Update - I bought it....but even after semi-preparing myself for its present shortcomings, I was very disappointed. Bridge browser was so slow I did not even consider it a viable "decision making feature". Also, if my BB phone was more than about 30 ft from the Playbook my phone was undiscoverable. The regular browser would hang up and not load websites. Even after a reboot, it would work OK for a while then begin its hangup/crash routine again.

Ultimately, I could not bring myself to "bet" on the future of a $600 investment, so I took it back and got a refund.

I think RIM should have offered rebates on the device to motivate purchases at a "net of rebate price" that made more sense relative to the price of the Ipads and as a reward to the loyal BB customers that would buy the Playbook in hopes that it would soon mature into the device we all want it to be.

I think the rebates (in light of $3 billiion in cash on RIM's balance sheet) would have been a good move at motivating sales and in buying a little patience from those of us who wanted the device so badly. They could have stopped the rebates upon issuance of the "mother of all updates" that is promised to cure many of the problems with the current version.
    What are you for real? What blue tooth device establishes a com link over a 30ft separation distance???

I use my bridge feature day in and day out, it's as fast as accessing my data on my BB.

Sorry to say but this sounds like a TROLL THREAD!!!!

The PB does have some areas which need improvement - no doubt, but the reasons you give are definitely not as you describe.
    sj-performance likes this.
    07-05-11 11:10 PM
    i'll say wait..

i love my PB but yes it's lacking some fun apps.. for work it does well although too bad docs to go has limited feature...

use your ipad for now, wait untill those people who always say bad things about playbook bere say something good about it (hardware talks not included we know playbook is great)
    07-06-11 05:21 AM
    I was intending to wait for 3g/4g version so I could use whilst roaming with a different sim card and bridged/wifi on my home network, but my girlfriend bought me one as a present (arriving today or tomorrow).

I bought her an iPad, but always intended a PB for myself - we have different needs and wants. The PB seems to fit mine OK, but the iPad fits hers much better. I have no desire to be tied to iTunes, her collection is already iTunes based. I don't need Angry Birds at all times (as I rarely get a proper lunch hour, but it's great to play in the evenings!), she does get a break and likes the apps.

I shied away from day-1 adoption to purposely wait until teething had settled down as tech always runs into the exact problems that the PB has. However, a few months in I'm looking forward to enjoying mine and for future developments.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. If you have an iPad, it's probably better to wait until the PB is polished and perfect, but if you don't mind getting stuck in and being part of evolution, get stuck in!
    07-06-11 07:44 AM
    What are you for real? What blue tooth device establishes a com link over a 30ft separation distance???

I use my bridge feature day in and day out, it's as fast as accessing my data on my BB.

Sorry to say but this sounds like a TROLL THREAD!!!!
    The PB does have some areas which need improvement - no doubt, but the reasons you give are definitely not as you describe.
    You don't like the PlayBook? TROLL TROLL TROLL

But in all seriousness, he said he doesn't feel like spending $600 on potential. I guess tha tmakes him a troll. Can you blame him? Rim hasn't delivered on anything when it comes to the PlayBook. It's all coming tho.
    Last edited by brucep1; 07-06-11 at 07:59 AM.
    07-06-11 07:53 AM
    I have the same question -- buy now or wait -- but I"m asking within a very specific context.

I'm aware of all the limitations and capabilities. My use is primarily to be an input/output device for my BES, a browser, and to play videos for business demos.

I'll be getting one "soon" for sure. The question is wheth to wait a few months for the rumored 4G version which I assume could also be called a next-gen.

I'm on Verizon and the BB Bold is not yet 4G, but the new Bold due out within a few months is going to be 4G/LTE. I always have my phone with me, so I really have no problem relying on the phone. I realize Bridge will make full use of the new 4G phone when it comes out. And I'm sure the 4G phone will be out well before a 4G Playbook.

The question is whether it's worth it to wait for a 4G / "next-gen" Playbook?

How soon might it be out? (I suppose this might be the only relevant question if the answer is "may not be until verylate this year, or even spring".)

Is it possible/likely it will have the ability to do a direct BES data plan? (Would be nice and would be worth the money to me even though it can use Bridge too.)

And, importantly, is it likely to be a 2nd-gen model with overal superiorty to what's available now?

Thanks!
    08-13-11 04:33 PM
    Besides improving/updating the Keyboard and making E-Mail/Contacts, etc. Native, for me there's nothing wrong with the PlayBook.

As for APPS, everyone knows you will never get it from RIM.

RIM should also drop the Second Generation, instead focus on this releasing the necessary Upgrades, changing their Marketing and dropping the Price. Let's all be honest here the PlayBook is a joke in the Tablet World and RIM is not doing anything about it.
    08-13-11 05:18 PM
    So, if the Playbook is due out via VZW "soon" based on the newly leaked image of the VZW inventory system, what should we expect it to be?

RIM just announced that a Playbook 4G/LTE is just now going into the science lab to begin testing, meaning it's clearly many months away at best (spring if we're lucky, I would guess).

So, what should we expect this upcoming Playbook from VZW to be?

The same generic WiFi-only unit as Best Buy and Office Depot currently carries, that uses Bridge to rely on your BB phone for your BES? Same version that exist now? I would think so.

Or something newer? Possibly VZW-data-capable? I would think not.

I was about to go buy a Playbook and now I'm not sure if there's any point in waiting for the VZW-offered Playbook.

I'd sure appreciate any thoughts that might potentially be useful.

Thanks!
    08-13-11 06:02 PM
    ^vzw pb will be the same.vzw cannot do something new since this is rim's product not theirs.
    08-13-11 06:54 PM
    Radio version will be nice to have..but will be more expensive, 100$ more..
    08-13-11 07:00 PM
    i just bought another one.
    08-13-11 07:45 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD