View Poll Results: Does Your PlayBook Wobble On A Flat Surface?

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and my power button is flush

175 29.97%
  • No and my power button is raised

176 30.14%
  • Yes and my power button is flush

101 17.29%
  • Yes and my power button is raised

132 22.60%
    That's not a bad idea but might look kinda hokey. Makes me think of the old guys with the extra reflective tape on their car bumpers. Most cases will solve the minor bulge problem.
    01-01-12 07:00 PM
    i was just on the phone with rim for 2 days about this. mine was flat when bought i mid november, now it isnt and has grown a slight (not quite a mm) buldge. the rim people (high up after a few transfers) told me they made a change in manufacturing, leaving a bit more air flow room over the cpu. old models dont have it, only newer ones.

but, if yours was flat and now isnt, get it replaced. its an issue with heatsink and i think you will all regret not having it fixed later on down the road. now if yours came this way, no issue.

feel for heat, mine now heats up a lot just watching a web flash video, never did when new. rim is sending me a box to send mine in, you should do the same.
    01-01-12 08:50 PM
    i was just on the phone with rim for 2 days about this. mine was flat when bought i mid november, now it isnt and has grown a slight (not quite a mm) buldge. the rim people (high up after a few transfers) told me they made a change in manufacturing, leaving a bit more air flow room over the cpu. old models dont have it, only newer ones.

but, if yours was flat and now isnt, get it replaced. its an issue with heatsink and i think you will all regret not having it fixed later on down the road. now if yours came this way, no issue.

feel for heat, mine now heats up a lot just watching a web flash video, never did when new. rim is sending me a box to send mine in, you should do the same.
    So, how do I know if mine is one of the older or newer ones? I'm not sure if mine had it at first or not, I never noticed before and have had a leather folding case on it within a few days of purchase. There is a slight bulge now. I don't really want to exchange it if it's not necessary. Btw, I bought on 12/19/2011. Thanks.
    01-01-12 09:41 PM
    So, how do I know if mine is one of the older or newer ones? I'm not sure if mine had it at first or not, I never noticed before and have had a leather folding case on it within a few days of purchase. There is a slight bulge now. I don't really want to exchange it if it's not necessary. Btw, I bought on 12/19/2011. Thanks.
    Tough to know. Do you feel what you think is excessive heat from the logo under mild use? I do. Mine was bought in mid november and its an older unit. I'm not willing to take the chance. As a tech I have seen lots of devices and computers with slight heat issues, it always ends up killing the unit. Thermal limits are pushed to the max these days and even a little bit of extra heat, over time, will take its toll.

I remember Dell's with the bad caps on the boards about 6-8 years ago, the iMac G5's with bad caps etc. It only takes 1 little thing and boom, she's dead way before its time. To me, not worth the risk, I'll take a few days without my playbook before having it die in year 2. My opinion.
    01-01-12 09:54 PM
    Tough to know. Do you feel what you think is excessive heat from the logo under mild use? I do. Mine was bought in mid november and its an older unit. I'm not willing to take the chance. As a tech I have seen lots of devices and computers with slight heat issues, it always ends up killing the unit. Thermal limits are pushed to the max these days and even a little bit of extra heat, over time, will take its toll.

I remember Dell's with the bad caps on the boards about 6-8 years ago, the iMac G5's with bad caps etc. It only takes 1 little thing and boom, she's dead way before its time. To me, not worth the risk, I'll take a few days without my playbook before having it die in year 2. My opinion.
    Thanks for your reply. Mine doesn't feel hot, barely even warm and I've been using it on CB and other sites most of the day. I'm going to have to think this out. Thanks again.
    01-01-12 10:12 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Mine doesn't feel hot, barely even warm and I've been using it on CB and other sites most of the day. I'm going to have to think this out. Thanks again.
    Do the streamed video test. I find justin.tv a great place for this test. Watch something for 30 min and see what you think the back feels like temp wise. If you think its too hot, start thinking very carefully.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-01-12 10:37 PM
    I watched a movie on HBOGO the other day, and it didn't get hot at all.
    01-01-12 10:57 PM
    Do the streamed video test. I find justin.tv a great place for this test. Watch something for 30 min and see what you think the back feels like temp wise. If you think its too hot, start thinking very carefully.
    I did the test, watched an episode of Top Gear, left it in the case just for good measure and it was warm but not hot. Still need to think on it. Your input is appreciated! Thanks for your help
    01-01-12 11:31 PM
    I did the test, watched an episode of Top Gear, left it in the case just for good measure and it was warm but not hot. Still need to think on it. Your input is appreciated! Thanks for your help
    Top gear, love it. I just watched the india special on my Playbook yesterday. Killer. The part where the PM says they should do a fence mending mission to Mexico was too funny.

Hope its all good with your PB. if your at all concerned, send it in. Its only a few days of withdraw, you'll be OK and in the long run it just might be the right thing. Be Cool.
    Alex_Hong and Bob31464 like this.
    01-01-12 11:48 PM
    Top gear, love it. I just watched the india special on my Playbook yesterday. Killer. The part where the PM says they should do a fence mending mission to Mexico was too funny.

Hope its all good with your PB. if your at all concerned, send it in. Its only a few days of withdraw, you'll be OK and in the long run it just might be the right thing. Be Cool.
    How did you get access to watch Top Gear?

Another thought: Is this really the serial number printed in the bottom of the back cover?
    Because if it ever gets damaged and you had to replace it, that would give it a different number.
    Also what about refurbished units that get a new cover?
    01-02-12 07:45 AM
    16GB Playbook here. Bought it in Carephone Warehouse. Looks like it was produced in June 2011. Bulge is quite annoying although obviously its not a problem if Im not using it on the flat surface.
    One thing I did noticed is that when using it - if I press back of my playbook around logo area - I can "see it" on a main screen (its like pressing on monitor screen) - looks like something is "touching" screen from behind. Anyone experienced something similiar? Rest of the back area sees to be rock solid

Anyway - so what is the consensus here? Is this manufacturing defect? I checked all the threads regarding "bulge" and it seems to be full of opposite accounts - someone quoted RIMs support saying that its normal and then someone said that RIM admitted that it is a fault. Im confused:-)

I will try to exchange it in the shop though. If they have more in stock then I will try to find one without bulge at the back.

Thanks

D
    01-02-12 10:54 AM
    i personally feel most people do not have the experience in tech to decide if its a big deal or not. since if been a tech for a long time i feel i do and i say this. things like this are best delt with, leave well enough alone and in my opinion we will regret it.

as for top gear online, torrent sites or justin.tv easy. pm me if you need a hand.
    01-02-12 10:58 AM
    Yes I've got this bulge at the back aswell thought it was normal...won't Return tho hardly use the damn thing lol
    01-02-12 11:00 AM
    i personally feel most people do not have the experience in tech to decide if its a big deal or not. since if been a tech for a long time i feel i do and i say this. things like this are best delt with, leave well enough alone and in my opinion we will regret it.
    So if a PB has the bump on the back they should return it even though they are not experiencing any other problems with the unit?
    01-02-12 11:11 AM
    16GB Playbook here. Bought it in Carephone Warehouse. Looks like it was produced in June 2011. Bulge is quite annoying although obviously its not a problem if Im not using it on the flat surface.
    One thing I did noticed is that when using it - if I press back of my playbook around logo area - I can "see it" on a main screen (its like pressing on monitor screen) - looks like something is "touching" screen from behind. Anyone experienced something similiar? Rest of the back area sees to be rock solid

Anyway - so what is the consensus here? Is this manufacturing defect? I checked all the threads regarding "bulge" and it seems to be full of opposite accounts - someone quoted RIMs support saying that its normal and then someone said that RIM admitted that it is a fault. Im confused:-)

I will try to exchange it in the shop though. If they have more in stock then I will try to find one without bulge at the back.

Thanks

D
    Mine's a 16GB from Carphone Warehouse too. The bulge jus seems to be the back casing sticking a bit out. When I press the logo it flatens easily untin it stops on the interials and nothing appeares on the screen. I can almost bend the screen by pressing it harder but still nothing changes on the display.
    01-02-12 12:29 PM
    So if a PB has the bump on the back they should return it even though they are not experiencing any other problems with the unit?
    No, unless you are feeling excessive heat. The newer builds have the slightest bulge from the factory, for cooling. BUT its so small it should be barely perceptible.

The main thing is. If yours was flat and now is bulging, send it in. If your not sure, send it in. If it came like this, it should be ok but check for excessive heat.

It tough. I know for sure mine was flat new, I'm very OCD and would have noticed right away. But I do think this defect in manufacturing has something to do with people having wifi issues as mine wifi issues started only after the swelling. I think the SoC (CPU) heating up is having an adverse affect on wifi.

Sorry, i don't wish to see anyone freak out over this but I want to be sure anyone with a real issue gets is fixed before they regret it.
    01-02-12 12:36 PM
    flat back with raise power button .
    01-02-12 12:39 PM
    Listen up - a bulge is NOT normal.

It might only be a cosmetic fault but it is still a fault. Also it might be so minimal that it really does not matter.

Obviously something went a bit awry in the manufacturing process (molding or materials) and this bulging occurred.

If it appears to be getting worse then you should act accordingly.

The pb should not be a teeter totter or rolly polly.

Goggie Gif: Roly Poly Puppy - Loldogs, Dogs 'n' Puppy Dog Pictures - I Has A Hotdog!
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-02-12 01:48 PM
    Have two and both of them lay flat, no bulde. Also use mine alot and never gets "hot" slight change in temp IF I use it hour after hour but not hot.
    01-02-12 02:24 PM
    No, unless you are feeling excessive heat. The newer builds have the slightest bulge from the factory, for cooling. BUT its so small it should be barely perceptible.

The main thing is. If yours was flat and now is bulging, send it in. If your not sure, send it in. If it came like this, it should be ok but check for excessive heat.

It tough. I know for sure mine was flat new, I'm very OCD and would have noticed right away. But I do think this defect in manufacturing has something to do with people having wifi issues as mine wifi issues started only after the swelling. I think the SoC (CPU) heating up is having an adverse affect on wifi.

Sorry, i don't wish to see anyone freak out over this but I want to be sure anyone with a real issue gets is fixed before they regret it.
    I'm not freaked out. I'm glad you posted this info because now I know what to keep an eye on with my PB.

Mine always had a slight bump. It just very slightly wobbles if I'm typing on a flat surface but I tend to hold it while typing with one hand. As for heat, it barely gets warm.

I do have two dead/stuck pixels but I don't think that's anything to be concerned about.
    01-02-12 07:26 PM
    Well my 16gb was perfectly flat until I decided to watch 6 hrs of live streaming world junior hockey this over the past few days. The back of the playbook (by the logo) was minimally warm after maybe 30 minutes of streaming video (not too warm though). Now I have a bulge.

Dammit. Calling RIM today.
    01-03-12 09:43 AM
    so are you people saying you will return it for a bulge (should have been returned by now) actually getting new PB's from RIM without hassle??
    01-03-12 11:40 AM
    so are you people saying you will return it for a bulge (should have been returned by now) actually getting new PB's from RIM without hassle??
    Im returning mine - because when Im using it on the table typing with my both hands it not only wobbles but also something is "pressing" screen from the back in one particular place. Its the same effect as touching LCD screen with your finger. Im guessing its caused by the bulge causing playbook to bend a little when using it on the flat surface.
    01-07-12 06:51 AM
    i have just returned the 4th playbook to the carphone warehouse for this problem. i have told them that i will continue to do so till i get one that works. would it be better if i basically took one home and get rim to fix it or shall i just keep getting cpw to get me one from the warehouse till one doesnt swivel ? please help.
    01-23-12 12:22 PM
    i have just returned the 4th playbook to the carphone warehouse for this problem. i have told them that i will continue to do so till i get one that works. would it be better if i basically took one home and get rim to fix it or shall i just keep getting cpw to get me one from the warehouse till one doesnt swivel ? please help.
    Can't you get a refund from CPW and go purchase a PB somewhere else? You know Einstein's definition of insanity?
    01-23-12 12:32 PM
168 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD