Hey friends!

I have got a question considering the Playbook.
    I have never used one and know that software support is over...

But there is a phone shop in my area that still has some brand new devices in it's stock and wants to get rid of them.
    They would sell each Playbook for 50 bucks - which is very tempting to me. Those devices are even factory-sealed in their packages.

So here is my question:
    What is it able to do?
    Do any run any apps? (Facebook, Twitter etc?)
    Does it handle e-mail (alone or in combination with my OS10 device)?
    Does BBM run?

Or should I save my 50 bucks and forget about that?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 10:32 AM
    I would take my money and give it to donald trump before I buy another playbook. only use it as a media player from time to time.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    05-11-16 10:34 AM
    05-11-16 10:39 AM
    $50 is ok for the 64gig model or the LTE model! At least thats the max I would pay. I still use mine every night!

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2813
    05-11-16 10:40 AM
    What is it able to do?
    Do any run any apps? (Facebook, Twitter etc?)
    Does it handle e-mail (alone or in combination with my OS10 device)?
    Does BBM run?
    1. Pretty much only a media player--browser slow, runs lots of older games very well eg 9mm
    2. No Facebook, no Twitter
    3. Yes it handles email
    4. No BBM

You should probably save your $50.
    After saying that, I admit that I still use my Playbook, for running Nobex radio app (very good), streaming movies from Kalemsoft (very good), and occasionally sharing my Laptop screen with Splashtop (also good). Also I use it once in a while as an e-reader with the Playepub Book reader app (also very good). That is about it. It will connect with Box, Dropbox and Onedrive if you get the correct android version sideload apps. I will say, that even at 4 years old the battery in my Playbook lasts much longer than my Lenovo Thinkpad 8" tab running Windows 10 and to tell you the truth I still would rather use my Playbook than my Lenovo. Too bad, for a sad outcome on that device.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    05-11-16 11:18 AM
    Thanks for all your replies!
    Ok, sound not promising at all!

So then I gonna save the money.

It was really tempting for me, because the device still looks awesome.
    Especially when it's in a brand new box.

Sad that it's not worth the money.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-16 11:51 AM
    Loved my PlayBook to the end, but it died on me 1 year ago. Now I use Nexus 7 2nd gen with Priv BlackBerry Apps installed using Cobalt's method and is amazing, it has become the PlayBook upgrade that I always wished for. You can get one on eBay for $100 more or less and can use Blend with your BB10. So keep your $50 and get other $50 and you won't be disappointed.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-11-16 12:10 PM
    Especially when it's in a brand new box.
    I agree and its incredible to me that there are any "brand new" Playbooks anywhere. Must be a rarity for sure.
    05-11-16 12:41 PM
    Maybe you could ask the store if they are willing to drop the price below $50...I still use mine as a media player and daily alarm clock...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-16 05:42 AM
    in addition to all that was said above : beware of the battery age -if you get it, consider using it almost only for static, plugged use, or just a couple of hours wandering IMHO
    05-13-16 04:55 AM
    I still use mine as calculator (no joke) and to keep an eye on international time zones, but also for mail, calendar, weather and to play media (work-out videos, music files), occasionally I pick up BBM video calls on it.
    There are some great games (Hexage and others) in the appstore.

And finally, "income calculator" from Oleksiy Khozyayenok is still the best budget calculator app I know, and afaik only available for the PlayBook.
    I have tried dozens of BB10 apps and deleted all of them, because I can still use "income calculator" on my PlayBook...simply because one can easily configure recurring incomes/expenses to see how much is left by the end of the week/the month/the year.

However, I do not browse the internet with it anymore, because the performance (and security) of the browser is not adequate.

Since the hardare is robust, I take it with me during traveling.
    It's amazing, after four years I still have no glitches and it seems like it will run forever.

That all being said, the day will come that my Playbook will not boot up and then I wouldn't buy another one.
    Save your money for an iPad.
    05-13-16 06:47 AM
    What are the Browser security issues?...
    05-13-16 04:28 PM
    The browser, among everything else, is no longer updated.

To expand on this answer, obviously security updates no longer happen for the PB. At the same time, in spite of the resulting vulnerability, because of its relative obscurity these days (and arguably since it came out!), it's likely not a major target for attacks.

Run this test: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html

(Posting as not a PB basher, but a former owner who really enjoyed the PB, despite the shortcomings. It never got a fair chance...I'm talking to you, BB.)

Last edited by mh1983; 05-14-16 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added more details
    05-13-16 08:51 PM
    Playbook is dead. Leave it alone.

05-14-16 01:34 AM
    Playbook is dead. Leave it alone.
    Sorry to learn of your bereavement... but mine are all alive and remain very useful indeed.
    05-14-16 05:34 AM
    I have a PlayBook. I don't use it anymore since I have a Z30. Used to use it to type my work with. Now I do that on the Z30 and/or the Zenfone 6.

Anyway, Facebook still works . Twitter, I don't know, I don't use it. Email, sure. It runs on its own. BBM? No. You have to bridge it with a BlackBerry device. Same goes with SMS or text. Don't ask about Whatsapp ya. Doesn't work here.

As a media player, it's still one if the best as far as visual and sound go. Offline and online. Plays YouTube VERY smoothly on TubeMate or something. No Netflix nor Spotify, though. Browser? Sure, if you're a sadomasochist.

As an ebook? Sure, but I'd complain about the weight. A bit too heavy if you read long time. Comic reader? Nope. It loads, but stutters heavily.

In the end, one can only use it as a clock, calendar, calculator, or e-frame to keep and display family pictures, besides email and media player, of course.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bhoqeem; 05-28-16 at 01:52 AM.
    05-14-16 06:03 AM
    If 50 bucks doesn't set you back, get one and enjoy all it can do as we all have. They were far ahead of their time. Kool to play around with too

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-06-16 09:54 PM
    BTW playbook can run Facebook either the native app or Facebook lite.. and twitter works.. it's pre-installed and redirects you to the browser

Posted via CB10
    09-23-16 11:38 AM
    If these are brand new, they might be running the original version OS. I've read on some forums that rooting may be possible on the older or original OS. With Facebook, you can log on through your browser and add a favorite shortcut to your app screen. No need to have the app installed.
    09-23-16 11:59 AM
    I tried to sell my 32GB LTE 4G model with no luck. When I couldn't sell it for $50, I just decided to keep it. Maybe one day it will be a collectors item.(not).
    09-23-16 12:06 PM
    Actually if $50 for 64gb is OK but I'm not sure about the battery since it never been opened from the box for long time but you can try it and if you don't like just return it.

I use it everyday before bed for reading, browsing or watching online movies and never store any important document in it so I don't care about the virus because no one build virus for BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    mh1983 and dmlis like this.
    09-25-16 08:14 AM
    Well, first I would note what size of storage the tablet has. 64gb playbooks are available new in box on Amazon for $57 so use that as a reference point.

If it is a 16gb Playbook it might be worth $15-$20. A 32gb Playbook might be worth $30. The 32gb LTE playbook with its faster processor might be worth 70.

It still does email. What native apps still function work well. The android runtime is becoming increasingly useless. The native browser still functions reasonably well with flash and java turned off. For websites that require java to be turned on it is very slow.

Of all Blackberry's devices, this one was perhaps the most poorly handled.

The one thing a Playbook still can do is use Blackberry Bridge to pair with a BBOS/BB10 smartphone to share that smartphone's data/internet access without regard to carrier hotspot/roaming restrictions...

...which is a capability no other modern device can offer.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    09-27-16 07:34 AM