I did an unscientific comparison between the 3 browsers (BB, Fast Browser and Origami Browser)
    I ran the test 5 times with Java and Flash on and 5 times with them off for each of the browsers.
    My internet speed at the time was 12-18 Mbs down and 2-4 Mbs up
    I used CNN.com and cleared all browsing history and data after each test.

Results

BB 12-14 sec and 23-30 sec
    Fast Browsser 11-13 sec and 25-28 sec
    Origami 11-12 sec and 22-26 sec

Z10 11-12 sec (flash disable only) and 13-15 second.
    dmlis and tommyv like this.
    08-23-13 12:27 PM
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. Another good browser to check out is ......

BlackBerry World - Evolution Web Browser with Ad Blocker
    08-23-13 12:36 PM
    I did an unscientific comparison between the 3 browsers (BB, Fast Browser and Origami Browser)
    I ran the test 5 times with Java and Flash on and 5 times with them off for each of the browsers.

Results

At this point you aren't going to find too many people here will to argue the fact that they 2 year old PlayBook is not very fast. Mine is pretty much a kids toy at this point - kids games and Disney videos. My 3 year old granddaughter can operate it better than my wife ever could.

Now that I have a modern smartphone, I can do quite a bit on it that I had used the PlayBook for. I now believe that Steve Jobs was right - a 7" tablet is not an IDEAL size. Phone for the basic stuff then a larger screen like an 10" Tablet or an even larger laptop is a better combo... at least for me.
    08-23-13 02:44 PM
    For me, using the stock browser, I get 4 to 5 seconds with flash and java off, and 15 seconds with them on.
    08-23-13 03:07 PM
    For me, using the stock browser, I get 4 to 5 seconds with flash and java off, and 15 seconds with them on.
    Did you clear cache? I could get those numbers if I didn't clear cache.

Posted from my ??????
    08-23-13 05:49 PM
    At this point you aren't going to find too many people here will to argue the fact that they 2 year old PlayBook is not very fast. Mine is pretty much a kids toy at this point - kids games and Disney videos. My 3 year old granddaughter can operate it better than my wife ever could.

Now that I have a modern smartphone, I can do quite a bit on it that I had used the PlayBook for. I now believe that Steve Jobs was right - a 7" tablet is not an IDEAL size. Phone for the basic stuff then a larger screen like an 10" Tablet or an even larger laptop is a better combo... at least for me.
    This test wasn't meant to demonstrate the performance of the playbook. It was to show the difference between the 3 browsers. There were tons of post stating how the 2 non stock browser is way faster.

Posted from my ??????
    08-23-13 05:53 PM
    Many people have said that they think one is faster than the other. This kind of testing will tell the tale.
    Good job.
    08-23-13 06:33 PM
    Did you clear cache? I could get those numbers if I didn't clear cache.
    Cleared cache and history, as the OP did.
    edit- oops, I see that you're the OP.
    08-23-13 06:36 PM
    Cleared cache and history, as the OP did.
    edit- oops, I see that you're the OP.
    Wow that is amazing. My pc at home can't bring it up that fast. I'm very surprise because there so much content including ads on the Cnn site.

Posted from my ??????
    08-23-13 06:47 PM
    Pacoman03 did you wait until the page is fully loaded or when the page appeared?

Posted from my ??????
    08-23-13 06:57 PM
    Pacoman03 did you wait until the page is fully loaded or when the page appeared?

Posted from my ??????
    I waited till it fully loaded (when the progress bar went away). Here's a video I did about a year ago of the browser, with flash and java off.

08-23-13 07:14 PM

I disagree with you. I find the PlayBook plenty fast, although bandwidth traffic can sometimes slow it down like with any other device. I mean, really, using DigitalMadness's change comparison , is a 2 to 15 second wait compared to the Z10 really a justification to relegate the PlayBook to "toy" status? Have youheard Louis C. K. on Cell Phones and Flying ( )?

Second, I continue to find my Playbook very productive and convenient for my personal business and entertainment on a daily basis. And I find the 7" form ideal, between my 4.2" Z10 and my big screen plasma. I love my Blackberries, but if they decided to change exclusively to an 8" or 10 or > form, I'd switch to a 7" ios or Android tablet. I'll most happily stay with my 7" PlayBook until it dies :-(.
    08-24-13 12:01 PM

Results

I think they all rely on the same code used in the stock browser, so there shouldn't be any speed difference. I just like the fact that fast browser makes it easiest to toggle the javascript and that makes the browsing experience better. It's got the best adblocking among the 3 browser which helps the speed.
    08-24-13 01:42 PM
    I disagree with you. I find the PlayBook plenty fast, although bandwidth traffic can sometimes slow it down like with any other device. I mean, really, using DigitalMadness's change comparison , is a 2 to 15 second wait compared to the Z10 really a justification to relegate the PlayBook to "toy" status? Have youheard Louis C. K. on Cell Phones and Flying ( )?

Second, I continue to find my Playbook very productive and convenient for my personal business and entertainment on a daily basis. And I find the 7" form ideal, between my 4.2" Z10 and my big screen plasma. I love my Blackberries, but if they decided to change exclusively to an 8" or 10 or > form, I'd switch to a 7" ios or Android tablet. I'll most happily stay with my 7" PlayBook until it dies :-(.
    I agree. I don't have a tablet (still want a PlayBook), but I'm only interested in a 7" tablet.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 04:27 PM
    Those who deride 7" screens are often FOS, because in other conversations they are pimping phones with 4" screens for watching videos.The truth is, the 7" screen is perfect for everything mobile except telephone calls and putting in your pocket. I'd rather have a 7" tablet and a old-fashioned flip phone than a single iPhone5 if I'm on the move..
    chaosdivine likes this.
    08-24-13 05:57 PM
    My 3 year old granddaughter can operate it better than my wife ever could.
    Obviously, the kid inherited a different set of genes! (apologies in advance!)
    08-25-13 11:20 AM
    I think they all rely on the same code used in the stock browser, so there shouldn't be any speed difference. I just like the fact that fast browser makes it easiest to toggle the javascript and that makes the browsing experience better. It's got the best adblocking among the 3 browser which helps the speed.
    I always wonder if the ad blocker speeds up or slows down the browser.

Posted from my ??????
    08-26-13 11:06 AM
    I always wonder if the ad blocker speeds up or slows down the browser.
    Posted from my ??????
    It should generally speed it up because you don't download the ads. That said, badly coded adblocks have increased computation time with the number of block sites. In this case, if the list is large, it could be slower to block than download the actual link.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-26-13 11:41 AM
    I just did a security wipe on my playbook. This is the second time doing it. The first time was when 2.0 was released.
    It is a pain in the **** to do if you have lots of apps like me but it is worth it.

My browser performance has substantially improved. 4-6 sec (with flash and java off) and 18-20 sec (on). Similar number as Pacoman03.
    Not sure if it is the wipe cleaning up dead junk or the fact that I have more free storage space (didn't install all the apps I had before) which cause the speed up. The overall responsiveness of the playbook seems to have improved as well.
    08-26-13 02:59 PM
    Just did more testing.
    The origami's ad blocker works very well. I'm able to get the timing down to 13-15 second with flash and java on. This is close to the z10 performance.
    I'm a happy camper.

Posted from my ??????
    FF22 likes this.
    08-27-13 12:02 PM