I've been using my Playbook for ages now to lull me to sleep with a favourite radio station and wake me next morning with the alarm.

About last Friday or Saturday, the radio station would no longer connect through the standard PB browser. I could still listen to other stations, though, using the same technique.

Yesterday, I found that a laptop could connect to the station, so made a determined effort to sort out the Playbook. I discovered that a cheapo Android tab would not connect, but would connect via TuneIn. The Playbook would not connect via the built in browser, but would connect through "SimpleBrowser".

I left this running through the night, but woke about 4 am to hear the radio fade to silence. The alarm didn't go off at the normal 6.30 time and the battery was totally flat. I usually only have to charge the battery every 3 or 4 days using the other browser.

Is there a better browser to try? I'm going to try to contact the station (WSM) to see if they have done something to the data they stream.
    08-11-14 03:59 AM
    I've been using my Playbook for ages now to lull me to sleep with a favourite radio station and wake me next morning with the alarm.

About last Friday or Saturday, the radio station would no longer connect through the standard PB browser. I could still listen to other stations, though, using the same technique.

Yesterday, I found that a laptop could connect to the station, so made a determined effort to sort out the Playbook. I discovered that a cheapo Android tab would not connect, but would connect via TuneIn. The Playbook would not connect via the built in browser, but would connect through "SimpleBrowser".

I left this running through the night, but woke about 4 am to hear the radio fade to silence. The alarm didn't go off at the normal 6.30 time and the battery was totally flat. I usually only have to charge the battery every 3 or 4 days using the other browser.

Is there a better browser to try? I'm going to try to contact the station (WSM) to see if they have done something to the data they stream.
    Was anything else running at the time? I don't use simple browser that much so I wouldn't know. And Ive always had bad battery life with my playbook. But maybe you should try a different browser from the App World?
    Also, I don't see why Simple Browser would work better than the stock Browser because AFAIK, Simple Browser just turns off flash and some other settings (not positive about this, as it may have been a different app). But if that's the case, then you could try matching Simple Browser's settings onto the stock Browser (ex. turn on/off flash). Hope you find a solution. Also, why dont you leave it charging over night?
    08-13-14 02:10 PM
    Was anything else running at the time? I don't use simple browser that much so I wouldn't know. And Ive always had bad battery life with my playbook. But maybe you should try a different browser from the App World?
    Also, I don't see why Simple Browser would work better than the stock Browser because AFAIK, Simple Browser just turns off flash and some other settings (not positive about this, as it may have been a different app). But if that's the case, then you could try matching Simple Browser's settings onto the stock Browser (ex. turn on/off flash). Hope you find a solution. Also, why dont you leave it charging over night?
    Thanks for the reply.

The situation has resolved itself. What I think happened was that the radio station was in the process of changing some part of the feed and may have got some digital rights management or similar setup wrong. Now, a few days later, the appearance of the app in the standard browser has changed and all has come good again. I am back to 3+ days battery life.

I tried "Simple Browser" again without looking at any settings and it does seem to drain the battery. When I have time I'll try matching the settings of the 2 browsers.

I don't charge it overnight simply because the battery life is so good and I don't like even more wires near the bed. I need the PB accessible so I can turn off the alarm in the morning.
    08-13-14 06:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

The situation has resolved itself. What I think happened was that the radio station was in the process of changing some part of the feed and may have got some digital rights management or similar setup wrong. Now, a few days later, the appearance of the app in the standard browser has changed and all has come good again. I am back to 3+ days battery life.

I tried "Simple Browser" again without looking at any settings and it does seem to drain the battery. When I have time I'll try matching the settings of the 2 browsers.

I don't charge it overnight simply because the battery life is so good and I don't like even more wires near the bed. I need the PB accessible so I can turn off the alarm in the morning.
    That's good to hear. Idk your trick but ive never gotten more than a few hours battery life on my playbook, i even wiped it recently
    08-13-14 06:39 PM