Hello People,
    I'm really keen to get a Playbook but want to be sure I'm not failing to see what the world and his brother sees in the ubiquitous iPad - just looks like a sheep mentality decision to me...but leaves me in danger of choosing PB because I simply want to be different, well relatively at least.

Advice really appreciated.

I've had a BB since they came to UK on T-Mobile in circa 2002 or 2003. I travel a lot and want a tablet. I need it for work more than play but will be good to have more functionality than my basic Kindle.

Can the Playbook sync with Outlook calendars and corporate outlook email accounts? Will it pick up my contacts from existing BB and/or Outlook.

Is 16GB OK for storing movies? Can the Playbook work with iTunes from an iMac or do you need to put iTunes on a PC?

Does it have the kindle s/ware on it?

many thanks
    06-02-12 05:58 PM
    Hello People,
    I'm really keen to get a Playbook but want to be sure I'm not failing to see what the world and his brother sees in the ubiquitous iPad - just looks like a sheep mentality decision to me...but leaves me in danger of choosing PB because I simply want to be different, well relatively at least.

I've had a BB since they came to UK on T-Mobile in circa 2002 or 2003. I travel a lot and want a tablet. I need it for work more than play but will be good to have more functionality than my basic Kindle.

Can the Playbook sync with Outlook calendars and corporate outlook email accounts? Will it pick up my contacts from existing BB and/or Outlook.

Is 16GB OK for storing movies? Can the Playbook work with iTunes from an iMac or do you need to put iTunes on a PC?

many thanks
    It would do that plus more. As for the 16GB, I would suggest getting a 32GB or 64GB. 16GB will run out sooner then you would like.
    tabula rasa likes this.
    06-02-12 06:46 PM
    As an owner of a Playbook, Kindle, Kindle Fire, and an iPad 2, you'll find that PB blows the Kindle and Fire away. The iPad debate is more centered upon each users' individual interests and needs. If you own a BB, which you do, the Bridge functionality gives you a serious advantage over other tablet / phone combinations. (In fact, at this point, I couldn't imagine owning a phone that doesn't work so well with my tablet.) The primary benefit of it for me is the Bridge browsing capabilities. As you may know, you don't have spend another monthly fee for internet connectivity since your PB would use data from your BB.

Yes and yes!

Not sure.

You can run the Android version of it, which is pretty good. You can, of course, port over all your books too.
    06-02-12 06:50 PM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7u6DVny_uA[/YT]

06-02-12 06:54 PM
    Glad to see you do not fall into the "what is better" trap.... All tablets have their place and with the needs you stated a Playbook should do you quite nicely.... Would for sure go for 32 or 64 gig.... It is surprising how fast the devices fill up.... especially if you are into HD videos....

Good luck with whatever you choice is.... judging from the excellent questions and observations in your OP you will make the right choice for yourself....
    tabula rasa likes this.
    06-02-12 07:17 PM
    Thanks for all good advice. 32g PB seems like way to go as it has all features I need plus ability to use data package via BB phone...thanks again.
    06-02-12 08:00 PM
    Thanks for all good advice. 32g PB seems like way to go as it has all features I need plus ability to use data package via BB phone...thanks again.
    if you do travel a lot, you should know skype is not supported on the playbook, might be a dealbreaker
    06-02-12 08:29 PM
    Hello People,

many thanks
    I highly recommend going for a 64GB if you want to be able to store a season of videos on it as well as all of the best videogames and still have room enough for future apps and games.
    06-02-12 08:40 PM
    I have an IPAD and PB. When I travel, I take the PB, Skype or no Skype, The PB is such a nice size and in my opinion the browser is better and multitasking is definately way better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-02-12 08:57 PM
    Skype and netflix do not work, some apps for android can be sideloaded into it. If you are not into a ton of apps you will like it very much. If you are not sure go to the balckberry app world and see what they have to offer. Get at least a 32g.
    06-02-12 09:53 PM

Good one doc where'd you find that?
    06-02-12 09:56 PM
    Good one doc where'd you find that?
    YouTube

The BlackBerry Channel (Official one by RIM) Can you believe that?

Here are some other case studies.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jObR21NVHs[/YT]

Love this one, applies to my future line of work.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGubks35EGU&feature=relmfu[/YT]

More love for Waterloo

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnNL5XZbq1s&feature=relmfu[/YT]

VERY interesting way to learn, another one up for Waterloo (This university is also in Waterloo)
    sputneek and kbz1960 like this.
    06-02-12 10:10 PM
    Great Pilot Program at Park Manor PS.
    That will give those lucky kids a great leg up on their future.
    Reminds me of how a young Bill Gates happened to find himself living in an area where there were a lot of computer resources available.
    06-02-12 11:14 PM
    I would say to go with 64gb if you are a power user. 32gb is the minimum i would go with for ANY tablet because now a days you need like 2gb just fr apps, if you have a decent audio collection that puts you just under the 16gb already.

i bought a 32 and recently upgraded to 64... and am selling the 32
    06-03-12 12:22 AM
    if you do travel a lot, you should know skype is not supported on the playbook, might be a dealbreaker
    Why?

Does the whole world revolve around Skype?

It's just another treat of the week.
    06-03-12 01:21 PM
    Why?

People buy tablets to travel, they're portable.

Normal adjusted people communicate with others....and expect to use these devices to do just that.

Good luck doing this on a play book. What exactly is the point of a front camera on a play book? To communicate with the other 37 people on the planet who own one?

Yes, Skype is simply expected these days. Epic failure to release a product without it.
    06-03-12 01:30 PM

Normal adjusted people communicate with others....and expect to use these devices to do just that.

Good luck doing this on a play book. What exactly is the point of a front camera on a play book? To communicate with the other 37 people on the planet who own one?

Yes, Skype is simply expected these days. Epic failure to release a product without it.
    LOL 37 people. Quite an exaggeration there. I do agree with you but YES there are some of us who can care less about skype. There are rumors that skype will be integrated into the video chat but it a RUMOR.
    06-03-12 01:38 PM
    Why?

no it isn't just a treat of the week, almost everybody I know is on skype. When I went on Erasmus a european study exchange program I've met a lot of people from all the parts in Europe and yes everybody used skype to keep in touch with family, heck I still use skype to keep in touch with the people I've met there. My family is scattered all over the world and yes we do use skype to keep in touch, it might not be ideal, but to only tell this guy the positive things about playbook is not fair. I have a blackberry playbook, I love it, but I do wish it had skype. For MOST people, yes skype matters because it really connects people on so many platforms.
    06-03-12 02:44 PM

Ya think?

When I travel I take my laptop if I want to get work done.

There are lots of ways to communicate without having a snarly puss in the screen.

Who has time to listen to complainers who just want to whine and complain? With or without skype.
    06-03-12 03:30 PM
    Here we are off topic once again. I wonder what a poll would reveal.

Would you have purchased a pb if it had skype instead of another tablet.

If you haven't purchased a tablet would you be more inclined to consider the PB if it had skype.

If you don't have a tablet, are you considering the PB even if it never gets skype.
    06-03-12 03:39 PM
    If lack of skype on a tablet is an epic failure, then lack of front facing camera would be truly epic - but since that worked out fantastically well....
    06-03-12 03:43 PM
    If lack of skype on a tablet is an epic failure, then lack of front facing camera would be truly epic - but since that worked out fantastically well....
    That worked out well when there wasn't much competition.

Now ask yourself what would have happened if the new iPad or iPhone 4s came without an FFC. That wouldn't be the end of the Ipad or iPhone, but would definitely affect the sales.
    06-03-12 03:53 PM
    It would dominate!
    06-03-12 03:54 PM
    It would dominate!
    Just like Blackberrys?
    06-03-12 03:56 PM
    OP, you need to determine your needs then research the forums a little, and then go to a store and spend some time on one. Make an informed decision with no surprises.

We love the PB at work. I also travel frequently, especially into Canada and have never needed Skye video. I use Skype on my 9930, no need for video, really not necessary for communication. Skype voice, BBM and email are more than enough for business travel. As mentioned above, Bridge is a serious advantage also, as you already have a BB phone. Bridge and remote function have become indispensable for us in traveling, especially when doing presentations and in the field with no access to wifi. What's cool is the times I've been in my car finishing up a report and sending it off through Bridge, when with another tablet I would have had to find wifi somewhere, and no additional data charges.

From experience I can also tell you that traveling with the PB is a much more pleasurable experience than an iPad. Also I only carry one charger. The PB charger works great with my phone. The pluses are many.

I believe you will be very pleased with the PB, but do your research and hands on first.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-03-12 at 06:15 PM.
    06-03-12 04:14 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD