View Poll Results: If you repeat the steps below does your back button work?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - I can still use the back button.

7 70.00%
  • NO - The back button is greyed out.

3 30.00%
    I haven't seen any mention of this before so I wanted to see if anyone else experienced it.

I have seen a very repeatable bug regarding the back button in the browser. if i am on a webpage and open a link in a new tab, then close that tab and go back to the original tab i am not able to use the back button on that page. it does not happen 100% of the time, but i'd say 75-80% at least.

EXAMPLE: Open the main forum page, then select a thread. inside that thread hold a link till the option to open it in a new tab appears and select it. let the new tab fully load and look over the page. Now hit the tabs button and close that new tab so the original one is left, in that tab try to use the back button to go back to the main forum page and it will be greyed out.

Curious if anyone else can repeat this bug? Thanks.
    Last edited by UnifiedTechs; 04-30-11 at 08:46 PM.
    04-30-11 08:42 PM
    NOT a bug. When you open a link in new tab, it doesn't affect the history state of the current tab.
    04-30-11 08:46 PM
    But it does affect the history state of the current tab. Please read my post again, the history state of the original tab is no longer there on my playbook.
    04-30-11 08:55 PM
    I am on 1.0.1.1710 and the back button just works fine.
    04-30-11 09:00 PM
    I understand your post and that you are talking about the history of the first tab opened and not the second, but I was not able to duplicate your issue with many attempts. But I have seen instances where I know there was history in my original tab but coming from a second tab the back button is grayed out. So I do understand there is an issue here. I *think* that the issue I have seen is when a new tab is opened automatically, like a pop up that opens in new tab, and I close it, then I can't use the back button. I'll have to pay closer attention to how it's happening exactly. But I could not duplicate it by forcing a new tab like you described.
    04-30-11 09:07 PM
    My Back Button/arrow is somewhat flaky. I think that the upper left corner is less sensitive. I admit I have not looked up how the screen/touch stuff works.

I find that I can press the BackButton/arrow a time or two and it does not go back to the previous page. The "touch" has registered because I see the arrow turn blue but nothing occurs. I will touch it again and again it turns blue but does not go to the prior page. But I've found that if I actually touch/press it with my thumb coming from the top so my thumb is coming from over the upper bezel to contact the back arrow, it will generally work. It could be my screen is slightly impaired in the upper left. I'd say I was not making appropriate contact, but, again, the arrow does turn blue but with no response moving to the prior page.

In my case, this has nothing to do with Tabs being opened or closed.

Sorry, if this is not responsive to your query.
    04-30-11 09:10 PM
    As I was typing a reply I noticed white bars in my keyboard so I rebooted my playbook for the first time since the last software update and i can no longer repeat this as readily as before. I was hopping reboots would be a thing of the past with QNX.

Even with the bugs I'm loving my PB, yesterday I dropped my iPad on an employees desk and told him to enjoy it because i had not used it since i bought my PB. I have faith RIM will fix them soon enough!
    04-30-11 09:14 PM
    This happens frequently to me too, but not always. I believe it's a mixture of bug or memory management. Sometimes when returning to a tab, instead of it maintaining the previous state, it completely reloads the page. Hence I lose my spot on the page, or worse, lose form data I have entered or must restart a video that I was partway through. Usually this is accompanied by the 'back' arrow being disabled and so I can't navigate to previous pages.
    04-30-11 10:07 PM
    I have also experienced the same problem with the browser on occasion. I assumed it is a bug and will hopefully be fixed next update.
    04-30-11 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD