View Poll Results: Does Your PlayBook Wobble On A Flat Surface?

Voters
584. You may not vote on this poll
  • No and my power button is flush

175 29.97%
  • No and my power button is raised

176 30.14%
  • Yes and my power button is flush

101 17.29%
  • Yes and my power button is raised

132 22.60%
    mine has massive bulge where it counts
    08-19-11 04:59 AM
    Mine not flat since the first day but use a case. Not an issue for me so far.
    08-19-11 05:31 AM
    After reading this thread through I am going to call RIM about it.
    08-19-11 07:40 AM
    After reading this thread through I am going to call RIM about it.
    Let us know what they say. I'll probably be doing the same later today.
    08-19-11 08:25 AM
    I just called customer support and they said that its nothing to be concerned about unless it gets worse or gets really hot. A slight amount of warmth is nothing to be concerned about though. The minor bulge on mine was noticed on day one and it hasnt gotten bigger or worse so I am going to assume that its a common but not serious manufacturing defect that we shouldnt worry about unless it changes in size or gets really hot.
    08-19-11 11:16 AM
    Here is a copy of the email that they just sent me:

Hello,

As a follow up to INC000023512599, the following summarizes your request:

If you have any questions concerning this request, please reply to this email within the next five (5) business days.

Details:
    BlackBerry PlayBook: There is a bulge on back.

Resolution:
    Explained slight convex back is normal design

If you have any questions concerning this request, please let us know and we'd be happy to help!

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Canada: 1-877-644-8405
    USA: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico: 1-855-651-4936
    [email protected]
    08-19-11 11:34 AM
    I just phoned tech support. She said it's definitely a known issue that's a manufacturing defect on some units, that it should not be bulging, and that it has to do with something to do with the battery that isn't right.

She said it's absolutely covered and they are replacing them.

She said that whether they'll send an exchange unit right away and allow a little time for me to then return the defective one, or will require I send in the defective one first, will depend on what the RMA dept has to say, and that she thinks it's partly based on my location.

I didn't have her put me through to the RMA dept, though. I'll do that tomorrow.
    10-05-11 03:45 AM
    Well, this is fun...

They gave me an RMA authorization to return it for repair after telling me it's a known issue and should be flat. They were very nice in sending me a return box via FedEx Priority Overnight, with a prepaid label that let me send it in via FedEx Priority Overnight.

Four business days later, I received it back via FedEx Priority Overnight.

Really great service... except for one minor, tiny little detail: It's exactly the same as it was before I sent it in. Same serial number. Same shape to the back cover. Same issue.

I-I-I-I-I-dentical!

Here's a video of it (after I got it back from repair).

Not a happy camper. It would have been better if they never told me to send it back in.

I will say that when I then called tech support again to ask what's up, I got a very nice guy in the RMA dept who seems very determined to get to the bottom of this for me.

We'll see.
    10-18-11 03:25 AM
    Mine has a a tiny bulge, but I never use it laying on a desk.
    Whether i hold it or inclined on the border of my keyboard or over the pouch, even if the screen permits quite any angle, I prefer having a slight inclination.

EDIT : and, I really wonder what this power button issue is about. Mine is perfect, even with my big fingers, I use it anytime to sleep/wake or stop my PB without any hassle.
    10-18-11 04:12 AM
    mine is very slidey when it lays flat as the logo is a little embossed, it hasent got any sort of battery bulge if that what you mean.
    10-18-11 05:10 AM
    I am now on my second PB having returned the first due to excessive, (IMHO), wobble. The 2nd unit has the exact same wobble! (Serial No is v.close to the first and same build date, so likely same batch).

I'm now not sure if to try and return for a 3rd, or just live with it.

I plan to get the OEM convertible case, can any of you confirm that this will mask the wobble? I understand the PB sort of 'clicks in' to this case??
    10-19-11 08:37 AM
    I'm fairly sure mine was perfectly flat when brand new, but when I went through the initial commissioning procedure (charging plus downloading the sw) is when it got very warm and warped out by about one mm. I had noticed it at that time.

I'll ignore it.
    10-19-11 09:32 AM
    Same serial number. Same shape to the back cover. Same issue. I-I-I-I-I-dentical!
    LOL. That happened to us once with a defective Nintendo Wii. The depot got mixed up and sent us back the exact same unit as we sent them, and with the same problem unfixed. It took several additional weeks to get it all sorted out. Good luck.
    10-19-11 09:39 AM
    Just got my Advanced Exchange RMA replacement unit. It doesn't have the bulge, which is just great. The PB looks more "professional" without the bulge I'd say .

I am happy with the RMA process and with my new PB that I can actually place on a desk and type on it. It took just one business day for me to get the replacement.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-14-11 at 10:43 PM.
    10-19-11 10:16 AM
    I plan to get the OEM convertible case, can any of you confirm that this will mask the wobble? I understand the PB sort of 'clicks in' to this case??
    I actually switched from Otterbox to the OEM Journal Case and that's when I start noticing the bulge. The journal case didn't mask it enough. The PB would still tip if place on a flat surface (not as much as without the case though). I don't know how different the two OEM cases are but from the pictures, I can tell that the difference is only in the materials used.
    10-19-11 10:19 AM
    The short answer is that the OEM Convertible Case does successfully eliminate the issue.

The longer answer is, “It depends.”

There are three positions in which you can orient the Convertible Case.

1. Fully opened and flat. The warped shape of the PB will probably not be noticeable. However, this configuration is not ideal for typing since the “cover” half is laying between you and the device.

2. Folded in half with the cover underneath the device. The wobbling issue will probably be compounded by the fact that the case itself won’t be stable at all. The “spine” will be introducing a considerable lack of stability in this orientation.

3. Folded into a “Z” shape (with the top of the Z being small). This unusual orientation actually makes the Convertible Case into a minimal but decent angled stand for the device on a desktop, somewhat like a very small wedge. It’s only putting the device at a very slight angle but it’s better than nothing. In this orientation, stability will be reasonably good. The bottom edge of the device is essentially flat on the desktop (the bulge is pretty much irrelevant in this situation). The top part of the device will have some cushioned “give” to it due to the case moving under it, but it’s no big deal (it’s barely annoying at all for me compared to the very annoying wobble of the device itself on a desktop without the case).

For what it’s worth, my device has a considerable bulge on the back (I have yet to successfully get it replaced), and yet for weeks I used it in the Convertible Case and the whole time I never once gave it a second thought. It was as if the bulge didn’t exist. The convex shape of the back is pretty much entirely masked for me when it's in the Convertible Case and I have the case in that Z orientation like a wedge.

By the way, I personally really like the Convertible Case. I can see myself going long periods of time with the device never coming out of the case. (The only reason I removed it recently was that my staff bought me a "Zipper Case" for my birthday, and I didn't want to tell them I had no need for it.)

One nice touch is that with the Convertible Case you can control the angles for viewing and for shooting video if you put it on chair.

The issue of not being able to charge it with the case closed is no issue to me. It’s simple to just fold it opened with the cover underneath. I put a microfiber cloth over the screen to keep it free of dust. Simple.
    Last edited by classact; 10-19-11 at 06:44 PM.
    10-19-11 06:42 PM
    I was thinking about the same on my playbook, because when I lay it on my desk I can spin it all the way around with ease. I have that carbon finer sticker that Kevin showed a while back, but I don't notice a wobble when I type on my desk. Who knows lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 07:42 PM
    Okay I believe i have figured out the issue and I believe no one should be worried about the "warping". I have 2 16gb with me and their serial numbers are way off. Here is what I discovered.

First model has an earlier serial number.
    1. Has sunken power button.
    2. Volume left button clicks, while the right button does not.
    3. The blackberry logo in the back is sunken into the Playbook. If you use your nail and go over one of the chrome logo you can feel if the logo is raised or lowered. This one is lowered since my nail gets caught on the black plastic of the case and wont continue on the case unless I lift my finger a little.

Newer serial number PB.
    1. Power button raised.
    2. Both volume buttons click now.
    3. The logo is raised slightly. When you look closely you can see the chrome pieces of the logo are not sunken, not flushed, but are a little raised out of the plastic of the case. When using your nail, you can clearly see your nail wont get caught on the case anymore as the logo is raised over the case.

My conclusion is they fixed certain issues with higher serial numbers, such as power and volume button. In doing so, I think 3 things either happened.
    1. They used a very slight but thicker logo, making it stick out of the case.
    2. The manufacturing plant wasn't pressing the logos in as deep as earlier versions.
    3. The back of the case in later serial numbers was made slightly different and the logo cant go as deep as before.

There you have it, the wobble is happening from the logo being raised slightly over the case. I don't believe its warping like other suggest, as warping would get worse with time specially with heat.
    10-20-11 10:10 AM
    I have to update my previous post and say the OEM Convertible Case does indeed completely eliminate the issue of the bulge on the back.

I should qualify that by saying it does so as long as you fold the case in the somewhat Z shape I describe, or if you just open the case and lay it flat provided the spine folds flat (which may take a little time to occur with the natural softening that comes with use, or which I'm sure you can easily help facilitate if necessary).

I totally love the Convertible Case.
    Last edited by classact; 10-28-11 at 05:58 AM.
    10-28-11 05:55 AM
    i apologize for dragging up an old thread... however, i have a question regarding the bulge issue.

Just got my 16gb PB for xmas, and so far i love it. Like others, my pb has a slight bulge under the chrome blackberry logo.

I know this is something that i can return it for, but I'm a bit leery to send it back (they ordered it through shopblackberry.com). So far I've had zero other issues. Besides the slight bulge, everything seems to be in order... which doesnt seem to be the norm.

Is this a safety issue, or something i should really be worried about? From what I've found, it doesnt pose a threat so to speak, other than just being an annoyance when you want to type on a flat surface. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it, and if it gets any bigger, I'll have to send it in.

Thanks everyone, this site has been a huge help
    12-27-11 10:38 AM
    It's certainly not a saftey issue. There are 2 batteries and they are on either side with the CPU in the middle. Nothing internal os bulging.
    Shop Blackberry is a third party site. Doing an exchange with RIM would most likely be a much better experience. If it bothers you return it for another but the next one may be the same or worse.
    Willard814 and pbmc like this.
    12-27-11 10:56 AM
    I'm pretty sure the "bulge" (which I have) is just from the BlackBerry logo being stamped into the metal and stretching it out a little bit.
    It's certainly nothing I would worry about, and certainly not something I'd return it over. Especially since if you put a case on it (which you should) you won't even notice it.
    Willard814 and Bob31464 like this.
    12-27-11 11:21 AM
    Yeah, that's what I figure...

Especially when everything else is good, no dead pixels, bridge issues, etc

Thank you!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 03:08 PM
    One PB is in a thin case to protect the screen (didn't want a screen protector) and the other sits in my office desk on the charging pod so if I had a minor bulge it would be a non-issue. Enjoy your new PB if the bulge is minor.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 03:56 PM
    Hi. I bought my playbook a couple of days ago and I have this bulge too. I'm not too bothered as I dont type on the table but I can imagine it causing problems for some users. I think it's just poor design or manufacture rather than a overheating issue or other problem. I was just thinking and came up with an idea. Do you know them sticky silicon round bumpers for kitchen cupboards? What if you stuck them in four corners of the devise. They're transparent so you wouldn't notice them that much and besides the playbook would be raised once layed flat so the heat would go away more easily.
    01-01-12 06:56 PM
168 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD