05-15-13 04:11 PM
31 12
tools
    kalemsoft media player app will handle all video formats, at least all I have tried so you shouldn't have any issues.
    THIS! You will need to buy this app via BlackBerry World for $4.99 $6.99 in Canada too...it was cheaper I thought, maybe not...still worth every cent. But in your case, it is ESSENTIAL. Then you can watch MKV's all the time...I do.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 05-15-13 at 11:50 AM. Reason: F2 was right, my price was wrong.
    05-15-13 11:43 AM
    I've generally had no problems with avi or mp4 formats using the included Video app. Some mkv's also play (as noted the audio coding can be an issue).

But with Kalemsoft I've not run into any issues.

BlackBerry World - KalemSoft Media Player - Playbook

KalemSoft - Home

(and sorry, it is $6.99 in the U.S.)
    05-15-13 11:47 AM
    THIS! You will need to buy this app via BlackBerry World for $4.99 $6.99 in Canada too...it was cheaper I thought, maybe not...still worth every cent. But in your case, it is ESSENTIAL. Then you can watch MKV's all the time...I do.
    I take no issue with wholehearted advocacy of Kalemsoft's app. But one thing it isn't, is essential. The PlayBook has EXCELLENT native video codec and container support. Support for audio codecs is decent, albeit limited, but tends to be what really is the problem for why some, in ignorance, believe the PlayBook's native video support is lacking.
    05-15-13 11:53 AM
    I take no issue with wholehearted advocacy of Kalemsoft's app. But one thing it isn't, is essential. The PlayBook has EXCELLENT native video codec and container support. Support for audio codecs is decent, albeit limited, but tends to be what really is the problem for why some, in ignorance, believe the PlayBook's native video support is lacking.
    Ignorance or not, I don't see FLV video on the PlayBook as native for one codec...VOB for two...

Here's the specs on the PlayBook at a finer detail: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...a_support.html

BlackBerry's own listing available native video formats: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...a1328730952678

KalemSoft Media Player

http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/produc...KSMPlayer.html

A media player application with support for streaming content from a remote PC. It can play media files with common codecs and containers such as wmv, mp4, mkv, avi, ts, m2ts, flv, vob, ogg, h264, divx, xvid, rm, rmvb, wma, mp3, ac3, dts, etc. stored on the device as well as on a remote PC. KalemSoft Media Player can also stream live content such as a stream from a video camera or a TV card (currently only analog TV cards supported) attached to a remote PC. The streaming server is a separate application named KalemSoft Media Streamer that is available for free.

Features:

Can stream many different content types (non-copy protected media only)
    Can locally play many different content types (non-copy protected media only)
    Stream from webcams, TV cards or any Direcshow compatible capture devices
    Supports embedded SSA/text and external SRT subtitles with multiple language encodings
    Can record streams locally on the device
    Full screen video playback
    Can shuffle and play music and videos back to back
    Favorites list
    05-15-13 12:57 PM
    Ignorance or not, I don't see FLV video on the PlayBook as native for one codec...
    That's 'cos it's not a codec - it's a container. The codec would be flash video.

I've no idea whether the stock video app would support .flv files, but then I doubt there's a huge amount of call for them.

VOB for two...
    .vob isn't a codec, either - that would be mpeg-2, which - as your link shows - the PlayBook supports. Although audio likely to be AC3 / DD (or possibly dts I suppose) - and anyways, who copies VOBs on to their media playback device these days. Nearly everybody archives / converts / encodes to some sort of mpeg4 video.

Yes, you probably can't just rip a DVD and slap it on the PlayBook and get 100% success, but then: 1) who does that much DVD ripping these days and 2) defeating enhanced copy protection probably means 3rd party DVD software on a computer, and 3) who keeps things in the mpeg-2 domain these days?

Here's the specs on the PlayBook at a finer detail: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...a_support.html

BlackBerry's own listing available native video formats: https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...a1328730952678
    See? Thanks for making my point.

I've no argument with people advocating Kalemsoft for it's true features - I'm just wanting to point out that the native video and codec support is quite expansive - and that the PlayBook's video support often gets slated in ignorance because people try playing video on it with AC3 audio, then go on to talk about how it's video and mkv support is poor, when really most of it is simply because AC3 audio isn't supported natively.

Yes, it's not as comprehensive as payware apps, or video playback apps used on other platforms - but what I would say is compare those codec support specs with the native codec support on other platforms / devices, and it's none too shabby. Especially for the likes of video you'd normally find in mp4 or mkv.
    05-15-13 03:23 PM
    OK well thanks for the lesson on containers vs codecs, I see your point. I myself use Kalemsoft for the streaming capabilities...

I haven't had a problem with MKV's on my PlayBook using the stock player either mind you and I wasn't really complaining about the stock player. I don't personally rip DVD VOB's to the PlayBook either as I don't have that kind of free space on my tablet. I do use MKV's because of the good balance between quality and file size. They look pretty good through HDMI on a large screen TV too from across the room.

The only thing I can add to this discussion in that once you rip a video from YouTube (or even some adult orientated sites for those that view "stuff") it often comes down as FLV. I have seen YouTube videos come down as mp4's too. I haven't tried to watch an FLV video file via the stock player but I have via Kalemsoft's. It works fine.
    05-15-13 04:11 PM
31 12