I bought my PB on the first day it was available back in 2011. I use this device more than any other gadget/electronic that I own or is available to me.

Although my PB is still working wonderfully, still fast browsing (it's most frequent use) I'm concerned about if anything were ever to happen to it. Here's why: I have several friends/relatives with other devices that I have played with, even kept overnight to see if I wanted to replace the playbook with it. None of the other tablets compare to the playbook outside of lack of apps. I'm not that big on apps, so that's not a concern for me. So my two questions:

1. Any PB diehards ever used a tablet that is better or comparable to PB, if so which one?
    2. Would you consider buying a spare PB before they are no longer available anywhere?

thanks for any input to help with my decision!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-13 06:59 AM
    If it's works for you and you're happy with it, do it.
    10-21-13 07:02 AM
    That is EXTREMELY helpful!!! Thanks a LOT. I would have never thought of that!!!

LOL!
    castoridae likes this.
    10-21-13 08:01 AM
    But in many ways it's the only possible answer to you. I have a spare one by virtue of the fact the missus never uses it (having bitched and moaned that she wanted a 7" tablet back when I had an Asus Transformer that she decided was too big and unwieldy!), and I'm quite pleased that I do. I very much doubt I'd go and buy a spare, but I remain quite fond of the Playbook so it's useful to have. So it does come down to you and what you want. If you dropped yours on the floor today and broke it, would you go out and buy another one, or would you look for something else? If the former, then sure get a spare. But I'm sure you'd be able to pick one up either on ebay or the Amazon market for a fair few years yet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-21-13 08:09 AM
    1. Any PB diehards ever used a tablet that is better or comparable to PB, if so which one?
    So that's the only possible answer to my question no 1? How does it even answer question #1?
    10-21-13 08:19 AM
    So that's the only possible answer to my question no 1? How does it even answer question #1?
    I answered the bit that I could. Are you complaining?
    10-21-13 08:22 AM
    No, I was not complaining about your answer, just the first poster who really didn't answer anything at all. Thanks for your answer.

I guess what I'm really concern about is maybe I'm not thinking forward enough. Technology changes so quickly I'm wondering if it's just better for me to use it until I can and then see what's out there if it becomes unuseable for some reason. I also would really like to know if there is a comparable tablet out there to the quality build, functionality and fluidity of the playbook. I would give the Ipad mini a try but I just HATE having to download iTunes on to my computer. I also have a SIL who yearned for an iphone/ipad but her DH wanted to keep all devices BB (their teens had BB curves, then torches, now Z10's). He finally replaced her bold with an iphone for her birthday and she HATES it. Says so many thing about IOS irritates her and is actually thinking of reactivating her old bold.
    10-21-13 08:58 AM
    That's why I ask what you'd do if you dropped it today. It depends how much of an investment it is for you. You can pick them up pretty cheaply after all - is it worth �120 to have a back up to you or not? It does change really quickly. Funnily enough I'd thought about this too, and if I didn't have the spare one, I'd probably pick up the Tesco Hudl right now, as it's a lot of kit for very little money. I've used Android tabs before, and I can't say I loved them - but they have improved over time, so it would do. No doubt they will improve further. There are things that I do miss about my old Transformer, and there would be things I'd miss about the Playbook.
    wheresmy600 likes this.
    10-21-13 09:10 AM
    1. Most tablet are compatible or better depending on individual want and need.

2. No I would not but that is me.
    wheresmy600 likes this.
    10-21-13 09:18 AM
    Thanks KBZ. Do you have any examples of better/compatible tablets? The ones I have played with that I found lacking were: nexus 7, ipad2, Samsung galaxy tab, and another Samsung which I can't recall the name of but I believe it had the number 8 referenced in the name. What's your recommendation?
    10-21-13 09:49 AM
    Thanks KBZ. Do you have any examples of better/compatible tablets? The ones I have played with that I found lacking were: nexus 7, ipad2, Samsung galaxy tab, and another Samsung which I can't recall the name of but I believe it had the number 8 referenced in the name. What's your recommendation?
    I've only used some for short periods. What I'm waiting for is a win8, not pro or RT, with the newest Atom chips. You can still use traditional windows software without the high price of a win8 pro tablet.

I'm not a fan of iOS or Android. One is too walled and relies way too much on apps to be useful and the other seems like a mess that needs tons of tinkering to get what you want in my opinion. Not much help, eh
    10-21-13 09:55 AM
    I bought my PB on the first day it was available back in 2011. I use this device more than any other gadget/electronic that I own or is available to me.

Although my PB is still working wonderfully, still fast browsing (it's most frequent use) I'm concerned about if anything were ever to happen to it. Here's why: I have several friends/relatives with other devices that I have played with, even kept overnight to see if I wanted to replace the playbook with it. None of the other tablets compare to the playbook outside of lack of apps. I'm not that big on apps, so that's not a concern for me. So my two questions:

2. Would you consider buying a spare PB before they are no longer available anywhere?

Just so I don't get yelled at, I am responding to the "thanks for any input to help with my decision!" part...
    I just got my Playbook about six months ago and don't use it to near it's potential but just got another one. I have read a couple hundred posts and it seems like the PlayBook was a few years ahead of its time. I now can use the two to video with each other if I choose to when my wife or I travel. Perhaps this capability in and of itself has value. Yes there is no Scype but I think Scype sux and don't use it anyway. JMO
    dphjeff likes this.
    10-21-13 10:01 AM

1. Nope!!
    2. Yes!!
    FF22 and dphjeff like this.
    10-21-13 10:27 AM
    I bought a spare when the price dropped and don't regret it. I like the ability to swap out when one gets low on power. My cottage only has generator power so it's more efficient to charge 2 at a time.

Also handy to have one to loan out to friends

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    10-21-13 10:34 AM
    I have a primary 64g and a secondary 32g. If you can afford it, go for it. Now, whether something finally comes along that can truly replace the pb's rather intuitive system is a question no one can answer. Someone just posted their review of a new Nexus. See those pro's and con's.
    10-21-13 10:50 AM
    I have a primary 64g and a secondary 32g. If you can afford it, go for it. Now, whether something finally comes along that can truly replace the pb's rather intuitive system is a question no one can answer. Someone just posted their review of a new Nexus. See those pro's and con's.
    Unless one of those company actually bought or partner BB in the future. I highly doubt anyone can create the intuitive swipe gesture of PB or BB10. For one, not many users are aware of the existence and how we take for granted such basic instinct is so overlook by developers.
    10-21-13 10:55 AM
    10-21-13 10:58 AM
    If the spare is for /after/ your first PlayBook dies, it might be a crazy thing to do. The problem is with the built-in lithium ion battery. It starts degrading right after manufacture and not based on usage. You might be able to freeze it somehow to delay the chemical process, however...
    10-21-13 11:46 AM
    Not really much else out there than that so I think you have already answered your questions. As far as "backup", just note for the future they are talking about curved and and foldable screens, so tablet may look a lot different than they are now.
    10-21-13 01:24 PM
    I am a bit of a gadget hound and have a 64 gb Playbook, an iPad2, a variety of Kindles, and use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone. I use them all for different purposes, iPad for browsing and internet shopping (because of the large screen), Kindle Fire HD to hook up HDMI out and watch shows on my TV, and the Galaxy Note 2 for just about anything on the go. However, I recently fell in love with my Playbook all over again because I found that the latest version of the Blackberry Desktop Software lets me sync my iTunes music library to the Playbook very easily. The quality of the speakers is fantastic so now I have an ultra portable stereo with no need for extra speakers. Technology will obviously keep evolving but the Playbook is a great device. The prices are super low now so if you love it for browsing, I'd say go for the backup but also try it as a music player!
    10-21-13 03:51 PM
    I am a bit of a gadget hound and have a 64 gb Playbook, an iPad2, a variety of Kindles, and use a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 smartphone. I use them all for different purposes, iPad for browsing and internet shopping (because of the large screen), Kindle Fire HD to hook up HDMI out and watch shows on my TV, and the Galaxy Note 2 for just about anything on the go. However, I recently fell in love with my Playbook all over again because I found that the latest version of the Blackberry Desktop Software lets me sync my iTunes music library to the Playbook very easily. The quality of the speakers is fantastic so now I have an ultra portable stereo with no need for extra speakers. Technology will obviously keep evolving but the Playbook is a great device. The prices are super low now so if you love it for browsing, I'd say go for the backup but also try it as a music player!
    I've got into the habit of watching films and TV just using the speakers for this reason. I've never used other than earphones for that before. You're right, the speakers are fabulous.
    10-21-13 04:18 PM
    Nothing's better than a PlayBook <3 And yes I have thought about having a spare ... but then I think I would rather save up and get a Z30. Maybe.
    10-21-13 04:23 PM
    Sheesh, a guest appearance by a Celeb!
    10-21-13 08:19 PM
    Sheesh, a guest appearance by a Celeb!
    Here we thought a bunch of crazy old coots been left alone in this insane asylum.
    10-21-13 08:22 PM
    I bought five BlackBerry PlayBooks (one at full price on release day and four bought at employee discount roughly six months later).

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-21-13 08:24 PM
47 12