last 2 years and when Apple announced iOS6, I chose to abandon the iPhone, sold my iPhone 4, and look at alternatives because iOS6 will just be more of the same, tired, old thing.

In a business environment, Apple's products can survive and work well because the business user isn't looking at it for personal satisfaction. They are needing a tool that is reliable and does what it needs to. In a consumer environment, Apple products won't survive. They aren't providing the personal satisfaction the consumer wants.

Good fortune with your choice. I hope it works well for you.

As noted in my post, I have an android tab and love it! I agree with everything you said. I'll only add that even with ICS there are still quirks and crashes. Yes IOS is basically the same as it always was.... But it works flawlessly every time, something to be said for that.
    06-23-12 01:07 PM
    you must be a republican who loves. Buddhist jobs.
    06-23-12 01:25 PM
    As noted in my post, I have an android tab and love it! I agree with everything you said. I'll only add that even with ICS there are still quirks and crashes. Yes IOS is basically the same as it always was.... But it works flawlessly every time, something to be said for that.
    Tell me about it. My ASUS Transformer Pad TF300, which has ICS 4.0.4 on it, has some real bugs. But it doesn't worry me because I know updates and bug wrangling happen often with Android.

I know the iPhone is a reliable device, but I can't say mine, nor my brother's, was without bugs. Not very often, he and I would have to reboot our iPhones to clear away an issue. His was worse because his is an iPhone 4S. Mine was just the regular iPhone 4. Mine also had slow camera booting. And sliding the homescreen to the spotlight search was herky-jerky; it wasn't smooth. And my first iPhone...the iPhone 1...had an issue with the browser where it would slow down to a crawl after about 15 minutes of browsing. The system would be seriously sluggish. My iPad would get sluggish all the time, but it was a 1st gen. iPad.
    06-23-12 01:27 PM
    Ohhhh.... so torn.

Do I get popcorn and read this pissing contest to the end (only on page 6 at the mo') or just get on with my life...?

First post in a while... gonna hibernate some more now... wake me in the Spring when BB10 comes to PB.
    as200 likes this.
    06-23-12 01:52 PM
    In a consumer environment, Apple products won't survive. They aren't providing the personal satisfaction the consumer wants.
    Really? From what planet are you? Melmac?
    MrRJ likes this.
    06-23-12 01:58 PM
    Well after almost a year of having the playbook I have given up on it and got a iPad 3 yesterday. The difference for me is like night and day. I just can't see how the playbook can compete. iPad browser is a lot faster and no chequer boarding, also the serve lack of apps is also an issue for me. The playbook is a good device for the money but is no competition for the iPad
    totally agree with you here, but these people seem to enjoy being ripped off by rim for their unsupported devices, but hey atleast they finally got that contacts and calendar..
    smithey1981 likes this.
    06-23-12 02:59 PM
    *sigh*

10characters
    06-23-12 03:10 PM
    totally agree with you here, but these people seem to enjoy being ripped off by rim for their unsupported devices, but hey atleast they finally got that contacts and calendar..
    Ask the Windows Phone early adopters about being ripped. My PB has had several updates since I've had it. And I've only owned it for about 6 months. My PB has been as reliable as any iPhone I've owned. And it is much more interesting than the iPhone or WP phone.
    hpjrt likes this.
    06-23-12 03:21 PM
    Sorry to see you go, but maybe you can check back in 6 months to let us know how it's going and how the iP3 compares to BB10.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-23-12 03:44 PM
    How has RIM ripped me off?
    Marty_LK likes this.
    06-23-12 04:18 PM
    Sorry to see you go, but maybe you can check back in 6 months to let us know how it's going and how the iP3 compares to BB10.
    Most definitely. I would absolutely get a BB10 IF RIM can give me any reasonable excuse to do so. Heck, I stuck with my PB for a good long time mainly because I didn't want to "give in" to the Apple and Android masses, but I could only live in denial so long!
    06-23-12 04:27 PM
    I still don't understand why people feel they have to come in and say they are leaving RIM/Blackberry/Playbook for another product... We don't really care.

At least you gave it a shot and made a choice for something else.
    From what I can tell, many here DO care. Check these forums after an Apple Keynote, they are usually lighting up with talk about the new products. Usually is rings like sour-grapes, and false justifications (I remember one guy insisting the PLaybook, too, had a retina display, when it clearly does not...)

If a former Playbook owner comes on here and says 'Hey I switched, and I'm happy with the result' that should be a valid piece of information, right?
    06-23-12 06:51 PM
    How has RIM ripped me off?
    Anyone who bought a $500+ Playbook with no email, no silverlight support, no calendar, and no contacts list got ripped off.

If you bought in when they dropped to $200 then I would not call that a rip off, unless you compare it to an iPod touch, which I've discovered can actually do way more than a PB (edit video, Skype, Netflix etc....)
    06-23-12 06:53 PM
    Anyone who bought a $500+ Playbook with no email, no silverlight support, no calendar, and no contacts list got ripped off.

If you bought in when they dropped to $200 then I would not call that a rip off, unless you compare it to an iPod touch, which I've discovered can actually do way more than a PB (edit video, Skype, Netflix etc....)

I bought the 64 GB at full price on the day of release and have used it non stop since then. I not only didn't get ripped off, I chalk it up as one of the best purchases I ever made. It is my home computer and my video camera for all family events and my stereo. It's brilliant. Bonus points for how well it pairs with my also brilliant 9900.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-23-12 07:13 PM
    I remember one guy insisting the PLaybook, too, had a retina display, when it clearly does not.
    You're right. Only an apple product can have a "retina" display. They made up the term and applied for trademark. Any company claiming to have a retina display will likely be sued. Another brilliant piece of marketing. Not many know what it means but assume it's better then anything else.
    06-23-12 07:22 PM

Early buyers...some of them, maybe...may feel like they got ripped buying a PB at full price compared to the current price. But the reality is, they got their money's worth. The hardware alone is worth much more than people think. The PB employs some real and genuine top-quality, high-tech hardware which costs a lot. Any other company selling a tablet with all of the hardware the PB has would price it similarly as a full priced PB.

Another reality, and a sad one, is that people tend to equate "good" with price. The higher the price, the better the product. The PB, in some people's minds, is being perceived as not a solid or "good" product because of its current price point. Some people just aren't able to shake the belief that the PB can't be as "good" as other, top-notch, tablets because it costs so little right now. But the PB is a genuine $500, $600 and $700 product selling at an incredibly low price. RIM has to do it that way to sell it.

I bought my PB when it didn't have any of that functionality you mentioned and still could not believe my good fortune to get such a fabulous device for such a low price. I saw and knew the PB was a stellar and top-notch device back then, and still see it that way today. Having a Wolfson DAC and comparring its music production to some of my high-end MP3 players has confirmed to me as a media player alone, the PB blows the others away. Try to get such a quality MP3/PMP player for what the PB sells for...with its 7" superb-quality display and top-notch UI. Compare them based on the media playing functionality alone. See if anyone feels ripped.
    domo325 and lynxs_claw like this.
    06-23-12 07:32 PM
    You're right. Only an apple product can have a "retina" display. They made up the term and applied for trademark. Any company claiming to have a retina display will likely be sued. Another brilliant piece of marketing. Not many know what it means but assume it's better then anything else.
    By "assume it's better" do you mean "yes, it is actually a better resolution than the playbook has"? Just curious
    06-23-12 07:32 PM
    By "assume it's better" do you mean "yes, it is actually a better resolution than the playbook has"? Just curious
    The new ipad has a great screen, no doubt about that.
    06-23-12 07:35 PM
190 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD