I've recently been in need of a decent, robust tablet and I haven't found one I was happy with. I remember playing around with the PB when it first came out and found it practical and enjoyed it's functionality. I didn't need one back then so I never thought to pick one up. Now things have changed and, after trying out several of the latest tablet offerings out there and not finding one to my liking, I've thought maybe an old PB would be best. I can buy used for less than $100, or new for around $200.

So it's simple: Should I buy a Playbook? Would it be worth it? Or is there any chance the rumors are true and a new PB will be available in the near future?
    02-20-14 05:39 AM
    The playbook is very underestimated. I have had one for 2+ years. All I need or want.

DHS
    02-20-14 05:47 AM
    I'm using mine on a daily basis, my old laptop died yesterday. Does a fine job.

The native browser is slow. Use Origami.

There are a lot of garbage apps on BBW so look here and read the reviews.

Make sure there isn't some mission critical app that you will be missing out on.

Otherwise, go for it.
    02-20-14 07:01 AM
    If you decide to buy a PB, go with NEW, Amazon has 'em, and you will get a warranty to boot!
    get the 64gb. you will want the space for music/vids...

c
    02-20-14 08:50 AM
    To be honest I wouldn't recommend you getting a PlayBook now. You'll be stuck with a slow browser a company that doesn't support it anymore and they practically have no apps. How much is it going for? I wouldn't spend more then 50 bucks now.

If it's more then 100 I would recommend buying one of the android tablets more bang for your buck, more apps supported and faster.

And I have a PlayBook it's collecting dust I was hoping BlackBerry would honor their promise of bb10 coming (major reason why I bought a PlayBook in the first place) and if I had known they were gonna butcher the bridge with the new bb10 devices I wouldn't have gotten the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 09:28 AM
    Only if you don't mind slow and annoying. Origami does nothing mere than turning Java script and flash off as a default. Can do the same thing with the stock browser to make it faster also. Trouble is, I want those options on.

If does what you want today and you can get it cheap enough, otherwise I would not.
    02-20-14 09:36 AM
    I just bought one and I like it. For the price, it's better than a cheap android tablet. There are too many compromises with cheap android tablets. This is changing as CPUs get cheaper, but it's still a problem. I'm talking about ~ $100 tablets here, which is what a PB sells for now. At the $200 price point, the PB can't quite compete. If you need specific apps, you'd better check first if they are available for the PB.
    02-20-14 11:56 AM
    good gawd, for a $100 bucks more you can buy a Microsoft Surface RT and have something that is newer and more productive and FUN! why get something that is outdated and more importantly not supported? the Surface RT is the shiznit!!!! lol
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-20-14 10:06 PM
    Only if you don't mind slow and annoying. Origami does nothing mere than turning Java script and flash off as a default. Can do the same thing with the stock browser to make it faster also. Trouble is, I want those options on.
    I respectfully disagree. While the above is pretty much true re: Origami, the browser has a vastly improved UI. It also allows you to attach your specific settings to a bookmark (some of mine are in desktop mode, some in mobile, some with ad block, some with javascript turned off, etc). Great flexibility. Even having those switches handy with one click make things more convenient. You also can't do ad blocking in stock.
    Last edited by mh1983; 02-21-14 at 12:00 PM.
    02-21-14 10:30 AM
    I respectfully disagree. While the above is pretty much true re: Origami, the browser has a vastly improved UI. It also allows you to attach your specific settings to a bookmark (some of mine are in desktop mode, some in mobile, some with ad block, some with JS turned off). Even having those switches handy with one click make things more convenient. You also can't do ad blocking in stock.
    I'm with mh1983. I've tested the default and Origami with the Crackberry site and there is significantly less checkerboarding with Origami. In booster mode, the Origami browser flies...faster than Chrome on my Nexus 7 (1st gen). I use booster mode for general web browsing and can easily turn on desktop mode when I need it. I am continually hitting a link in Chrome when it hasn't quite loaded and I'm off to some unintended page. Also, in android, you will get different content (HTML5?) on flash sites if they even load at all. I find it strange how some don't like PB web browsing but I find it great. Guess I have different expectations...LOL.
    02-21-14 10:51 AM
    I respectfully disagree. While the above is pretty much true re: Origami, the browser has a vastly improved UI. It also allows you to attach your specific settings to a bookmark (some of mine are in desktop mode, some in mobile, some with ad block, some with javascript turned off, etc). Great flexibility. Even having those switches handy with one click make things more convenient. You also can't do ad blocking in stock.
    While origami has more options I was talking about speed. It isn't any faster than the stock browser when Java script and flash are turned off. On if you like a white screen more than checkerboard origami gives you that too.
    02-21-14 12:04 PM
    I'm with mh1983. I've tested the default and Origami with the Crackberry site and there is significantly less checkerboarding with Origami. In booster mode, the Origami browser flies...faster than Chrome on my Nexus 7 (1st gen). I use booster mode for general web browsing and can easily turn on desktop mode when I need it. I am continually hitting a link in Chrome when it hasn't quite loaded and I'm off to some unintended page. Also, in android, you will get different content (HTML5?) on flash sites if they even load at all. I find it strange how some don't like PB web browsing but I find it great. Guess I have different expectations...LOL.
    I guess you do. I guess I expect too much?
    02-21-14 12:05 PM
    PlayBook UK will be listing the Top Apps for the PlayBook in the next couple of weeks...the definitive list! keep a lookout!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    02-22-14 07:09 AM