Hi I just got a playbook and it is fine on some pages but seems very slow on others and sometimes wont even load them at all.

Can someone try this page on their playbook and let me know how long it takes to load if at all.

Home | Mail Online

I have 50 meg internet and on my pc its loaded in a few seconds. On my xperia play phone I can see the page after 5 seconds and it is fully loaded after about 20. On my playbook I dont see antything for 30 seconds and then it will usually fail before finishing loading the page.

Is my playbook faulty?
    01-08-12 09:43 AM
    Try going into the browser settings when this happens and turn off java script and/or flash and see if that helps.
    01-08-12 09:47 AM
    It took me about 3 seconds of "one thousand, two thousand, three thousand" variety. (In short, slightly better than a guesstimate.)

I have a 4 meg wireless connection.

HTH
    01-08-12 09:48 AM
    I'm not sure if it is your Playbook or not, but I can get to that website in a few seconds on mine without problem.
    01-08-12 09:49 AM
    Hi I just got a playbook and it is fine on some pages but seems very slow on others and sometimes wont even load them at all.

Can someone try this page on their playbook and let me know how long it takes to load if at all.

Home | Mail Online

I have 50 meg internet and on my pc its loaded in a few seconds. On my xperia play phone I can see the page after 5 seconds and it is fully loaded after about 20. On my playbook I dont see antything for 30 seconds and then it will usually fail before finishing loading the page.

Is my playbook faulty?
    Six seconds for my PB to load that page.

I doubt your Playbook is faulty.

It probably has much more to do with the quality of your WiFi connection. What OS are you running? OS1.08.6067 is the latest, but a previous 1.08 release had issues with some routers and WPA and 802.11n and I'm sure I've read that WPA still gives some problems (anyone confirm?).

The browser can be a bit jerky/slow on graphics-heavy sites, and the blue-bar getting there in fits and starts is fairly typical I reckon... but 30-seconds does seem excessive. Look to your WiFi router in the first instance though.

Edit: Also try clearing the cache in the PB browser settings. I've read that can speed things up.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-08-12 at 10:11 AM.
    01-08-12 09:57 AM
    Loaded in about 2 seconds, maybe you need to reset your PlayBook and router
    01-08-12 10:07 AM
    Six seconds for my PB to load that page.

I doubt your Playbook is faulty.

It probably has much more to do with the quality of your WiFi connection. What OS are you running? OS1.08.6067 is the latest, but a previous 1.08 release had issues with some routers and WPA and 802.11n and I'm sure I've read that WPA still gives some problems (anyone confirm?).

The browser can be a bit jerky/slow on graphics-heavy sites, and the blue-bar getting there in fits and starts is fairly typical I reckon... but 30-seconds does seem excessive. Look to your WiFi router in the first instance though.
    I am using WPA so guess that must be the problem (it is a n router but I have set it to 54g as that seemed more reliable for my connected devices). I have the latest OS version you mention. Strangely It seems to have been partly fixed (17 seconds now) All I did was disable javascript and then enable it again. The page will now load and not crash but it still seems too slow considering the power of the device.

So you think I should change my routers security?

Oh one other question, how do you guys find the scrolling of web pages? seems too slow to me and then you flick the page and it shoots off too fast :S
    01-08-12 10:10 AM
    I am using WPA so guess that must be the problem (it is a n router but I have set it to 54g as that seemed more reliable for my connected devices). I have the latest OS version you mention. Strangely It seems to have been partly fixed (17 seconds now) All I did was disable javascript and then enable it again. The page will now load and not crash but it still seems too slow considering the power of the device.

Oh one other question, how do you guys find the scrolling of web pages? seems too slow to me and then you flick the page and it shoots off too fast :S
    I use WEP and G and I've never had a problem with it. Going WPA to WEP: I guess it boils down to how security-paranoid you are, and if you are comfortable doing that.

Scrolling on the PB browser is sub-optimal for me too. And I am constantly cursing the inability to quickly jump to the top or bottom of the page. Maybe better page navigaion will come in OS2?

Edit: BTW, some N-router can use dual frequencies. I've read of problems with that too - you need to force it to only use a single frequency band, but I can't recall the details, sorry.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 01-08-12 at 10:19 AM.
    Badasschris likes this.
    01-08-12 10:16 AM
    I use WEP and G and I've never had a problem with it. Going WPA to WEP: I guess it boils down to how security-paranoid you are, and if you are comfortable doing that.

Scrolling on the PB browser is sub-optimal for me too. And I am constantly cursing the inability to quickly jump to the top or bottom of the page. Maybe better page navigaion will come in OS2?
    Great thanks for your help. It's such a pain changing security passwords but if it speeds this up it will be worth it.

Another unrelated question but I really wanted to install a few android apps on this (specifically an epub reader and a comic book app preferably aldiko and perfect viewer) do you know if this kind of app would work on the playbook? Also I don't quite understand the whole running android apps on playbook do you have to first launch an android launcher and then from that launch your android app?

EDIT

Actually I think there must be something else wrong as it is now not loading the page at all. Seems after a restart it will load the page but after using the browser for a little bit everything goes slow and that page specifically (probably because it is so big with so many pictures) doesn't load at all. Confused. Will still see if WEP helps but I'm not confident anymore
    Last edited by Badasschris; 01-08-12 at 10:44 AM.
    01-08-12 10:26 AM
    You might also go to Browser options and clear the cache (and maybe history) periodically. Also, some folks have found that changing the CHANNEL helps as other routers nearby may also be using say Channel 6 or 5 or 1, etc.

Turning off N has helped even leaving wpa working.
    01-08-12 11:24 AM
    Loading fine here....
    01-08-12 11:33 AM
    Took 5 secs to load page on my PB
    01-08-12 11:42 AM
    Great thanks for your help. It's such a pain changing security passwords but if it speeds this up it will be worth it.
    No worries. We're here to help.

Another unrelated question but I really wanted to install a few android apps on this (specifically an epub reader and a comic book app preferably aldiko and perfect viewer) do you know if this kind of app would work on the playbook? Also I don't quite understand the whole running android apps on playbook do you have to first launch an android launcher and then from that launch your android app?
    There's no Android support on OS1. OS2 will be along "shortly" - world+wife seems to be convinced it'll come in February, I guess we'll see.

In OS2, Android player is built into the OS - there's no Android Launcher App that you run - You just touch an Android app icon (that has been obtained from AppWorld) and it runs like a native PB app would. Many Android Apps will run already under the OS2 Beta (intended for Devs to test their Apps), so signs are good for when OS2 is released officially. There's a list of "known to be working" Android Apps on one of the Playbook forums here. The android Kindle app seems to be high on many people's list!

There are several native e-book Apps available already - I use an App called Book Reader and one called Comics for, erm, comics. They both work well. Have a scurry around BB Appworld on your Playbook and see what's out there. Also stop by the Playbook Apps forum on Crackberry... lots of good apps are announced in there.

Actually I think there must be something else wrong as it is now not loading the page at all. Seems after a restart it will load the page but after using the browser for a little bit everything goes slow and that page specifically (probably because it is so big with so many pictures) doesn't load at all. Confused. Will still see if WEP helps but I'm not confident anymore
    Change your router settings, reset router and Playbook so they start from scratch, clear the browser cache, and it'll (probably) sort itself out. Some pages do load slowly, and clearing the cache now and again seems to help clear the tubes.

Don't be down-hearted, I doubt things are beyond hope yet.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-08-12 01:07 PM

That happened with me also - can't explain it - but when one of the updates came out my browsing was doing what you described - hanging and freezing. All I did was disable javascript and enable it again and it cleared up. I forgot about that.

You will get used to the proper amount of flick to control your scrolling - it does take practice to judge how fast to flick. Not too fast not too slow - it's a goldilocks thing. (right jafo?)
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 02:23 PM.
    01-08-12 02:21 PM
    Just about the same as you - 30 secs or so if it loads, but usually it fails.
    I'm using WPA, but anything else I connect is fine (laptop, internet radio, phone)
    so not sure why the Playbook would have a problem with it?
    01-08-12 04:05 PM
    I am having the same problem. Did anyone of you installed the latest OS upgrade? I am sure it is not my internet connection since it is working perfectly on other devices. Heck, even in the playbook it loads the app world and facebook quite snappily. Besides the sites with which it is struggling to load are commonplace like google, bing or duckduckgo.

It loads up to about 1/3 of the bar then stops. After that it might load the site very sloooooowly or not at all.

It worked perfectly until this morning when I did the latest OS updgrade, after that it has gone down. To make things funnier, gmail synching has stopped to function in the messages app. I might try to reset the captcha but the browser wont load it...
    Last edited by lasm2000; 08-02-12 at 07:45 PM.
    08-02-12 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD