Thank for anyone reading and responding to this thread.

I will be purchasing a PB within the next few days but had a few questions since I am deployed to Afghanistan and might have some issues:

First off, I own a Torch 9800 which I have with me. I do have phone service here on my phone, but it is only voice, no data available here. I was wondering if that would be an issue trying to bridge with the PB (I still have lots of reading to do, since I've decided to take the plunge with a PB)?

Secondly, we do have internet service on my camp, but no wireless service. From what I have read the updates for the PB are via wireless, is there no other way to get updates from my wired laptop and get them to the PB? Worse case, I guess I buy my own wireless router and work it that way, but looking to keep from buying additional items to make things work.

Final question I have, I'm still debating on which PB to get, 16, 32, 64... Since I can bridge from my Torch, does that mean if I have music, files, videos, etc on my Torch I can transfer them to the PB and basically use my Torch as a file server, allowing me to purchase just the 16?

I'm planning on getting the Otter case for this, since I'm deployed and could run into various things that might bang up the PB, does anyone have additional recommendations for a case?

Thank you for your time, and looking forward to any responses.
    02-02-12 07:41 AM
    I do believe that your phone needs to have a data package in order for the bridge function to operate.

Thanks for your service!
    BB-Soldier, blue-b and Willard814 like this.
    02-02-12 07:47 AM
    Buying a small wifi router would solve your problems. as for size it all depends on your budget.
    Willard814 and BB-Soldier like this.
    02-02-12 07:56 AM
    Yes, some things are available over bridge browser, but don't expect blazing file transfer speeds. You can bridge without data plan but you will be dinged high fees if you open a web browser tethered to your pbone while roaming. Best get your phone unlocked and get a sim card, like Roshan if I recall. There will often be other nations with wifi if they're on your camp. If you're going to the south in Kandahar, there is wifi in various places. Get a 64gb so you can load up on movies etc. I fit the first season of hbo's Rome on my 16gb using only 4gb of space.
    02-02-12 08:01 AM
    Bridge will work but only for PIM(calender and files) functions and seeing as you have no data on the phone you will not have any data available on the PB.

Wifi is the only way you can setup the device when you receive it.

You can VIEW files via bridge but they will not play(music or videos)from the bridged handheld to the PB. YOu cannot natively transfer then from one to the other either. There is a paid app that allows you to copy files and view all the files on the PB(does not come with a native files viewer), Files and folders. For the price if the sale is still going on, IMO it would be senseless to pay the same price for a 16gb model when you can buy a 64 for the same price. IMO when speaking in terms of storage, bigger is always better.
    02-02-12 08:02 AM
    Yes you will need to buy a router to connect to the internet to update your playbook. There is no way to get internet via a cable on the playbook and BBs can't connect to ad-hoc networks so you can't even create the wireless network on your laptop. Your best bet (what I just did) is to buy a smaller/thinner and cheaper wifi router for $20+shipping online. I got a TP one from futureshop for $20.

As far as bridge goes, you need data for it. Otherwise the only things bridge will be useful for is calendar and contacts.
    02-02-12 08:02 AM
    You would also need wifi to purchase any apps - don't know how appworld works over there since it sometimes provides a version based on ip location/address.
    Willard814, BB-Soldier and blue-b like this.
    02-02-12 09:11 AM
    bridge - you can bridge no problem and have access to files, calender, contacts, memopad, and your tasks. You CAN bridge without data plan as its via bluetooth, but obviously you will not be able to use anything data related like browser (if trying to use through bridge) BBM, native email on your torch. You also cannot view or transfer media files from your torch to your pb.

As for the updates, if your wired pc has internet connection, and you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed, you can update it via usb just like you do with your torch. Unfortunately, the PB does require you to be in a wifi zone during initial setup and you cannot use it once you are through the initial setup. Check out unboxing videos on youtube to see what I mean.

This being said, your pb will be rather useless without having a wireless internet connection. You cannot download any apps and cant even use the browser. I cannot imagine what you may use it for other than to play NFS or to watch the HD turtle video. Wireless routers arent too expensive and it would be the only way to do it.
    BB-Soldier and Willard814 like this.
    02-02-12 09:57 AM
    If the internet in Afghanistan is anything like what we had in Iraq, I'd still get a PlayBook but with the expectation that it wouldn't be extremely useful until I got back stateside.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:05 AM
    First off, thank you for your service. You are a hero!

Bridge should work, update via DM as above, and get the biggest one you can afford. I only have the 16, and while I have room, I wish I had a 32 or 64. That being said, cloud services like Box are a big help.

I would also invest in a cheap wireless router.

Enjoy your PB and come home safe.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:08 AM
    bridge - you can bridge no problem and have access to files, calender, contacts, memopad, and your tasks. You CAN bridge without data plan as its via bluetooth, but obviously you will not be able to use anything data related like browser (if trying to use through bridge) BBM, native email on your torch. You also cannot view or transfer media files from your torch to your pb.

As for the updates, if your wired pc has internet connection, and you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed, you can update it via usb just like you do with your torch. Unfortunately, the PB does require you to be in a wifi zone during initial setup and you cannot use it once you are through the initial setup. Check out unboxing videos on youtube to see what I mean.

This being said, your pb will be rather useless without having a wireless internet connection. You cannot download any apps and cant even use the browser. I cannot imagine what you may use it for other than to play NFS or to watch the HD turtle video. Wireless routers arent too expensive and it would be the only way to do it.
    I'm sure I can ask around the camp here and see if anyone has setup their own wireless router and see if, once I get the PB, I can't get the inital setup completed and then work with Desktop Manager afterwards.

I wouldn't want to just get the PB and not do anything with it if I can't get it setup initially. The whole point for getting the PB is to use it so I don't have to lug around my laptop.

Again, worst case I can buy a wireless router on the cheap and do what I need to do from there.

For everyone else, thanks for your quick responses. Just got off of the shopblackberry site and found out that my camp address isn't "found" and won't let me order. I guess I'm making a call for the order.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:10 AM
    Yeah thats a good idea. I really hope you enjoy everything about it.. I sure know we all do!
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:20 AM
    The PlayBook is not like the phones, so you cannot install programs/apps via desktop manager on a PC. Desktop manager only provides backup and sync functions, plus the option to debrick for a base software install, but it still needs wifi to complete the install.

You may also want to ask why there is no wifi in the camp. You may not be allowed to set up your own for security reasons. For example, go onto Google maps and select the position icon above the street view man. If you are on wifi, it will use your wifi card to triangulate your position. I think Google may just be using wifi router locations sniffed out when the streetmaps cars surveyed the areas, but this technique may not be unique to google.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-02-12 10:46 AM
    The Army or Navy Exchange sells the Playbook, so I would go to the base PX and just order one through them.
    BB-Soldier and Willard814 like this.
    02-02-12 01:37 PM
    The Army or Navy Exchange sells the Playbook, so I would go to the base PX and just order one through them.
    And not pay tax on it...

OP:
    Thank you so much for your service.
    I am indebted to you, and most grateful.

Be healthy, travel safe.
    Lyls, blue-b and Willard814 like this.
    02-02-12 01:47 PM
    Thanks for your service we would not be able to hold this forum if it weren't for your bravery! Listen to these folks they all have excellent suggestions and advice. May I add that you definitely should get the Otterbox Defender you won't regret it!

Again thank you for your service and please come home safe!
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-02-12 02:09 PM
    Yeah be safe out there. I'm from Canada but still, I wish you all the best.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-02-12 03:55 PM
    You stated that you have a wired laptop? Connect your laptop to wired internet and use your wireless card in your laptop to make your own personal wireless network. If you have an Intel WiFi card it's fairly simple to do, as it's named "Intel My WiFi". It'll save you some money from having to buy a WiFi router.

If you need help creating a wireless network, post back and I'll give you step by step instructions.
    BB-Soldier likes this.
    02-02-12 05:27 PM
    Hello. Along the lines of Dorian, there is software that can make your wired laptop a soft access point if the laptop has builtin WIFI. Here's one that is free to try:
    WiFi HotSpot Creator - Features
    Definitely check with your camp IT, e.g. there must be some reason why WIFI isn't offered.

As for what model, get what you can afford or what you plan to use it for. The prices now make the 64 gb pretty attractive. If you are going to use it for games and video (movies), larger is better (until better streaming options become available). If you are just going to use it for browsing, the 16gb is fine. That's what have. I guess some ppl have used WIFI hard drives so that is an option when you get home. I wouldn't think that would be too portable to carry that around.

Definitely the Otterbox case for your environment. Now I feel like a wimp using the Otter in my house.

I echo everyone's sentiment here. Thank you and take care. Crackberry's got your back.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 02-02-12 at 06:19 PM.
    BB-Soldier likes this.
    02-02-12 05:54 PM
    Bah, well I check aafes.com lastnight and they don't have any Playbooks listed. I also went to the various Exchange Mall vendors from the website and I couldn't find anyone that sells the Playbook (saw lots of great deals on laptops though).

I guess I'm back to either getting it through Newegg or call up ShopBlackBerry (since my APO address "isn't found" and can't have it shipped via the website).

I saw that Office Depot had them on the their website for the reduced pricing, but they aren't available for web purchase (only in-store purchase). I guess I'll search a few other sites to see if they have the reduced pricing and will ship to an APO address.

Again, thank you everyone for responding and your assistance!
    02-02-12 09:58 PM
    I just came back from Kandahar in Dec, and I bought a 64GB Playbook while I was out there. I was annoyed at first that I couldn't complete the initial setup without wifi, but I did find some friends that had a router I was able to borrow to get it up and running.

Depending on where your ISP is hosted, you may or may not be able to download apps from App World, unless you use a VPN to obtain an IP from a supported country. From what I remember, I think NIR allowed you to download apps when connected to the internet through them.

As for size, bigger is better... It also depends what fits in your budget, but they all seem to be going for good prices these days. I got the 64GB, and it was great because I was able to put a lot of music, some movies and full seasons of shows I watch, and still have plenty of room available.

If you want to get one in your hands sooner rather than later, there is a shop on the boardwalk in KAF that was selling the Playbooks before I left but at that time they were selling for the same prices as when the playbook was released, so a lot more than what you could get it for back home.

Good luck man and stay safe!
    BB-Soldier likes this.
    02-02-12 11:10 PM
    Just wanted to say thank you as well for your service. The other people on this site are better equipt to help you.
    02-02-12 11:54 PM
    I just came back from Kandahar in Dec, and I bought a 64GB Playbook while I was out there. I was annoyed at first that I couldn't complete the initial setup without wifi, but I did find some friends that had a router I was able to borrow to get it up and running.

Depending on where your ISP is hosted, you may or may not be able to download apps from App World, unless you use a VPN to obtain an IP from a supported country. From what I remember, I think NIR allowed you to download apps when connected to the internet through them.

As for size, bigger is better... It also depends what fits in your budget, but they all seem to be going for good prices these days. I got the 64GB, and it was great because I was able to put a lot of music, some movies and full seasons of shows I watch, and still have plenty of room available.

If you want to get one in your hands sooner rather than later, there is a shop on the boardwalk in KAF that was selling the Playbooks before I left but at that time they were selling for the same prices as when the playbook was released, so a lot more than what you could get it for back home.

Good luck man and stay safe!
    Well we are snowed in, and I can't just pick up and get myself to KAF without good justification (my personal needs for electronics just wouldn't work for my Major). I was in BAF a few days ago and checked out the PX there (was very minimal pickings for anything electronic related). Thanks though for the information!
    02-03-12 12:30 AM
    Hello. Along the lines of Dorian, there is software that can make your wired laptop a soft access point if the laptop has builtin WIFI. Here's one that is free to try:
    WiFi HotSpot Creator - Features
    Definitely check with your camp IT, e.g. there must be some reason why WIFI isn't offered.

As for what model, get what you can afford or what you plan to use it for. The prices now make the 64 gb pretty attractive. If you are going to use it for games and video (movies), larger is better (until better streaming options become available). If you are just going to use it for browsing, the 16gb is fine. That's what have. I guess some ppl have used WIFI hard drives so that is an option when you get home. I wouldn't think that would be too portable to carry that around.

Definitely the Otterbox case for your environment. Now I feel like a wimp using the Otter in my house.

I echo everyone's sentiment here. Thank you and take care. Crackberry's got your back.
    Wow, I didn't even really think of trying to use my laptops wifi, I'm gonna have to check that out and see if I can't get it to work with my Torch!

Thanks much!
    02-03-12 01:32 AM
    Bah, well I check aafes.com lastnight and they don't have any Playbooks listed. I also went to the various Exchange Mall vendors from the website and I couldn't find anyone that sells the Playbook (saw lots of great deals on laptops though).

I guess I'm back to either getting it through Newegg or call up ShopBlackBerry (since my APO address "isn't found" and can't have it shipped via the website).

I saw that Office Depot had them on the their website for the reduced pricing, but they aren't available for web purchase (only in-store purchase). I guess I'll search a few other sites to see if they have the reduced pricing and will ship to an APO address.

Again, thank you everyone for responding and your assistance!
    There is a lot that's not listed on the web site...you can order the PB if you can get to a physical aafes store. I had to go to the Navy exchange at the Amphib base in Little Creek to order a Rolex Submariner.
    02-03-12 02:29 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD