This is my first post at Crackberry.com. I may be taking a giant step in bucking the trend as I am seriously considering purchase of the 32GB PB which is available at a store (they only have one left, so I must keep the store name a secret). The price of the unopened box for the 32 GB PB is $199, which is too good to pass over. I have some questions so please bear with me for my ignorance.

1. I need a router for Wi-Fi connectivity (for the PB, my Mac desktop and my PC laptop).
    What brand router do you recommend and with what features? I am willing to spend up to $100 for one.

2. Once connected to W-Fi I do not need a data plan (like a smart phone). Is that correct? I have no intention at this time of getting a BB phone.

3. Video chat: besides Skype, how can one connect to friends if (a) they do not have a PB and (b) if they do have a PB?

4. I understand there is no instruction manual that comes with PB (common practice nowadays) so is there a good learning source besides the Blackberry Playbook site and user forums? Learning those gestures could be a steep learning curve for me.

5. Being a senior, i don't care much for games and most apps, so all those lack of apps talk doesn't bother me too much. I would of course like utilities apps. Now, with BB10 how is PB going to benefit from this upgrade if (a) one does have BB and (b) if one doesn't have a BB phone?

I'd really appreciate this forum's user input on these questions. When responding I'd appreciate if you can key your responses to the numbered questions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 312Lorden; 07-21-12 at 11:12 PM.
    07-21-12 11:10 PM
    Well routers are Wayyy over my head.. but I can answer

Click the links below my signature. they are in pdf format.
    07-21-12 11:49 PM
    That is great! The 98 page Users Manual should come in handy. As for the Blackberry keyboard that may come in handy too if I should one day decide to get that. Much appreciated.
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-22-12 12:06 AM
    There is ReelPortal for video chat and it is available for a variety of platforms. Is it imo.com or something like that for a web based chat.

You do NOT need data - just a wifi connection - well, to your isp so you can browser/email. Or use Starbucks or similar, library, etc.
    07-22-12 01:14 AM
    if you're already using internet on ur desktop using a modem, you can share the internet plan using wifi router.

so the point is you need a data plan from an isp.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-22-12 01:15 AM
    For "Video chat: ... (b) if they do have a PB" -- The PB has its own video chat app that works with other PB owners.

You must have WiFi working for the PB for the initial setup. Some people had problems with the initial setup at home, but were able to work around those problems by doing the setup somewhere else with free WiFi access (Starbucks, ...). WiFi access during the setup seems to be "pickier" during the initial setup than once the setup is finished.

From reports, the PB has problems with some WiFi routers. It seems that these problems are encountered with older routers, while recent routers generally work with no problems.

If you have a smartphone with a data plan that can create a local WiFi hotspot, the PB can have mobile internet access via that hotspot (i.e., the phone doesn't have to be a BlackBerry phone).

With BB10 (no earlier than sometime next year), the PB should get many new apps, especially the non-game apps that people are waiting for. The "user interface" part of the native development kit is still not ready for the PB, and will be initially available for the BB10 phones. Because this user interface part is missing, it has been difficult to write or port utility-type applications which use efficient native code. Porting games has actually been easier, because some major game engines have been ported to the PB.
    07-22-12 02:32 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Playbook, but I highly recommend you use that same $200 to get the new Google Nexus 7 instead. There is no comparison, it is not even close to being a fair fight at that price. Yes, the Blackberry fans here will point to memory, flash, hdmi, rear camera, multi-tasking, etc. As reasons to buy the Playbook instead...but they are simply wrong. I own both, and if you are new to tablets, like it seems, I highly suggest you go with the user-friendly Nexus 7.
    07-22-12 02:49 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Playbook, but I highly recommend you use that same $200 to get the new Google Nexus 7 instead. There is no comparison, it is not even close to being a fair fight at that price. Yes, the Blackberry fans here will point to memory, flash, hdmi, rear camera, multi-tasking, etc. As reasons to buy the Playbook instead...but they are simply wrong. I own both, and if you are new to tablets, like it seems, I highly suggest you go with the user-friendly Nexus 7.
    Depends on the person but really? Android being more "user friendly" than the PlayBook OS?
    07-22-12 03:20 AM
    seriously? Hahaha you're an either a troll fanboy or just a smart guy

An Android tablet more user friendly? Sorta like a 6 speed stick shift is a great starting point for a new driver huh? go get back under your bridge and wait for the 3 Billy Goats to pass by man...
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-22-12 03:49 AM
    I told you there would be strong reaction to my comments from Playbook owners. Trust your gut, but look at the reality of the situation. The Google Nexus 7 is the greatest 7" tablet ever made yet to date.
    07-22-12 04:18 AM
    I told you there would be strong reaction to my comments from Playbook owners. Trust your gut, but look at the reality of the situation. The Google Nexus 7 is the greatest 7" tablet ever made yet to date.
    That wasn't a strong reaction from me kid You're simply biased. I own devices across multiple platforms, sell devices from multiple platforms and get to play with devices from multiple platforms on a daily basis. And one thing that is completely irrefutable is that Android (including ICS and JB) is not very user friendly to those that aren't tech savvy to begin with. So for you to come and drop your BS propaganda on this guy that wants to buy a PlayBook to sway him simply based on your biased opinion is not smart. Google fanboys...
    rotorwrench, bungaboy, BLu and 2 others like this.
    07-22-12 04:55 AM
    That wasn't a strong reaction from me kid You're simply biased. I own devices across multiple platforms, sell devices from multiple platforms and get to play with devices from multiple platforms on a daily basis. And one thing that is completely irrefutable is that Android (including ICS and JB) is not very user friendly to those that aren't tech savvy to begin with. So for you to come and drop your BS propaganda on this guy that wants to buy a PlayBook to sway him simply based on your biased opinion is not smart. Google fanboys...
    You are doing the same thing, but you are no longer being civil towards me. As a career public servant and current elected official (I'm not a "kid" as you put it), I can control my temper even when hiding behind a computer screen.
    bodjor likes this.
    07-22-12 06:01 AM
    I agree with you eternalemb
    07-22-12 06:15 AM
    This is my first post at Crackberry.com. I may be taking a giant step in bucking the trend as I am seriously considering purchase of the 32GB PB which is available at a store (they only have one left, so I must keep the store name a secret). The price of the unopened box for the 32 GB PB is $199, which is too good to pass over. I have some questions so please bear with me for my ignorance.

1. I need a router for Wi-Fi connectivity (for the PB, my Mac desktop and my PC laptop).
    What brand router do you recommend and with what features? I am willing to spend up to $100 for one.

2. Once connected to W-Fi I do not need a data plan (like a smart phone). Is that correct? I have no intention at this time of getting a BB phone.

3. Video chat: besides Skype, how can one connect to friends if (a) they do not have a PB and (b) if they do have a PB?

4. I understand there is no instruction manual that comes with PB (common practice nowadays) so is there a good learning source besides the Blackberry Playbook site and user forums? Learning those gestures could be a steep learning curve for me.

5. Being a senior, i don't care much for games and most apps, so all those lack of apps talk doesn't bother me too much. I would of course like utilities apps. Now, with BB10 how is PB going to benefit from this upgrade if (a) one does have BB and (b) if one doesn't have a BB phone?

I'd really appreciate this forum's user input on these questions. When responding I'd appreciate if you can key your responses to the numbered questions.

Thanks.
    Hi There... welcome to the PB community!

1) Any 'decent' brand router should be fine for general internet/wi-fi connectivity - eg NetGear, Dlink, LinkSys, Cisco
    NOTE: some people have posted re: specific PB problems with specific Routers - before you buy a router, search on it's model number on CrackBerry to see if anybody has commented on it
    IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure your new WiFi Router is working absolutely fine (eg test it on your PC, Mac, Smartphone, other) BEFORE you try to set up your PlayBook, as PB needs completely functioning wifi access for the setup procedures (btw - my PB found my v cheap netgear router asap, and did the setup with no hitches)

2) No. Your ISP should already have supplied you with a Data Plan for your Internet usage (eg Unlimited, 10Gb pcm, 40Gb pcm). IF you plan to tether your PB to a SmartPhone (for mobile/remote internet browsing), then you need to investigate how much usage you are allowed on your smartphone contract

3)
    a) search the forums for alternatives to Skype - a lot of people rate ReelPortal (but it isn't a valid option for me for business use) - also some CB members have mentioned AOL Video chat (but I haven't tried this myself)
    b) the PB to PB video chat is built into the PB and is absolutely excellent (and if your lady friend has a 'bad hair day' she can always go to 'audio only' which turns off the video feed)

4) the PB manual is a .pdf that you can download from the BlackBerry website - they always update the manual when a new PB OS version is released

5) PB will get the BB10 OS one day - apparently.....

Hope this helps

All the best

Alex
    07-22-12 06:19 AM
    Here is another link you'll find helpful. (Apologies regarding the site name)

BlackBerry PlayBook - How-To Help and Videos - For Dummies
    nextcity likes this.
    07-22-12 06:31 AM
    I can relate, I'm a tech reviewer and we have all kinds of products coming in for review. Android is NOT a user friendly OS for a first time user. Period.

iOS is what I would call user friendly. BlackBerry OS? Not so much, However PlayBook OS? Definitely user friendly as well.
    07-22-12 11:52 AM
    If you want to do a good comparison between the Nexus 7 and the playbook and don't want to get flamed.. I would suggest a side by side comparison of the two devices. Other than more apps and on paper a faster processor (playbook is still fast enough to easily run heavy gaming and the UI is fast) on the Nexus 7, the playbook wins hands down just like it wins vs. the Kindle Fire. For the average user it does more than enough and then some.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-22-12 at 12:16 PM.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-22-12 12:02 PM
    BTW,

Back to the topic at hand... to the OP.. If you want to see what the playbook can do from some demo videos.. see the link below:

Sorry wrong link.. Here's the correct one for v2.0

http://demos.blackberry.com/playbook-os20/na/us/gen/
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-22-12 at 12:12 PM.
    07-22-12 12:06 PM
    How come an android tablet a user friendly?A home and a back button? As compare to pb which you can swipe virtually anywhere on the screen. I am not an android hater, in fact I have two android tablet 2.3 and ICS, even my 4 year old kid can perfectly use the pb compare to android.
    07-22-12 02:59 PM
    OP, the best thing to do is try both, if you are even considering another platform and you decide which is more user friendly, because my experience and those I know who are familiar with both prefer the UI of the PB. You'll even find posts on this forum from bashers that state that is one of the PBs strong points over other platforms. YOU research and decide.
    kbz1960, jafobabe and bungaboy like this.
    07-22-12 03:33 PM
    Wow, a good number of responses, even if some differ on opinion. Thanks all. Alex, thank you especially for answering specifically to the 5 questions. It makes my decision-making a little more focused.

P.S. Alex, I happen to use the Doro410gsm, a great and simple Swedish-made phone. And with a LOUD speaker too. (OK all you young turks, don't laugh!)
    07-22-12 03:46 PM
    You are doing the same thing, but you are no longer being civil towards me. As a career public servant and current elected official (I'm not a "kid" as you put it), I can control my temper even when hiding behind a computer screen.
    again, my temper is not out of control. I reckon you're just very thin skinned. Wouldn't last an hour around my frends.
    07-22-12 03:54 PM
    BTW,

Back to the topic at hand... to the OP.. If you want to see what the playbook can do from some demo videos.. see the link below:

Sorry wrong link.. Here's the correct one for v2.0

BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0 Demos, Help & Support - BlackBerry US

Thanks for the great link. I'll be watching it over an over.
    07-22-12 03:56 PM

Thanks for the great link. I'll be watching it over an over.
    No problem.. Enjoy!

Please spread the link to your friends.. I think for the price points the playbook is the most underrated tablet out there (hardware and software related) on the market IMHO and I've tried many competitor brands. If its app ecosystem was on par with Apple and Android, the playbook would be truly awesome. Again, for me it does what I need it to do and I do see the apps progressing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-22-12 05:29 PM
    Comments added after your questions:

What type of Internet connection do you have? Chances are, your provider may have already given you a router with your digital modem, if you are on a high-speed connection. The last three home connections I set up for friends used integrated modem/routers with built-in WIFI. Check your existing equipment, you may already have what you need. If you are on a dial-up connection, that will be problematic for local networking... You will need a dedicated connection for decent multi-computer Internet access. If you only have a digital modem with no router, most of the new Cisco/Linksys routers work fine and are under $ 100.00.

Correct

There is an excellent native video contact app that works exclusively between playbooks only. Others have mentioned third party apps, as I haven't tried them, I can't give you more guidance in this area

The tablet has a basic tutorial included on first setup. Here at Crackberry, there is an excellent tips and tricks thread stickied to the top of the Playbook forum. Additionally, the video links from RIM also posted are valuable.

The tablet apps operate independently from the phone apps, with the exception of the Bridge apps, which mirror information from your BB phone. If you don't have a BB phone, the tablet is perfectly functional on it's own.

Thanks.
    07-22-12 06:01 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD