01-04-12 04:35 PM
47 12
tools
    I have a 16gb Playbook and it lies flat on a flat surface. I just got a 64gb Playbook and it has a slight bulge on the back which causes it to wobble a bit.

I know that there's at least 2 other threads about bulging backs, but I wanted to start a new thread trying to relate it to Playbook version to see if there's any correlation.

If you have this bulge, what Playbook do you own (16, 32, 64)?
    09-10-11 03:58 PM
    My 16GB looks like it has a very slight bulge, but it lies flat with no wobble.
    09-10-11 04:02 PM
    I've had all 3, and there's a slight bulge on all of them. It really depends on the batch being made. Some are worse than others (in my case, the 16gb was THE worst).
    09-10-11 04:02 PM
    The root cause seems to be a combination of heat dissipation rate and CPU mounting to the system board. A BlackBerry logo-pattern of heat dissipation vents (holes) in the back of the tablet might have eliminated 99.9% of the bulge incidents. I still fear ever having to send the tablet away to have the battery replaced in a few years. Maybe I should purchase a second BlackBerry PlayBook as a standby replacement for that inevitable day when my current tablet battery decides it wants to sleep the eternal sleep or cannot hold a charge for more than 30 minutes.
    09-10-11 04:32 PM
    The root cause seems to be a combination of heat dissipation rate and CPU mounting to the system board. A BlackBerry logo-pattern of heat dissipation vents (holes) in the back of the tablet might have eliminated 99.9% of the bulge incidents. I still fear ever having to send the tablet away to have the battery replaced in a few years. Maybe I should purchase a second BlackBerry PlayBook as a standby replacement for that inevitable day when my current tablet battery decides it wants to sleep the eternal sleep or cannot hold a charge for more than 30 minutes.
    I'm thinking more of a cpu mounting or some other manufacturing misalignment since mine has yet to be powered on. I noticed the bulge right out of the box.
    09-10-11 04:45 PM
    2 16g's. One has a slight bulge. The new one has a huge bulge and it's being returned. I was watching the disassembly videos and I don't see what causes it. I see the mother board right in the middle but why would it be pushed out there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 05:01 PM
    I have a 16 g and purchased it on day 1 from Staples in Canada. Let's get more granular...
    Date
    I'd suggest a serial number but that might be too much info...???
    09-10-11 07:35 PM
    i think it might be related to race. should we also include this information...
    09-10-11 08:24 PM
    i think it might be related to race. should we also include this information...
    I would also request gender and hair color.
    09-10-11 09:18 PM
    I'm thinking more of a cpu mounting or some other manufacturing misalignment since mine has yet to be powered on. I noticed the bulge right out of the box.
    There have been postings on this forum about people returning bulging tablets to RIM and they are returned without the bulge. So I would not discount your hypothesis regarding manufacturing detect in terms of mounting the CPU. Others have claimed as the tablet heats up the bulge becomes more noticeable when placed on a flat surface such as a desk or table.
    09-10-11 09:31 PM
    Rim's answer to the bulge today was return it to the store. They are saying it's not a defect but take it back if it bothers you.

One of my PB's has a slight wobble and it's no big deal. The other has a huge bump and it's not acceptable.
    09-10-11 09:45 PM
    I have a bulge and I LOVE it..... Ohhh but my PB doesn't... have a bulge....
    09-10-11 10:00 PM
    Rim's answer to the bulge today was return it to the store. They are saying it's not a defect but take it back if it bothers you.

One of my PB's has a slight wobble and it's no big deal. The other has a huge bump and it's not acceptable.
    Rim is definitely handing out BS! If the bump is that extreme is is NOT normal and it is a defect.
    09-11-11 12:14 AM
    I have a 32gb with a slight wobble but as I mostly us it in a Blackberry case I don't notice it.
    09-11-11 06:26 AM
    I'm pretty certain that if two devices share the same model number, but aren't physically identical, then there's a defect. I don't see how it could be argued any way.
    09-11-11 06:30 AM
    Battery May cause that problem ... If that Happened After a certain Time...
    09-11-11 06:36 AM
    mine has a slight bulge and wobbles, i think its more on how the back part has been made. i'm thingking its more of the metal logo.
    09-11-11 06:54 AM
    Sorry to resurrect this thread--but I was wondering if those who reported bulges on the back of their playbooks subsequently experienced any issues at all? Did the bulge get bigger over time? Did anyone send theirs back to RIM and receive it back *without* a bulge.

Mine is raised on the back around the logo as well. If its a manufacturing variance that's one thing, but if the battery is swelling then I'd want to deal with it before it gets too much worse. I suspect mine may have developed this problem after I received it -- perhaps because I tend to play a lot of games on my PB and it heats up. However, so far I've experienced no battery issues or other problems.

When I called RIM, the guy said he'd never heard of this condition and offered an RMA -- but since my PB doesn't have a single dead pixel and a power button that works perfectly I'm hesitant to gamble.
    12-20-11 09:29 AM
    The batteries are on either side of the logo so no worry there. It's nothing more then a manufacturing variance.
    12-20-11 09:34 AM
    Any physical deformation not by design is a concern. If you have a bulge just get it replaced with a good one, slight or large. It could be a sign of things to come.
    12-20-11 09:37 AM
    16bg, Appears to have slight bulge but lays flat with no wobble.
    12-20-11 09:47 AM
    32gb here, No bulge, No wobble.....lays flat.
    12-20-11 09:51 AM
    Any physical deformation not by design is a concern. If you have a bulge just get it replaced with a good one, slight or large. It could be a sign of things to come.
    It's a sign of nothing. Nothing will come of it. Nothing to be concerned about. If it wobbles on a flat surface and that is unacceptable to you then try an exchange.
    I'll ignore alot of things but not misinformation.
    12-20-11 09:53 AM
    64 GB here, a few months old, small bulge right out of the box. Otter Box covers it, out of sight, out of mind.
    12-20-11 10:06 AM
    my 16gb has no bulge what so ever the back is flat as can be :P
    12-20-11 10:16 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD