Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Hi I have an old playbook I would like to give to my grandparent to keep him occupied during a stay in hospital however the USB port is broken.

I have bought the magnetic charger and got it charged up however the app store is pretty shoddy and I would really like to get some of the additional apps on there, is there any options to get android converted apps on there without a working USB port?

Thanks,

Db
    05-21-19 04:50 PM
    Hi I have an old playbook I would like to give to my grandparent to keep him occupied during a stay in hospital however the USB port is broken.

I have bought the magnetic charger and got it charged up however the app store is pretty shoddy and I would really like to get some of the additional apps on there, is there any options to get android converted apps on there without a working USB port?

Thanks,

Db
    Unfortunately, no. You need a working usb connection to side-load android apps on there.
    05-21-19 06:10 PM
    Actually, incorrect: you CAN sideload Android apps over WiFi by using the BB10/Playbook app manager Chrome extension.

Just keep in mind that many Android apps won't work; the PB runtime is ancient (Gingerbread 2.3). So you'll likely be doing a lot of trial and error. The app store also contains some repackaged Android apps (like Maxthon browser, Dolphin browser, etc)
    Last edited by mh1983; 05-22-19 at 09:09 AM.
    brookie229 likes this.
    05-22-19 08:17 AM
    Actually, incorrect: you CAN sideload Android apps over WiFi by using the BB10/Playbook app manager Chrome extension.
    Ahhh--totally forgot about that extension. Firefox also had one for the PlayBook/BB10 but I've never used either. Thanks for the correction.
    mh1983 likes this.
    05-22-19 08:25 AM

Just keep in mind that many Android apps won't work; the PB runtime is ancient (Gingerbread 2.3). So you'll likely be doing a lot of trial and error. The app store also contains some repackaged Android apps (like Maxthon browser, Dolphin browser, etc)
    Yeah it worked great for both the PlayBook and BB10... and still does.

Getting apps that work with the PlayBook... that's something else. Might search for GoodEReader, they had a lot of apps at one time that had already been converted. Problem is when everyone started using BB10 they didn't really keep things separate.
    05-23-19 01:18 PM