View Poll Results: Does Your PlayBook Wobble On A Flat Surface?

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and my power button is flush

175 29.97%
  • No and my power button is raised

176 30.14%
  • Yes and my power button is flush

101 17.29%
  • Yes and my power button is raised

132 22.60%
    unfortunately not. I bought it at the massively discounted firesale and now the prices have all gone up. And with the problems i have had (first playbook wouldnt bridge properly, corresponding playbooks have had the buldge), i am not really ready and willing to hand over MORE cash for a 32gb one.
    01-23-12 12:49 PM
    I actually got the Demo model from a store, it's a pretty long story. Anyway, no bulged back and a perfectly fine raised power button.

I guess I was lucky.
    ralphydelgado likes this.
    01-23-12 12:51 PM
    It's just the process of the manufacturer "Staking" the BB Logo onto the back of the unit. It does not touch anything, not an indicator of something ominous pending. Just a distortion of the back cover caused by the "surface tension" on the back cover itself.

The ONLY bad thing about this is yes, it does cause an issue typing on a flat surface. If I want to rock n roll, a Rush CD goes in.

C
    01-23-12 03:58 PM
    Mine is very slight
    01-23-12 07:05 PM
    Argh... Love my 16gb from ShopBB and decided to replace it with a 64gb. ShopBB gave me the runaround and was going to take 2 weeks to get here, so I picked up a 64gb from Walmart for the same price. 64 gigger gets here today, and instantly (before discovering this thread), I noticed a bulge because typing on it while it's laying on my desk causes it to flop around. I can actually spin it while laying flat. Not sure if I should go back through WalMart or go straight to RIM???

Also, has anyone with multiple PBs noticed a difference in the rubber ring around the edge of the screen in front. On my original 16gb, it's ever-so-slightly raised (close to flush with the screen itself) and feels great. On the 64gb, there's a definite "lip" on the edge of the screen.

I probably wouldn't have thought twice about either of these things had I not had the 16gb before. The difference is very noticeable, though.
    01-24-12 08:48 PM
    after 4 playbooks, CPW told me that they had contacted RIM and this was not a known fault. What a pile of rubbish. I got a refund, and am now going to wait for the new ones to come out.

Very disappointed.
    02-04-12 06:05 AM
    I believe the bulge on the back issue is being distorted. Not every PB lays perfectly flat, but that's not the same as the ones where the bulge is growing and overheating.
    02-04-12 01:38 PM
    I believe the bulge on the back issue is being distorted. Not every PB lays perfectly flat, but that's not the same as the ones where the bulge is growing and overheating.
    Then perhaps the real question is why every PB doesn't lay perfectly flat.
    02-04-12 01:40 PM
    Also, has anyone with multiple PBs noticed a difference in the rubber ring around the edge of the screen in front. On my original 16gb, it's ever-so-slightly raised (close to flush with the screen itself) and feels great. On the 64gb, there's a definite "lip" on the edge of the screen.
    This would concern me. If you watch any of the Playbook breakdown videos, you'll see that this is the 'point of entry' to open the device. This, combined with the bump is leading me to believe that some of the deep-discounted Playbooks might be refurbs. Combine this with the fact that it's been months since I read anything about back bulges or inset power buttons, and people telling about their new devices having April dates on them, it makes me wonder where the inventory for these 'firesale' devices is coming from.
    Last edited by louzer; 02-04-12 at 01:58 PM. Reason: removedextraneous quote.
    02-04-12 01:56 PM
    Then perhaps the real question is why every PB doesn't lay perfectly flat.
    Does your PB lay flat?
    02-04-12 01:57 PM
    Mine doesn't lay flat... And it sort of over heats
    02-04-12 02:37 PM
    Both of mine have been in Otterbox cases since I bought them. I open them up roughly once a month for a good cleaning and both are flat as a board.
    02-04-12 02:41 PM
    Both of mine have been in Otterbox cases since I bought them. I open them up roughly once a month for a good cleaning and both are flat as a board.
    Mine initial 32gig just came out of the otterbox about 2 days ago after being in one for 8 months with one or two momentary reprieves (to show someone the actual size). My miniscule bulge, if any, has not gotten any larger/bulgier. There is an offset at the back of the otterbox case which probably allows enough heat escape.
    02-04-12 03:31 PM
    i have a 16 GB with raised buttons. The right side lays pretty much flat. The left side has a wobble, it's not much but there. you can see the little bulge out the back.
    02-06-12 01:44 PM
    I told you guys. They like You!
    Jonamse likes this.
    02-06-12 07:49 PM
    I told you guys. They like You!
    Yes, indeed !

My 32GB came back from the RIM, battery replaced (charge count now 0, battery health 97% - according to Battery Guru) Power button raised a bit too.

Mine got total security wipe - so needed to reset all over again: (my Angry Birds achievements ) - but noticed that the screen setting got less than 90 seconds to turn off. (1 Min, 45 sec, 30 sec)

Then I noticed that mine got replaced: new one has different serial number. (it's got older number than mine)

There is slight bulge around the logo - but not like my previous one.

I asked details from RIM rep, so in day or so I should receive what happened.

Hope that my new one is not Lemon !
    02-06-12 11:48 PM
    My playbook is totally flat. It was bought in South Africa. The model I imported from the U.S for my wife has the bubble on the back. The bubble version was bought directly from RIM with the December sales. It also has the flush power button
    02-07-12 02:11 AM
    My temporary fix of the problem, as I mentioned before. Got hold of some rubber stops from my new kitchen cupboard and gave them a try. Works great to be fair. The tablet doesn't move at all while typing and is raised a bit so it has a better cooling. Pix below.

kennyliu, mikeplus1 and Cracklen like this.
    02-19-12 03:31 PM
    ^
    Great solution to the Bubble Bu11 Playbook problem
    02-19-12 03:48 PM
    Mine is in a case. It has a slight bulge when out of the case. It is also warm outside but you don' notice any heat through the case.
    02-19-12 04:19 PM
    The bulge on my PB seems like going away. I first noticed it during the update when I plugged it in cause the download is taking too long. The bulge was noticeable the whole day. After a few days, it slowly comes off. I just recently got my PB, btw. I'm not worrying about it anymore, though there is still a very minimal bump. I'm using a jacket so it's quite okay..
    03-09-12 07:41 AM
    Mine developed bulge over the last week
    03-14-12 09:30 PM
    Mine developed bulge over the last week
    This is not normal. You may be having overheating problems. I would call RIM.
    03-14-12 09:41 PM
    i was reading this and it all depends on what youve been doing, my playbook on a cold start was like a see saw on a flat surface, but ive been messing with it for about an hour playing Asphalt 6 and i put it down to make a brew and noticed it didnt wobble, the tablet is now flat, i shall let it cool off and see what happens.
    04-05-12 02:32 PM
    Just an update.
    After a few months of light use my PB refused to power up or charge. Phoned BB customer service form UK and reported all the problems I was facing with my unit. I also told them about my bulge on the back of the tablet. I was told that the bulge IS a fault (but most probably a symptom rather tan a fault istelf and I guess it's not onlyy a manufacturing problem but may occur when there is something wrong with the device). So I got a prepayed FedEx box from RIM to ship the unit for repair and 4 days later I received a brand new one with a perfectly flat back. I noticed also that the power button is raised and tacktile opposite to what it was before. Happy days! Now I'm facing a dilema whether to sell the PB and buy a Nexus 7 instead, the thing that holds me back is the hdmi out in P which the Nexus doesn't have. What would you do?
    07-06-12 07:14 AM
168 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD