I have a bb and am interested in buying the PB but wonderng wheher I should wait or will most updating be done via patches I can download. Is there reason to wait for a new PB in he summer. I assume I can use existing data plan on my BB by tethering. I am with Rogers. Thanks.
    04-27-11 09:41 AM
    Updates are done OTA, and are released by RIM so you DON'T have to wait for carrier "certification"

The MAIN issue against getting a PB right now would be lack of apps. The PB is fine, the software is GOOD, but needs work and IS being worked on, as we have already received updates. So IF you can live with the app situation I say go for it. And over all I say go for it, as I believe the apps WILL come.
    04-27-11 09:47 AM
    I would think it depends on you. Do you want to go through the early adopter phase where you are waiting for fixes and additional features and possibly dealing with more troubleshooting as there isn't a wealth of knowledge for support about the device or platform. This is expected with any new device and platform. Or do you want to wait until many of the early quirks have been fixed, additional features have been added and there is a broader knowledge base for when you need help. I would think that's entirely up to you. I'm pretty sure you'd get mixed answer from those who love being early adopters and those that took theirs back to wait until a later date. So what I'm saying is that no one can really tell you when the best time to get a device. It depends on you. And who knows you better than you?

Personally, I'm waiting until the playbook has standalone PIM functions before I try one out. Not having a blackberry makes it a no deal for me right now.
    04-27-11 09:48 AM
    Like others have said, the PlayBook is still a work in progress. While it definitely has a lot of potential, the PlayBook is still rough around the edges. I mainly use the device for the browser and there are times where certain webpages (n4g.com and mobile.engadger.com) seem to make the browser hang up at the 50% loaded mark. I can usually get it to load by stopping the progress and reloading it, but it's still frustrating. I've also been on some pages where I can't click on any links (as a note, I typically leave Flash disabled). I'm hoping these issues get addresses fairly quickly through a software update.

Despite the problems, I do really like the form factor and feel like this could be a great device. I guess you have to decide whether or not you want to use the device while it is going through its teething phase.
    04-27-11 10:12 AM
    I have plenty of APPS on mine. for personal use I'm all set. for business I need telnet/ssh and VNC then I will be all set there also.

If your worried about getting the hardware now and then having to buy another one later because the hardware was upgraded I wouldn't worry I'm sure this device will be good to go for at least 2 years before the hardware is obsolete, But that's my opinion. if you want 3G/4G then wait for that model
    04-27-11 10:22 AM
    A major con:
    The software needs to be updated
    Screen is too small to view text using apps/websites that were not designed for this size screen

A few pros:
    I believe that the hardware is reliable
    If you have a BB phone then the Bridge is alone worth the money for browser and email when you are out of range for WIFI.
    The current apps are few, but, there is a steady supply of new apps to download.
    In a few months there will be Kindle and Android apps available too.
    04-27-11 11:18 AM
    As stated previous, it's based on ur preference. Me, I like having it from the beginning as I enjoy experiencing the improvements as they come. In the meantime, I'm learning all the ins and outs of the device as it is today. I'm actually typing this reply on my PB and I love this tablet! It's a slick unit and I love the gesture based functionality. Super fast and easy to navigate. I'm looking forward to the growing app library and the refinements/upgrades as they come out.

So, the choice is irs based on who u are. I'm glad I got mine and it goes everywhere with me.
    04-27-11 11:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD