Hi I've never done this before and posted on forums. So I'm sorry if I'm posting something that somebody has already asked BUT it's a question I need to know the answer to.

Lastnight the screen on my blackberry stopped working. I turned my phone off to conserve battery and when I turned it back on the screen stopped working. So I'm looking at investing in a new phone, but before I do that I think I'm going to buy a playbook because I don't have teh cash. My question is: If I were to purchase a playbook, how does the bridging work? Does it just use my email or would I have to download an app on my blackberry and then download the same app on playbook.

Could I log into my blackberry account using a friends phone, bridge that phone with my playbook so I'd have my BBM contacts and then he could go back to using his own blackberry account? Or would I have to be constantly logged in on his phone for my tablet to stay connected?

Sorry about the run-ons and what not. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    07-15-12 04:40 PM
    I have a Torch 9810 and Playbook, and have only been able to make the bridge work successfully about 20% of the time. I can access BBM, calendar, contacts, but not messages. A second password screen pops up asking for my phone password, and when I give it, it says It's not correct. So I no longer expect to access emails on the PB.

Even if it did work flawlessly, you'd still need your phone screen to enter bridge connection codes, etc.

Good luck.
    07-15-12 05:28 PM
    Your BBID would have to be logged on his phone to use BBM, email, notepad etc. It's not simple to switch back and forth. My Bridge connection works very well BTW.
    07-15-12 05:36 PM
    Without your screen working on your BB, you won't be able to establish the Bridge connection. You have to download the BlackBerry Bridge app on the phone and establish the connection.
    07-15-12 05:43 PM
    You would need to install the BlackBerry Bridge app on your BB phone. Then you would have to run that app to pair your phone with your new PlayBook, which requires entering a code or using the camera. I imagine this would be quite hard to do without a working display on your phone.

Unfortunately RIM never fully ported BBM to the PB, so it remains dependent on your phone's BBM app. So bridging to your friend's BB wouldn't restore your BBM functionality.

You might consider looking into replacing your phone's display yourself. Often it is as simple as using a screwdriver. Check eBay for inexpensive DIY kits.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 07-15-12 at 06:16 PM.
    07-15-12 05:50 PM
    You might inquire in that specific phone's forum and maybe someone can suggest a way to get it working.
    07-15-12 06:58 PM
    What phone do you have and are you positive your screen is shot? There have been good answers to your question above, so I'll just throw in that most have no problems with bridging their BB and PB, based on the posts here on CB and two other forums. Many owners leave their BB and PB bridged all the time. My work PB is bridged a minimum of 7hrs a day, 5 days a week. We're dependent on our PBs being bridged as our native email and calendar is disabled, communication and calendar through the phone only. Our experience with bridging has been excellent. Don't forget remote either, very handy.
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-15-12 09:39 PM
    I've tried this question elsewhere. What phone works best with Playbook (in Canada).

Since I don't have a great need of a cellphone, except as a wifi hotshot, and to tether and bridge, what is my least expensive option (phone wise)?

Thanks
    07-17-12 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD